Resources for atypical cases

H

hopesiris

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>christenk</b></i>

This question is for bonniebaby-

My daughter has the same genetic combination as you (delta 508 and 5T).

I was just wondering how your physician described to you what the 5T variant is. As I understand it, the 5T variant is almost like a "mild" mutation in which there is some functioning of the CFTR gene. Is that accurate?

Thanks for your input!

Christen</end quote></div>

Yes, Christen, that is correct when the 5T has 12 or 13 repeats and is combined with a more severe mutation like DF508. I think 5T with 11 repeats is a little less significant in terms of lung involvement but you could confirm that with Steve from Ambry.
I'm unusually healthy for a CFer, I have no lung damage yet. I culture for staph aureus only and I'm pancreatic sufficient. I know of only one other person with this and she hasn't been on the site in ages. She is a year older than I am and has 4 kids (she was diagnosed at age 31 and I was dx age 36). Her health wasn't/isn't as good as mine but still good for someone this old. My sweat test was 36 and hers was 39. PM me if you want to compare notes.

H

hopesiris

I was just wondering how your physician described to you what the 5T variant is. As I understand it, the 5T variant is almost like a "mild" mutation in which there is some functioning of the CFTR gene. Is that accurate?

Thanks for your input!

Yes, Christen, that is correct when the 5T has 12 or 13 repeats and is combined with a more severe mutation like DF508. I think 5T with 11 repeats is a little less significant in terms of lung involvement but you could confirm that with Steve from Ambry.
I'm unusually healthy for a CFer, I have no lung damage yet. I culture for staph aureus only and I'm pancreatic sufficient. I know of only one other person with this and she hasn't been on the site in ages. She is a year older than I am and has 4 kids (she was diagnosed at age 31 and I was dx age 36). Her health wasn't/isn't as good as mine but still good for someone this old. My sweat test was 36 and hers was 39. PM me if you want to compare notes.

H

hopesiris

Thanks for your input!

H

hopesiris

Thanks for your input!

Christen</end quote>

H

hopesiris

<br />
<br />This question is for bonniebaby-
<br />
<br />My daughter has the same genetic combination as you (delta 508 and 5T).
<br />
<br />I was just wondering how your physician described to you what the 5T variant is. As I understand it, the 5T variant is almost like a "mild" mutation in which there is some functioning of the CFTR gene. Is that accurate?
<br />
<br />Thanks for your input!
<br />
<br />Christen</end quote>
<br />
<br />
<br />Yes, Christen, that is correct when the 5T has 12 or 13 repeats and is combined with a more severe mutation like DF508. I think 5T with 11 repeats is a little less significant in terms of lung involvement but you could confirm that with Steve from Ambry.
<br />I'm unusually healthy for a CFer, I have no lung damage yet. I culture for staph aureus only and I'm pancreatic sufficient. I know of only one other person with this and she hasn't been on the site in ages. She is a year older than I am and has 4 kids (she was diagnosed at age 31 and I was dx age 36). Her health wasn't/isn't as good as mine but still good for someone this old. My sweat test was 36 and hers was 39. PM me if you want to compare notes.
<br />
<br />