Retracting in chest?

mbrandazzo

Hi,

Ever since my two year old son was born, when we watch him breathe in and out, there is some noticible retracting (When the chest caves a tiny bit when he breathes in). I Know his CF doc was concerned at first, and ran two bronchoscopys to make sure nothing was going on... Both came back okay... It has definitely gotten better over time, but I wondered what causes this, and if anyones else has seen it or had it themselves... Thank you!!!

mbrandazzo

Hi,

Ever since my two year old son was born, when we watch him breathe in and out, there is some noticible retracting (When the chest caves a tiny bit when he breathes in). I Know his CF doc was concerned at first, and ran two bronchoscopys to make sure nothing was going on... Both came back okay... It has definitely gotten better over time, but I wondered what causes this, and if anyones else has seen it or had it themselves... Thank you!!!

mbrandazzo

Hi,

mbrandazzo

Hi,

mbrandazzo

Hi,
<br />
<br />Ever since my two year old son was born, when we watch him breathe in and out, there is some noticible retracting (When the chest caves a tiny bit when he breathes in). I Know his CF doc was concerned at first, and ran two bronchoscopys to make sure nothing was going on... Both came back okay... It has definitely gotten better over time, but I wondered what causes this, and if anyones else has seen it or had it themselves... Thank you!!!

hmw

Retractions in the muscles around the chest means it is taking more effort than usual to breathe; w/ normal breathing you generally don't see the muscles 'working' like that.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003322.htm">Intercostal retractions</a>

How are his o2 levels? Is he healthy otherwise? I am glad that that both of the bronchs he had didn't indicate infection but this does sound concerning to me and I'd want to understand why this was happening. Has he had a lung CT recently?

Our experience with this was a medical emergency when my son was an infant; his airway was compromised by an infection causing swelling and he ended up needing epinephrine, bronchodilators and steroids to treat it. Thank goodness we've never seen anything like this again!

hmw

Retractions in the muscles around the chest means it is taking more effort than usual to breathe; w/ normal breathing you generally don't see the muscles 'working' like that.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003322.htm">Intercostal retractions</a>

How are his o2 levels? Is he healthy otherwise? I am glad that that both of the bronchs he had didn't indicate infection but this does sound concerning to me and I'd want to understand why this was happening. Has he had a lung CT recently?

Our experience with this was a medical emergency when my son was an infant; his airway was compromised by an infection causing swelling and he ended up needing epinephrine, bronchodilators and steroids to treat it. Thank goodness we've never seen anything like this again!

hmw

hmw

hmw

<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003322.htm">Intercostal retractions</a>
<br />
<br />How are his o2 levels? Is he healthy otherwise? I am glad that that both of the bronchs he had didn't indicate infection but this does sound concerning to me and I'd want to understand why this was happening. Has he had a lung CT recently?
<br />
<br />Our experience with this was a medical emergency when my son was an infant; his airway was compromised by an infection causing swelling and he ended up needing epinephrine, bronchodilators and steroids to treat it. Thank goodness we've never seen anything like this again!

mbrandazzo

HI Harriet,

Thank you for your response... You are right, I was very concerned about it at first, but since the doctor seemed okay about it, I didn't worry as much... Now I am a little worried again since you said it usually means they are working harder to breathe... HIs O2 levels when we have been at climic are usually around 97-98% - Is that "normal? They never seemed concerned about that either and I have to say that his team is usually pretty aggressive about things.

His health is good right now. He just got over a cold that turned into something more so they put him on antibiotics, which we are almost done with... Other than that he runs around, plays, and never seems out of breath... He also doesn't cough very much, except when we are doing his Hypertonic during treatments. I always have taken that as a good sign, but wondered why there was still the retraction there.

Thank you for filling me in about what causes it and I appreciate any input!

mbrandazzo

HI Harriet,

Thank you for your response... You are right, I was very concerned about it at first, but since the doctor seemed okay about it, I didn't worry as much... Now I am a little worried again since you said it usually means they are working harder to breathe... HIs O2 levels when we have been at climic are usually around 97-98% - Is that "normal? They never seemed concerned about that either and I have to say that his team is usually pretty aggressive about things.

His health is good right now. He just got over a cold that turned into something more so they put him on antibiotics, which we are almost done with... Other than that he runs around, plays, and never seems out of breath... He also doesn't cough very much, except when we are doing his Hypertonic during treatments. I always have taken that as a good sign, but wondered why there was still the retraction there.

mbrandazzo

HI Harriet,

mbrandazzo

HI Harriet,

mbrandazzo

HI Harriet,
<br />
<br />Thank you for your response... You are right, I was very concerned about it at first, but since the doctor seemed okay about it, I didn't worry as much... Now I am a little worried again since you said it usually means they are working harder to breathe... HIs O2 levels when we have been at climic are usually around 97-98% - Is that "normal? They never seemed concerned about that either and I have to say that his team is usually pretty aggressive about things.
<br />
<br />His health is good right now. He just got over a cold that turned into something more so they put him on antibiotics, which we are almost done with... Other than that he runs around, plays, and never seems out of breath... He also doesn't cough very much, except when we are doing his Hypertonic during treatments. I always have taken that as a good sign, but wondered why there was still the retraction there.
<br />
<br />Thank you for filling me in about what causes it and I appreciate any input!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS had issues with retracting and xrays showed air trapping when he was a baby. He'd had bronchitis at 3 months, that first year he had a couple sinus and ear infections requiring ABX. I believe his doctor had us increase cpt from 3 to 4 times a day.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS had issues with retracting and xrays showed air trapping when he was a baby. He'd had bronchitis at 3 months, that first year he had a couple sinus and ear infections requiring ABX. I believe his doctor had us increase cpt from 3 to 4 times a day.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member