Read this! Aggressive antibiotic treatments may not always be the best answer

imported_Momto2

baseballfrank. I'd listen to your body and try something else. Not sure what, since I'm not you, but there is other stuff out there that can help.

imported_Momto2

baseballfrank. I'd listen to your body and try something else. Not sure what, since I'm not you, but there is other stuff out there that can help.

kiwilady

The subject of this topic does not surprise me. I support what Sarajerome states, listen to your body and recognise the signs of an exacerbation that may only need an increased course of oral A/Bs, not IV drugs.

For many years I have started a combo/course of oral A/Bs that I know have the ability to 'save' a trip to hospital, where I am at real risk of picking up other 'nasties'. Within a few days if there are signs of more productive, virulent sputum, then hosp. is often necessary. I also increase my H/S and nasal rinse treatments when I feel there is a threat on the horizon.

While I feel I can make my own judgement call, [I'm 60], younger patients and children may not be able to.

Cheers
Eileen.

kiwilady

The subject of this topic does not surprise me. I support what Sarajerome states, listen to your body and recognise the signs of an exacerbation that may only need an increased course of oral A/Bs, not IV drugs.

For many years I have started a combo/course of oral A/Bs that I know have the ability to 'save' a trip to hospital, where I am at real risk of picking up other 'nasties'. Within a few days if there are signs of more productive, virulent sputum, then hosp. is often necessary. I also increase my H/S and nasal rinse treatments when I feel there is a threat on the horizon.

While I feel I can make my own judgement call, [I'm 60], younger patients and children may not be able to.

Cheers
Eileen.

Havoc

If I could just clarify something. This isn't a study about the difference between oral and IV antibiotics. It's about antibiotics, period. Given the choice, I would rather hit something hard with IV's than throw pebbles at it with orals.

The study is suggesting that over aggressive antibiotic therapy, be it oral or IV, may not always be indicated.

Havoc

If I could just clarify something. This isn't a study about the difference between oral and IV antibiotics. It's about antibiotics, period. Given the choice, I would rather hit something hard with IV's than throw pebbles at it with orals.

The study is suggesting that over aggressive antibiotic therapy, be it oral or IV, may not always be indicated.

Havoc

Absolutely. How many times have we seen studies that were proven to be completely wrong? You never seem to hear about it though when someone comes along and debunks one of these.

Havoc

Absolutely. How many times have we seen studies that were proven to be completely wrong? You never seem to hear about it though when someone comes along and debunks one of these.

scarecrow

The first time I was hospitalized w/ pneumonia in 1963 I was given a shot of pennicilin every 4 hours, I think, because that was all there was. When I got out the Dr. told my parents to keep me as active as possible and to think of antibiotics as a last resort because any bacteria not completely killed off would become resistant and leave me w/ no treatment at all.

Since then they have created all kinds of new antibiotics but it seems to me that they have only proved his advice to be right. Look at how many CF'rs are in the position now of taking stronger and stronger antibiotics with less and less effect on the bacteria they are trying to kill.

Many of the problems that we have aren't caused by CF or by the bacteria that we have. They are caused by the ANTIBIOTICS that are supposed to be treating our problems. I know that it always seems like they are necessary but I have remembered that Dr's advice from 49 years ago. I have made a lot of mistakes that I wish I could take back but I don't believe that that is one of them.

scarecrow

The first time I was hospitalized w/ pneumonia in 1963 I was given a shot of pennicilin every 4 hours, I think, because that was all there was. When I got out the Dr. told my parents to keep me as active as possible and to think of antibiotics as a last resort because any bacteria not completely killed off would become resistant and leave me w/ no treatment at all.

Since then they have created all kinds of new antibiotics but it seems to me that they have only proved his advice to be right. Look at how many CF'rs are in the position now of taking stronger and stronger antibiotics with less and less effect on the bacteria they are trying to kill.

Many of the problems that we have aren't caused by CF or by the bacteria that we have. They are caused by the ANTIBIOTICS that are supposed to be treating our problems. I know that it always seems like they are necessary but I have remembered that Dr's advice from 49 years ago. I have made a lot of mistakes that I wish I could take back but I don't believe that that is one of them.