Resting vs. Max heart rate

ladybug

Hi, everyone.

OK, so I've asked my doc and they don't seem to beleive that my HR gets this high with exercise, so I'm going to ask on here for experiences with this....

My resting HR from the moment I set foot on the treadmill is about 120. (Generally its about 100 when I'm just laying around)... When I run for awhile, it shoots up to about 180 and sometimes a couple beats higher. I don't actually FEEL that overexerted! I feel pretty darn good. And, if I slow my run (and my HR shoots a little lower), I don't feel as energized and good after my run. SOOOO... what is the deal?!? I am almost 30, so my MAXIMUM HR should be around 190, and that's the absolute max. However, at just a job basically, it shoots up to 180! Its crazy! And, I've been doing the same run now for over 1 1/2 years and NO MATTER WHAT it always shoots up that high... So, any ideas why this is? Is it dangerous? OR, is it relative to the fact that I start with a higher resting heart rate to begin with, so naturally, my HR would go up higher?

For example, my DH has a resting HR of around 70... His HR gets to the highest 150-160. So, when you add 20-30 beats to my resting, wouldn't it be natural to add 20-30 beats to my max?? I'm confused.

I don't want to be damaging my heart or risking a heart attack, but at the same time, anything slower than what I'm running doesn't seem to give me that "jolt" and I don't feel like I'm really getting good cardio.

... Anyone else have their HR shoot up higher than it really should? My docs seem to think the treadmill is maybe not counting correctly, but I get this count myself and with my pulse ox on too!

Thanks,

ladybug

Hi, everyone.

OK, so I've asked my doc and they don't seem to beleive that my HR gets this high with exercise, so I'm going to ask on here for experiences with this....

My resting HR from the moment I set foot on the treadmill is about 120. (Generally its about 100 when I'm just laying around)... When I run for awhile, it shoots up to about 180 and sometimes a couple beats higher. I don't actually FEEL that overexerted! I feel pretty darn good. And, if I slow my run (and my HR shoots a little lower), I don't feel as energized and good after my run. SOOOO... what is the deal?!? I am almost 30, so my MAXIMUM HR should be around 190, and that's the absolute max. However, at just a job basically, it shoots up to 180! Its crazy! And, I've been doing the same run now for over 1 1/2 years and NO MATTER WHAT it always shoots up that high... So, any ideas why this is? Is it dangerous? OR, is it relative to the fact that I start with a higher resting heart rate to begin with, so naturally, my HR would go up higher?

For example, my DH has a resting HR of around 70... His HR gets to the highest 150-160. So, when you add 20-30 beats to my resting, wouldn't it be natural to add 20-30 beats to my max?? I'm confused.

I don't want to be damaging my heart or risking a heart attack, but at the same time, anything slower than what I'm running doesn't seem to give me that "jolt" and I don't feel like I'm really getting good cardio.

... Anyone else have their HR shoot up higher than it really should? My docs seem to think the treadmill is maybe not counting correctly, but I get this count myself and with my pulse ox on too!

Thanks,

ladybug

Hi, everyone.

Thanks,

littletally

I actually have a similar problem. My heart rate doesn't go quite that high but it does get between 160 and 170. And I wonder if I'm going to explode because of it. Like you I feel fine but I get a little worried when it gets that high. Do you think it could be the albuterol or something like that? The only thing with that is I excersize in the afternoon and the albuterol is well out of my body by that time from morning treatments. Maybe it's our age. I'm 27 (soon to be 28 in September). I should ask my doc about it and see what they say. I have an appt next Wednesday and I'll see if they come up with a different answer. So I'll be talking to you soon!

Nikki
27/f/cf

littletally

I actually have a similar problem. My heart rate doesn't go quite that high but it does get between 160 and 170. And I wonder if I'm going to explode because of it. Like you I feel fine but I get a little worried when it gets that high. Do you think it could be the albuterol or something like that? The only thing with that is I excersize in the afternoon and the albuterol is well out of my body by that time from morning treatments. Maybe it's our age. I'm 27 (soon to be 28 in September). I should ask my doc about it and see what they say. I have an appt next Wednesday and I'll see if they come up with a different answer. So I'll be talking to you soon!

Nikki
27/f/cf

littletally

Nikki
27/f/cf

cdale613

Here is one source of general information about heart rates:
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_rate">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_rate</a>

Resting and Max. heart rates vary greatly from person to person, but here are mine (using a polar heart rate monitor):

Resting heart rate - taken first thing in the morning before getting out of bed: 48

"Sitting" heart rate - sitting here at my desk: 67

Max heart rate - I tested it myself in mid-exercise a couple weeks ago: 200

Chris

27 m w/CF

cdale613

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_rate">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_rate</a>

Resting and Max. heart rates vary greatly from person to person, but here are mine (using a polar heart rate monitor):

Resting heart rate - taken first thing in the morning before getting out of bed: 48

Chris

27 m w/CF

cdale613

Chris

27 m w/CF

blondelawyer

I agree with Chris. Heart rates can vary greatly from person to person. The age based test is NOT very accurate. Some heart rate monitors can predict your HRmax or you can have a medical professional perform a test to determine your true max. For most people, getting that exact about the HRmax is not necessary.

blondelawyer

I agree with Chris. Heart rates can vary greatly from person to person. The age based test is NOT very accurate. Some heart rate monitors can predict your HRmax or you can have a medical professional perform a test to determine your true max. For most people, getting that exact about the HRmax is not necessary.

blondelawyer

cdale613

Hi Sonia,

Re-reading your original post, I am curious... do you know what your o2 sats are doing while you are exercising? If they are dropping a lot, and your heart rate is shooting up, and unable to keep your o2 levels high, then I think that would be a cause for concern... more than your heart rate alone.

I don't know very much about the o2 saturation stuff, and what levels would be of concern, etc., but it might be something more to talk to your doc about.

Chris

cdale613

Hi Sonia,

Re-reading your original post, I am curious... do you know what your o2 sats are doing while you are exercising? If they are dropping a lot, and your heart rate is shooting up, and unable to keep your o2 levels high, then I think that would be a cause for concern... more than your heart rate alone.

I don't know very much about the o2 saturation stuff, and what levels would be of concern, etc., but it might be something more to talk to your doc about.

Chris

cdale613

Hi Sonia,

Chris

ladybug

Thanks for the great responses! I just mostly became worried cause I was at a health fair the other day and told the lady about my HR and she said that is how people go into cardiac arrest and why most heart attacks happen at the gym! So, that really freaked me out.

I've tried to check my O2 while running, but with a portable pulse ox, it has always given me "error" readings since I'm not keeping my hand steady enough for a good reading. I've not had this test done at my doc cause I live 400 miles from my doc and usually try to get every possible test when I'm there every 4 months and running isn't usually too attractive after a morning of tests. I also usually run at elevation of 2500 and my clinic is at 5000 ft. Plus, I always run late in the afternoon, whereas any test I'd do at clinic would be VERY close to when I took my abluterol, and we all know what that means! LOL

.... So, its something I will bring up to them to test it while I run for 20 minutes, but with all the variables, I don't know how accurate THEIR test would be. Plus, when they've tested my o2 in the past when I've been inpatient on a treadmill, they've also just used a portable pulse ox... Are those accurate (or even possible) when you're swinging your hands/arms??

Thanks!!!

ladybug

Thanks for the great responses! I just mostly became worried cause I was at a health fair the other day and told the lady about my HR and she said that is how people go into cardiac arrest and why most heart attacks happen at the gym! So, that really freaked me out.

I've tried to check my O2 while running, but with a portable pulse ox, it has always given me "error" readings since I'm not keeping my hand steady enough for a good reading. I've not had this test done at my doc cause I live 400 miles from my doc and usually try to get every possible test when I'm there every 4 months and running isn't usually too attractive after a morning of tests. I also usually run at elevation of 2500 and my clinic is at 5000 ft. Plus, I always run late in the afternoon, whereas any test I'd do at clinic would be VERY close to when I took my abluterol, and we all know what that means! LOL

.... So, its something I will bring up to them to test it while I run for 20 minutes, but with all the variables, I don't know how accurate THEIR test would be. Plus, when they've tested my o2 in the past when I've been inpatient on a treadmill, they've also just used a portable pulse ox... Are those accurate (or even possible) when you're swinging your hands/arms??

Thanks!!!