Red tide study and CF

julie

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.lbknews.com/2011/03/25/decade-long-red-tide-study-completed/">http://www.lbknews.com/2011/03...-tide-study-completed/</a>

julie

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.lbknews.com/2011/03/25/decade-long-red-tide-study-completed/">http://www.lbknews.com/2011/03...-tide-study-completed/</a>

julie

Jeana

At first, I was not going to read to the end, because it seemed like the red tide was negatively affecting those with lung conditions, but when I kept reading, then I saw:

"The discovery that K. brevis also has antitoxins - at least three of them. One of these antitoxins is currently being used to develop a new drug (called Brevenal) that will be used to treat cystic fibrosis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), the effects of Florida red tide exposure and even Ciguatera fish poisoning. The laboratory research has concluded and researchers are seeking a pharmaceutical partner that can help bring the drug to the marketplace. <b>Initial research shows that Brevenal is 1 million times more effective at treating cystic fibrosis than current drugs</b>."

Jeana

At first, I was not going to read to the end, because it seemed like the red tide was negatively affecting those with lung conditions, but when I kept reading, then I saw:

"The discovery that K. brevis also has antitoxins - at least three of them. One of these antitoxins is currently being used to develop a new drug (called Brevenal) that will be used to treat cystic fibrosis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), the effects of Florida red tide exposure and even Ciguatera fish poisoning. The laboratory research has concluded and researchers are seeking a pharmaceutical partner that can help bring the drug to the marketplace. <b>Initial research shows that Brevenal is 1 million times more effective at treating cystic fibrosis than current drugs</b>."

Jeana

<br />
<br />"The discovery that K. brevis also has antitoxins - at least three of them. One of these antitoxins is currently being used to develop a new drug (called Brevenal) that will be used to treat cystic fibrosis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), the effects of Florida red tide exposure and even Ciguatera fish poisoning. The laboratory research has concluded and researchers are seeking a pharmaceutical partner that can help bring the drug to the marketplace. <b>Initial research shows that Brevenal is 1 million times more effective at treating cystic fibrosis than current drugs</b>."

ktsmom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Jeana</b></i>

<b>Initial research shows that Brevenal is 1 million times more effective at treating cystic fibrosis than current drugs</b>."</end quote></div>

To put this in perspective, a 2004 press release about the beginning of this study says "While conducting experiments on the red tide anti-toxins, researchers made an even more important discovery - the anti-toxins behaved much like drugs used to treat cystic fibrosis. "We found these compounds are able to speed up the clearance of mucus from the lungs," said Daniel Baden, Ph.D., director of the University of North Carolina at Wilmington Center for Marine Science and director of the project.

According to Baden, mucociliary clearance is one of the most important defense systems in the lungs, protecting the airways from bacteria and pollutants. "We think the ability of these anti-toxins to improve the clearance of mucus may be due to a combination of increased movement of the cilia, the tiny hair-like structures that line the airways, and a thinning of mucus," he said.

Tests conducted in experimental animals showed these compounds to be effective <b>at doses 1 million times lower than the current medications </b>used in the treatment of cystic fibrosis. "These agents can improve the clearance of mucus, and they may also work at concentrations that have no side effects."

ktsmom

<b>Initial research shows that Brevenal is 1 million times more effective at treating cystic fibrosis than current drugs</b>."</end quote>

To put this in perspective, a 2004 press release about the beginning of this study says "While conducting experiments on the red tide anti-toxins, researchers made an even more important discovery - the anti-toxins behaved much like drugs used to treat cystic fibrosis. "We found these compounds are able to speed up the clearance of mucus from the lungs," said Daniel Baden, Ph.D., director of the University of North Carolina at Wilmington Center for Marine Science and director of the project.

According to Baden, mucociliary clearance is one of the most important defense systems in the lungs, protecting the airways from bacteria and pollutants. "We think the ability of these anti-toxins to improve the clearance of mucus may be due to a combination of increased movement of the cilia, the tiny hair-like structures that line the airways, and a thinning of mucus," he said.

Tests conducted in experimental animals showed these compounds to be effective <b>at doses 1 million times lower than the current medications </b>used in the treatment of cystic fibrosis. "These agents can improve the clearance of mucus, and they may also work at concentrations that have no side effects."

ktsmom

<br />
<br /><b>Initial research shows that Brevenal is 1 million times more effective at treating cystic fibrosis than current drugs</b>."</end quote>
<br />
<br />To put this in perspective, a 2004 press release about the beginning of this study says "While conducting experiments on the red tide anti-toxins, researchers made an even more important discovery - the anti-toxins behaved much like drugs used to treat cystic fibrosis. "We found these compounds are able to speed up the clearance of mucus from the lungs," said Daniel Baden, Ph.D., director of the University of North Carolina at Wilmington Center for Marine Science and director of the project.
<br />
<br />According to Baden, mucociliary clearance is one of the most important defense systems in the lungs, protecting the airways from bacteria and pollutants. "We think the ability of these anti-toxins to improve the clearance of mucus may be due to a combination of increased movement of the cilia, the tiny hair-like structures that line the airways, and a thinning of mucus," he said.
<br />
<br />Tests conducted in experimental animals showed these compounds to be effective <b>at doses 1 million times lower than the current medications </b>used in the treatment of cystic fibrosis. "These agents can improve the clearance of mucus, and they may also work at concentrations that have no side effects."

Jeana

I'm thinking it sounds like HTS, only better?? Is that what everyone else is getting from the article? Or is it just the same as for instance HTS but much less concentrated and so would cause fewer side effects (sore throat, coughing, etc.)?

Jeana

I'm thinking it sounds like HTS, only better?? Is that what everyone else is getting from the article? Or is it just the same as for instance HTS but much less concentrated and so would cause fewer side effects (sore throat, coughing, etc.)?

Jeana