Rapid and sudden change in health?

roblake29

I have heard differing opinions on this one, but I wanted to ask... Is Cf a disease where your condition can change rapidly?
I am in excellent health now, but I am not sure if my health is likely to go downhill suddenly at some stage. What precautions should I take to avoid this sudden change in health, or is this a rare occurance?
Any help?!

Cheers,

Rob 24 wcf

thefrogprincess

I haven't heard of too many people who have a sudden decline in their health but it can happen. When I have heard of it, it was caused by an infection of some kind of highly resistant bacteria or a really tough virus. The best you can do is avoid anyone who is sick, wash your hands, don't share cups or utensils, and try not to hang around the hospital or clinic anymore than you have to (they are full of germs). Oh, and get your regular sputum cultures.

JazzysMom

It can happen. That is why frequent check ups are important. For me....my recent issues have been airway restrictions which never existed before unless I was congested. For the last 2 months I have been living with an Elephant on my chest yet no excessive mucous. We believe mine current issues was brought on by a virus that was going around. There were no "symptoms" except a low grade fever that lasted awhile. Sometimes what seems like a sudden change is actually a gradual decline which we dont catch ourselves. That is where the PFT's, chest xrays etc come in.

anonymous

I'd have to say 'yes' to the rapid change. My husband is 45, diagnosed at birth, and I have known him since childhood. He can be in great shape one day, very bad the next. Also his health was great overall until he caught cepacia a few years ago. For him, it was a rapid decline, which has stablized at the moment, thank God (on tx list). We think everyone should be very conscience of germ control (although not foolproof), and do get your regular checkups, even if you're feeling okay. Best of luck to you all - jan

anonymous

i had been doing awesome for quite some years and havent had any hospitalizations in last 2 years.....but i got an infection around christmas and have been hospitalized 6x since january and am on list for double lung transplant.

JazzysMom

I have a real problem with my left side. Although improvement has been made all around. It definitely is the left that is holding me back. Everything from plugs to muscle spasms down my whole left side of my back to bruising. This is after 4 months of more or less straight IVs & the best treatment in town (thats my personal opinion, there).

anonymous

Change can happen rapidly. My husband went from playing sports, hospital addmissions once every two years, to hospital stays once every 3 months (this seemed to have happend about the same time he tested positive for MRSA). My husband lost his battle to CF last year. In our opinion his decline seemed rapid, he always said he never thought it would happen this quickly. But from what his Docs said some people decline fast, some slow and some stay consistent a long time.

anonymous

Yeah I get worried about my Bf (with CF) he has only ever had 1 hospital admission (he is 27) which was about 2 years ago when he got diagnosed with diabetes I worry that since he has got diabetes his CF might get worse

ERIC

I have a son who is 12 yrs old and we just found out 2 and 1/2 years ago that he has Cf. He was staying sick alot before they put him on Pulmozyne. I am lucky he has not gotten sick in almost 2 yrs. We have to fight wilth him constantly because he is on so many medicinces (9) and he doesn't feel as though he needs them. We try to make him understand that the medicince is the reason he if feeling as good as he can. Anyone have any advice on helping to convince him the importance. I feel one problem is that he does not know anyone with Cf and I wish there was someone he could talk to. Thanks for any response