Reflux (GERD)

kbquincy

My lung function has been declining over the last week. My doctor said it could be due to GERD. I think he may be right because I am experiencing some of the symptoms. Has anyone had this? Did this lead to rejection or chronic rejection? What test did you have to determine it? Thanks in advance. Kim

kbquincy

My lung function has been declining over the last week. My doctor said it could be due to GERD. I think he may be right because I am experiencing some of the symptoms. Has anyone had this? Did this lead to rejection or chronic rejection? What test did you have to determine it? Thanks in advance. Kim

kbquincy

kbquincy

kbquincy

Marjolein

Are you on Omeprazol to lower the amount of acid in your stomach?
Aspirating acid in your lungs can cause lunginfections and could cause rejection.

They can test you for reflux by putting a tube through your nose, an NG tube really I think. This tube will be connected to a little computer that will measure the reflux for 24 hours.

When the reflux is very bad, or maybe when it's just there, they can do a surgery to prefend it in the future.

I think I read on 'Confessions of a CF husband' that Tricia had had this surgery and that it is standard for transplant patients at Duke?

Marjolein

Aspirating acid in your lungs can cause lunginfections and could cause rejection.

They can test you for reflux by putting a tube through your nose, an NG tube really I think. This tube will be connected to a little computer that will measure the reflux for 24 hours.

When the reflux is very bad, or maybe when it's just there, they can do a surgery to prefend it in the future.

I think I read on 'Confessions of a CF husband' that Tricia had had this surgery and that it is standard for transplant patients at Duke?

Marjolein

Marjolein

Marjolein

<br />Aspirating acid in your lungs can cause lunginfections and could cause rejection.
<br />
<br />They can test you for reflux by putting a tube through your nose, an NG tube really I think. This tube will be connected to a little computer that will measure the reflux for 24 hours.
<br />
<br />When the reflux is very bad, or maybe when it's just there, they can do a surgery to prefend it in the future.
<br />
<br />I think I read on 'Confessions of a CF husband' that Tricia had had this surgery and that it is standard for transplant patients at Duke?

F

fr3ak

To check for GERD they usually do a 24 hour PH test, which is basically a special tube like a NG tube that is connected to a small computer that you take home and wear for 24 hours, you eat and drink normally as well as doing normal activities, you also have a button to press if you experience reflux which marks on the computer so when they read the results it will have a mark against that time you pressed the button and they can see what exactly the acidity level was at that particular time that you experienced the reflux...

The problem with reflux especially chronic reflux is more so when you are sleeping if you regurg you have a greater chance of aspirating your stomach matter into your lungs and the acid soils/burns the lungs, which obviously is not a good thing...

If your 24 hour PH test comes back indicating a problem (servere enough that is not controlled by medication) they usually do a fundo thingy? where they do an operation that prevents the stomach acid from being regurged...

But yes, reflux if servere can damage the lungs, I know a good friend that had perfect lung function/health that lost some function and health due to the soiling of the lungs from acid reflux...

Hope this helps, and makes sense (I'm way tired)

fr3ak

F

fr3ak

To check for GERD they usually do a 24 hour PH test, which is basically a special tube like a NG tube that is connected to a small computer that you take home and wear for 24 hours, you eat and drink normally as well as doing normal activities, you also have a button to press if you experience reflux which marks on the computer so when they read the results it will have a mark against that time you pressed the button and they can see what exactly the acidity level was at that particular time that you experienced the reflux...

The problem with reflux especially chronic reflux is more so when you are sleeping if you regurg you have a greater chance of aspirating your stomach matter into your lungs and the acid soils/burns the lungs, which obviously is not a good thing...

If your 24 hour PH test comes back indicating a problem (servere enough that is not controlled by medication) they usually do a fundo thingy? where they do an operation that prevents the stomach acid from being regurged...

But yes, reflux if servere can damage the lungs, I know a good friend that had perfect lung function/health that lost some function and health due to the soiling of the lungs from acid reflux...

fr3ak

F

fr3ak

fr3ak

F

fr3ak

fr3ak

F

fr3ak

<br />
<br />The problem with reflux especially chronic reflux is more so when you are sleeping if you regurg you have a greater chance of aspirating your stomach matter into your lungs and the acid soils/burns the lungs, which obviously is not a good thing...
<br />
<br />If your 24 hour PH test comes back indicating a problem (servere enough that is not controlled by medication) they usually do a fundo thingy? where they do an operation that prevents the stomach acid from being regurged...
<br />
<br />But yes, reflux if servere can damage the lungs, I know a good friend that had perfect lung function/health that lost some function and health due to the soiling of the lungs from acid reflux...
<br />
<br />Hope this helps, and makes sense (I'm way tired)
<br />
<br />fr3ak

kbquincy

Thanks so much to both of you for the info. fr3ak. did your friend regain her lung function or did it ruin it permanently? Gosh, I hope you say she regained it! Kim

kbquincy

Thanks so much to both of you for the info. fr3ak. did your friend regain her lung function or did it ruin it permanently? Gosh, I hope you say she regained it! Kim

kbquincy

kbquincy

kbquincy