Relocating to AZ (HELP)

lscharlat

Hi Everyone:

About a month ago I had asked a couple of questions regarding climate and asked for your input. Well, my family & I are relocating to AZ and I am quite concerned about the climate, my daughter is 4 (her name is Anna) and has CF. If anyone has lived in AZ or lives there now and can give me some input I would really apprecate. We are going to be moving to the Scottsdale area. (dbtoo, thank you for your past input, if you have any further information that you could share that would be great!). Anna would be going to the CF center at the Children's Hospital in Phoenix any input on the hospital would be helpful as well. I know people have commented that CF patients don't do well in high temps if you can be more specific (and you can be totally honest with me) that would really be helpful. We live in NJ right now and the winters are really tough on her, I am really afraid about moving, I don't want to make matters worse for her (I'm a nervouse wreck, can you tell???) any information would be very much appreciated. God bless you all!!!!

Lisa

lscharlat

Hi Everyone:

About a month ago I had asked a couple of questions regarding climate and asked for your input. Well, my family & I are relocating to AZ and I am quite concerned about the climate, my daughter is 4 (her name is Anna) and has CF. If anyone has lived in AZ or lives there now and can give me some input I would really apprecate. We are going to be moving to the Scottsdale area. (dbtoo, thank you for your past input, if you have any further information that you could share that would be great!). Anna would be going to the CF center at the Children's Hospital in Phoenix any input on the hospital would be helpful as well. I know people have commented that CF patients don't do well in high temps if you can be more specific (and you can be totally honest with me) that would really be helpful. We live in NJ right now and the winters are really tough on her, I am really afraid about moving, I don't want to make matters worse for her (I'm a nervouse wreck, can you tell???) any information would be very much appreciated. God bless you all!!!!

Lisa

lscharlat

Hi Everyone:

Lisa

Hi Lisa,
We too just recently relocated to Arizona! On Feb. 1st we made the move from Houston, TX to Tucson, AZ (about 1 1/2 hour south of Phoenix). My husband (29 with CF, diagnosed @ birth) has lived his entire life in the humid climate of Texas. We had taken some vacations to more arid climates, like Arizona, and he LOVED it. It was noticeably easier for him to breathe and he absolutely thrives in the hot weather. As you mentioned with Anna, the cold weather really wreaks havoc on my husband so he is a CF that actually does much better in the warm weather. (the more I read on this forum the more I see that some CFs fare better in colder climates, and some fare better in warmer, it just depends)

He lived in Tucson for 6 weeks during a graduate internship program he was finishing while I stayed in Houston. Within 2 weeks, there was a noticeable improvement. His pain level had decreased to where he was only taking 1 or 2 meds as needed whereas in Houston he was taking 4 or 5 dosages per day just to function. He was able to run/jog again in the Tucson climate... something he hadn't been able to do for the last 4 years in Houston.

I know each CF experience is unique, but I wanted to assure you that we are an example of the Arizona climate being a HUGE benefit. So much so that we moved our life, left behind all our friends & family, and moved to Tucson just for that reason!

Best wishes to Anna & you on this move... I really believe it will be awesome for her in the long run.

Oh, I'm not sure on the altitude of Scottsdale, but depending on the altitude in NJ she is accustomed to, there may a transition time where she is more short of breath adjusting to a higher elevation.... just a thought.

God bless,
Elizabeth

Hi Lisa,
We too just recently relocated to Arizona! On Feb. 1st we made the move from Houston, TX to Tucson, AZ (about 1 1/2 hour south of Phoenix). My husband (29 with CF, diagnosed @ birth) has lived his entire life in the humid climate of Texas. We had taken some vacations to more arid climates, like Arizona, and he LOVED it. It was noticeably easier for him to breathe and he absolutely thrives in the hot weather. As you mentioned with Anna, the cold weather really wreaks havoc on my husband so he is a CF that actually does much better in the warm weather. (the more I read on this forum the more I see that some CFs fare better in colder climates, and some fare better in warmer, it just depends)

He lived in Tucson for 6 weeks during a graduate internship program he was finishing while I stayed in Houston. Within 2 weeks, there was a noticeable improvement. His pain level had decreased to where he was only taking 1 or 2 meds as needed whereas in Houston he was taking 4 or 5 dosages per day just to function. He was able to run/jog again in the Tucson climate... something he hadn't been able to do for the last 4 years in Houston.

I know each CF experience is unique, but I wanted to assure you that we are an example of the Arizona climate being a HUGE benefit. So much so that we moved our life, left behind all our friends & family, and moved to Tucson just for that reason!

Best wishes to Anna & you on this move... I really believe it will be awesome for her in the long run.

Oh, I'm not sure on the altitude of Scottsdale, but depending on the altitude in NJ she is accustomed to, there may a transition time where she is more short of breath adjusting to a higher elevation.... just a thought.

God bless,
Elizabeth

Hi Lisa,

God bless,
Elizabeth

lscharlat

Elizabeth:

Thank you so much for the response, It is great to hear a positive response. I am so glad to hear your husband is doing so well out there and this is very helpful!!
Thanks again & god bless.

Lisa

lscharlat

Elizabeth:

Thank you so much for the response, It is great to hear a positive response. I am so glad to hear your husband is doing so well out there and this is very helpful!!

Lisa

lscharlat

Elizabeth:

Lisa

barbc888

Hi Lisa,

I think the move will be great for Anna and your family. I lived in NJ all my life, then at the age of 38 moved west to CA, mainly for the warm weather. I found it hard to cough up stuff when the weather was cold and dry like it is on the east coast in winter. I have an easier time now, with a productive cough in this warm weather. Don't know if Scottsdale is anything like Tucson, but boy is it beautiful out there in AZ!

Good luck,
Barbara
female, 40, w/CF

barbc888

Hi Lisa,

I think the move will be great for Anna and your family. I lived in NJ all my life, then at the age of 38 moved west to CA, mainly for the warm weather. I found it hard to cough up stuff when the weather was cold and dry like it is on the east coast in winter. I have an easier time now, with a productive cough in this warm weather. Don't know if Scottsdale is anything like Tucson, but boy is it beautiful out there in AZ!

Good luck,
Barbara
female, 40, w/CF

barbc888

Hi Lisa,

Good luck,
Barbara
female, 40, w/CF

LouLou

I have lived in many places (see signature below). When I was little my parents were told if possible they should consider relocating to AZ because evidently it was good for CFers. Obviously, I never got the opportunity to find out. For me weather hasn't played much of an issue with my cf but allergies have and those can relate to the area of the country or world that we live in greatly. Good luck. I wouldn't worry about a thing...except DEHYDRATION. Make sure she's a water drinker if she's not already.

LouLou

I have lived in many places (see signature below). When I was little my parents were told if possible they should consider relocating to AZ because evidently it was good for CFers. Obviously, I never got the opportunity to find out. For me weather hasn't played much of an issue with my cf but allergies have and those can relate to the area of the country or world that we live in greatly. Good luck. I wouldn't worry about a thing...except DEHYDRATION. Make sure she's a water drinker if she's not already.

LouLou

NoExcuses

i'm the opposite - i do so much better in the cold weather. i am well traveled and when i am in cooler climates my lungs always feel better.

a lot of it has to do with air pollution as well - pollution gets worse when the weather is hotter.

i dont' think i ever felt so good as when i was in salzburg in 20 degree weather with snow on the ground.

when it's hot i get dehydrated and my body uses so much energy to cool itself off. it's hard for me to be outdoors. i sunburn easily too so that compounds things.

i am looking forward to going to school soon in a cooler climate and eventually settling down in a colder climate as well.

NoExcuses

i'm the opposite - i do so much better in the cold weather. i am well traveled and when i am in cooler climates my lungs always feel better.

a lot of it has to do with air pollution as well - pollution gets worse when the weather is hotter.

i dont' think i ever felt so good as when i was in salzburg in 20 degree weather with snow on the ground.

when it's hot i get dehydrated and my body uses so much energy to cool itself off. it's hard for me to be outdoors. i sunburn easily too so that compounds things.

i am looking forward to going to school soon in a cooler climate and eventually settling down in a colder climate as well.

NoExcuses

Pumuckl

I live in Arizona and have lived here for 19 years and used to live in a cold climate that I did not do well in. I have also been employed in a field that required me to be exposed to the extreme heat we have out here and I did quite well (I would even say moreso than my co-workers).

I would be happy to answer any questions you have if you want to contact me via private message here that would be fine.

Have to run for now.

Pumuckl

I live in Arizona and have lived here for 19 years and used to live in a cold climate that I did not do well in. I have also been employed in a field that required me to be exposed to the extreme heat we have out here and I did quite well (I would even say moreso than my co-workers).

I would be happy to answer any questions you have if you want to contact me via private message here that would be fine.

Have to run for now.