questions

momoffive

My son is 18 months old. He had RSV, that took forever to go away, and pneumonia before three months of age. He had a lot of colds until that fall (9 months) and then just a lot of nose mucous since. He has issues with malabsorbed food and extremely foul smelling stools. This started when he started eating solids. The smelly part was always though.

He has been tested for celiac's disease via an intestional biopsy. He doesn't have all the criteria to be diagnosised with it so he needed to respond to the diet. Most ppl respond within days, he has had minimal results in six months. His weight yo-yo's up and down - but he tends to live around the 30th percentile. (he has four siblings that were all 95% at his age)

He did have two sweat tests, at an accredited center. His scores were 37 and a 23. The insurance at the time would not pay for the ambry. His current insurance will pay if I can get someone to run it. I know my pedi would order another sweat if I asked (ordered) him too - but he is convinced this is NOT cf. We are seeing a genetic doctor in mid sept - we are hoping he will run the full panel. I can pretty much make him order the full panel right?

His other symptoms are

cyanosis around his mouth
his voice is very nasal, like his nose is always plugged
he loves, loves, loves salt
his chloride levels are typically elevated in the blood tests
His mucous is very thick and sticky - even his spit up
He is now cycling between very thick stools (consipation) and very loose

oh and we did the fecal fat assay. He was barely eating at the time - but it was normal. (a 2 with a range of 2 - 7)

I should also tell you that he is selective IgA defincant and has a bleeding disorder called von Willebrand's disease (type 2A). That is another complicating factor with the pedi - he doesnt believe that he could have ALL of those things and CF too.

My main question is what were your children's sweat scores? (I am interested in the difference in the two) That and advice on how to MAKE someone order the test for my son. His case manager assures me that insurance will cover it.

Thanks so much!

momoffive

My son is 18 months old. He had RSV, that took forever to go away, and pneumonia before three months of age. He had a lot of colds until that fall (9 months) and then just a lot of nose mucous since. He has issues with malabsorbed food and extremely foul smelling stools. This started when he started eating solids. The smelly part was always though.

He has been tested for celiac's disease via an intestional biopsy. He doesn't have all the criteria to be diagnosised with it so he needed to respond to the diet. Most ppl respond within days, he has had minimal results in six months. His weight yo-yo's up and down - but he tends to live around the 30th percentile. (he has four siblings that were all 95% at his age)

He did have two sweat tests, at an accredited center. His scores were 37 and a 23. The insurance at the time would not pay for the ambry. His current insurance will pay if I can get someone to run it. I know my pedi would order another sweat if I asked (ordered) him too - but he is convinced this is NOT cf. We are seeing a genetic doctor in mid sept - we are hoping he will run the full panel. I can pretty much make him order the full panel right?

His other symptoms are

oh and we did the fecal fat assay. He was barely eating at the time - but it was normal. (a 2 with a range of 2 - 7)

I should also tell you that he is selective IgA defincant and has a bleeding disorder called von Willebrand's disease (type 2A). That is another complicating factor with the pedi - he doesnt believe that he could have ALL of those things and CF too.

My main question is what were your children's sweat scores? (I am interested in the difference in the two) That and advice on how to MAKE someone order the test for my son. His case manager assures me that insurance will cover it.

Thanks so much!

momoffive

His other symptoms are

Thanks so much!

momoffive

His other symptoms are

Thanks so much!

momoffive

His other symptoms are

Thanks so much!

momja

I was unable to acquire sweat results on my little guy but it seems that your son's scores would totally raise a flag for the genetic testing to be done. There's many on here with lower numbers and CF. I would push for Ambry genetic testing.

You should be able to ask for the test knowing that your insurance will cover for it....We should be able to ask for it regardless but that's another issue.

momja

I was unable to acquire sweat results on my little guy but it seems that your son's scores would totally raise a flag for the genetic testing to be done. There's many on here with lower numbers and CF. I would push for Ambry genetic testing.

You should be able to ask for the test knowing that your insurance will cover for it....We should be able to ask for it regardless but that's another issue.

momja

momja

momja

Alyssa

Many people on this board have sweat tests in the 20's and 30's - post on the adult boards and you will get far more replies.

My kids sweat test numbers are 38 and 41 -- my daughter was tested repeatedly when she was 5 years old and I was told she did not have CF. Fast forward 8 years, she got a full panel and we found out they were wrong! Then we find CF in our completely non-symptomatic 18 year old (at the time) son too!!!

Please read the first entry of my blog page for all the details - but my advice -- <b>push push push </b>for the genetic testing -- and another thing... who the hell does that doctor think he is by saying he couldn't have all those other things AND CF??? <b>What kind of a moronic statement is that</b>? There are sooooo many people out there with more than one genetic disorder..... that's just a stupid thing to say as far as I'm concerned.... my son has CF and autism

Also, read the last entry from Steven on the Ambry posts - another mother was just asking about sweat test results of 7 & 8 - he makes reference to sweat tests in the 30's and finding two CF genes too - I know there are several people on here with less than 30 with 2 CF genes.

As far as advice on how to make someone order full genetic testing..... I'd say tell them you feel they are being irresponsible by ignoring the medical evidence out there of mild variant genes produce normal and near normal sweat test results --on second though.... forget that.... there is someone on here with double delta F 508 genes (not mild variant genes by any means) with a sweat test of 23 !!!

Best of luck - keep pushing - and please let us know what you find out!

Alyssa

Many people on this board have sweat tests in the 20's and 30's - post on the adult boards and you will get far more replies.

My kids sweat test numbers are 38 and 41 -- my daughter was tested repeatedly when she was 5 years old and I was told she did not have CF. Fast forward 8 years, she got a full panel and we found out they were wrong! Then we find CF in our completely non-symptomatic 18 year old (at the time) son too!!!

Please read the first entry of my blog page for all the details - but my advice -- <b>push push push </b>for the genetic testing -- and another thing... who the hell does that doctor think he is by saying he couldn't have all those other things AND CF??? <b>What kind of a moronic statement is that</b>? There are sooooo many people out there with more than one genetic disorder..... that's just a stupid thing to say as far as I'm concerned.... my son has CF and autism

Also, read the last entry from Steven on the Ambry posts - another mother was just asking about sweat test results of 7 & 8 - he makes reference to sweat tests in the 30's and finding two CF genes too - I know there are several people on here with less than 30 with 2 CF genes.

As far as advice on how to make someone order full genetic testing..... I'd say tell them you feel they are being irresponsible by ignoring the medical evidence out there of mild variant genes produce normal and near normal sweat test results --on second though.... forget that.... there is someone on here with double delta F 508 genes (not mild variant genes by any means) with a sweat test of 23 !!!

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

thefrogprincess

I really don't get why doctors are STILL relying on sweat tests so much. They were great in the days before genetic testing but I really think they are obsolite. If this genetic councilor is worth his/her degree then they will order the genetic testing. If I were you, I'd get a new pediatrician. Of course your little guy can have all the other problem AND CF. Just because he has one thing doesn't mean that he can't have another as well. You son has all the classic signs of CF. Do not stop until you get the Ambry pannel done. Good luck.

thefrogprincess

I really don't get why doctors are STILL relying on sweat tests so much. They were great in the days before genetic testing but I really think they are obsolite. If this genetic councilor is worth his/her degree then they will order the genetic testing. If I were you, I'd get a new pediatrician. Of course your little guy can have all the other problem AND CF. Just because he has one thing doesn't mean that he can't have another as well. You son has all the classic signs of CF. Do not stop until you get the Ambry pannel done. Good luck.

thefrogprincess

thefrogprincess

thefrogprincess