resistant

hbollotte

Is it possible to become sensitive to drugs that you have been resistant to? I got put on CIPRO Friday and it actually seems to be helping. I've been resistant to it for a while, but my internal med dr. prescribed me some. I haven't taken it in about a year.

hbollotte

Is it possible to become sensitive to drugs that you have been resistant to? I got put on CIPRO Friday and it actually seems to be helping. I've been resistant to it for a while, but my internal med dr. prescribed me some. I haven't taken it in about a year.

hbollotte

cf4life

Yes, but it could also be the case that you have multiple strains of PA. Many of us actually have multiple strains of PA resident in our lungs. If this is your case then you could still have the resistant strain lurking and a non-resistant strain that is currently growing more rapidly at the moment. The danger with this is that the cipro you are taking kills the non-resistant strain and the resistant strain grows stronger and multiplies taking over for the non-resistant strain you are killing.

I am not saying this is your case, but something to keep in mind. It is good to take your history of sputum results into account when choosing antibiotics.

Also, I hope you are taking another antibiotic with cipro. You should always fight PA with a combination of antibiotics to try and hold off resistance. Using just one is not a good idea with CF and PA, especially if you are taking it multiple times a year.

cf4life

Yes, but it could also be the case that you have multiple strains of PA. Many of us actually have multiple strains of PA resident in our lungs. If this is your case then you could still have the resistant strain lurking and a non-resistant strain that is currently growing more rapidly at the moment. The danger with this is that the cipro you are taking kills the non-resistant strain and the resistant strain grows stronger and multiplies taking over for the non-resistant strain you are killing.

I am not saying this is your case, but something to keep in mind. It is good to take your history of sputum results into account when choosing antibiotics.

Also, I hope you are taking another antibiotic with cipro. You should always fight PA with a combination of antibiotics to try and hold off resistance. Using just one is not a good idea with CF and PA, especially if you are taking it multiple times a year.

cf4life

<br />
<br />I am not saying this is your case, but something to keep in mind. It is good to take your history of sputum results into account when choosing antibiotics.
<br />
<br />Also, I hope you are taking another antibiotic with cipro. You should always fight PA with a combination of antibiotics to try and hold off resistance. Using just one is not a good idea with CF and PA, especially if you are taking it multiple times a year.