resistant to Itaconzole

sunflower

Has yourDoctor told you that you can become resistant to Itaconzole...
He will only give them to me for six weeks in one year and said that it is wrong to be on them consistantly..
I feel I need to be on them permantely. Can you ask your Dr..opinion.
Please advise....

sunflower
41 yrs old
abpa-psuedomonas
Mutations p67L-DF508.

sunflower

Has yourDoctor told you that you can become resistant to Itaconzole...
He will only give them to me for six weeks in one year and said that it is wrong to be on them consistantly..
I feel I need to be on them permantely. Can you ask your Dr..opinion.
Please advise....

sunflower
41 yrs old
abpa-psuedomonas
Mutations p67L-DF508.

musclemania70

what is your ige level? this is the second time i have ever taken vorconizole (sp?) and my dr never mentioned anything about becoming resistant. their concern is safety. its very toxic i believe.
why do feel like you should be on it constantly?

musclemania70

what is your ige level? this is the second time i have ever taken vorconizole (sp?) and my dr never mentioned anything about becoming resistant. their concern is safety. its very toxic i believe.
why do feel like you should be on it constantly?

Havoc

You can become resistant to oral antifungals. As Musclemania pointed out, antifungal agents are extremely hard on your liver and being on them year round really is a bad idea. ABPA can involve treatment with oral antifungals, some information indicates that oral antifungals can work with steroids to lessen the amount of time or dose of steroid therapy. Steroid therapy, however remains the gold standard. The choice to use concomitant oral antifungals along with steroids is really up to the preference of the doc. Usually, in ABPA, the cells of the lungs don't become infected with the fungus, rather there is an allergic reaction to the fungus growing in your sputum, which comes in contact with the cells of the lung. This is why antifungals are considered optional, unless there is evidence that your lungs actually are infected with a fungus. I agree with your doc's judgement.

Havoc

You can become resistant to oral antifungals. As Musclemania pointed out, antifungal agents are extremely hard on your liver and being on them year round really is a bad idea. ABPA can involve treatment with oral antifungals, some information indicates that oral antifungals can work with steroids to lessen the amount of time or dose of steroid therapy. Steroid therapy, however remains the gold standard. The choice to use concomitant oral antifungals along with steroids is really up to the preference of the doc. Usually, in ABPA, the cells of the lungs don't become infected with the fungus, rather there is an allergic reaction to the fungus growing in your sputum, which comes in contact with the cells of the lung. This is why antifungals are considered optional, unless there is evidence that your lungs actually are infected with a fungus. I agree with your doc's judgement.

MMBinNC

Antifungals always are a bad idea IMHO unless you really need them. All of them from Diflucan to V-FEnd are really ahrd on your liver and can create toxicity in even a single infusion. I had a toxic reaction to Amphotericerin B and switched the V-Fend. Hopefully the fungus isn't causing too big of an issue in your life. I generally am pro-medication to fix stuff, but when the anti-fungals give me a choice of toxicity (ampho) or crazy hallucinations when I stare into the light (V-Fend) I'd like to choose Option 3. lol

MMBinNC

Antifungals always are a bad idea IMHO unless you really need them. All of them from Diflucan to V-FEnd are really ahrd on your liver and can create toxicity in even a single infusion. I had a toxic reaction to Amphotericerin B and switched the V-Fend. Hopefully the fungus isn't causing too big of an issue in your life. I generally am pro-medication to fix stuff, but when the anti-fungals give me a choice of toxicity (ampho) or crazy hallucinations when I stare into the light (V-Fend) I'd like to choose Option 3. lol