Rhodotorula culture and "many respiratory flora" in sputum

annasdad

We just got our culture results online from a recent visit to the CF doctor. As it is Christmas Eve, we're not going to get to talk to his office until Monday. Can anybody tell me what Rhodotorula means to a CF patient?

Also, our previous cultures have occasionally referred to "respiratory flora." This last one uses the phrase "Many Respiratory Flora." Is this cause for alarm?

Pete (thanks you in advance for any advice)

annasdad

We just got our culture results online from a recent visit to the CF doctor. As it is Christmas Eve, we're not going to get to talk to his office until Monday. Can anybody tell me what Rhodotorula means to a CF patient?

Also, our previous cultures have occasionally referred to "respiratory flora." This last one uses the phrase "Many Respiratory Flora." Is this cause for alarm?

Pete (thanks you in advance for any advice)

annasdad

<br />
<br />Also, our previous cultures have occasionally referred to "respiratory flora." This last one uses the phrase "Many Respiratory Flora." Is this cause for alarm?
<br />
<br />Pete (thanks you in advance for any advice)

M

Mommafirst

From my admittedly rudimentary knowledge of rhodotorula, it is a form of yeast and is common EVERYWHERE...soil, water, air, surfaces. While it is something that could colonize in the lungs of a CF patient, it is also something that could contaminate a sputum culture as well. I have no clue if this is something they would treat with antifungals or not -- my research does not show much concern over this bug.

"Normal flora" is just to say that the stuff that grew is the stuff you'd find in anyone's sputum. We all have bacteria growing all over and within us (gross, right) and there was normal stuff but nothing concerning.

I'm not a scientist or a doctor, so I have no authority to say this, but I don't believe this culture is something troublesome.

Have a great holiday and then call your docs monday morning to see if they can explain it better.

M

Mommafirst

From my admittedly rudimentary knowledge of rhodotorula, it is a form of yeast and is common EVERYWHERE...soil, water, air, surfaces. While it is something that could colonize in the lungs of a CF patient, it is also something that could contaminate a sputum culture as well. I have no clue if this is something they would treat with antifungals or not -- my research does not show much concern over this bug.

"Normal flora" is just to say that the stuff that grew is the stuff you'd find in anyone's sputum. We all have bacteria growing all over and within us (gross, right) and there was normal stuff but nothing concerning.

I'm not a scientist or a doctor, so I have no authority to say this, but I don't believe this culture is something troublesome.

Have a great holiday and then call your docs monday morning to see if they can explain it better.

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />"Normal flora" is just to say that the stuff that grew is the stuff you'd find in anyone's sputum. We all have bacteria growing all over and within us (gross, right) and there was normal stuff but nothing concerning.
<br />
<br />I'm not a scientist or a doctor, so I have no authority to say this, but I don't believe this culture is something troublesome.
<br />
<br />Have a great holiday and then call your docs monday morning to see if they can explain it better.

just1more

Rhodotorula culture and

The change in wording about flora is probably not a big deal. Just whoever looked at the cultures noted there was a lot of growth. "Many" is not a technical term; there is an actual value assigned to cultures that will define if there is more than normal or more importantly more than 'last time'.

As for the Rhodotorula, I can't find much on impact with CF but it is a fungus (yeast) of which there are several others that are pretty common.

I would suspect that depending on how much showed up it might be something they want to try and kill. Someone with more experience with yeasts on here might be able to give you more ideas.

just1more

Rhodotorula culture and

The change in wording about flora is probably not a big deal. Just whoever looked at the cultures noted there was a lot of growth. "Many" is not a technical term; there is an actual value assigned to cultures that will define if there is more than normal or more importantly more than 'last time'.

As for the Rhodotorula, I can't find much on impact with CF but it is a fungus (yeast) of which there are several others that are pretty common.

I would suspect that depending on how much showed up it might be something they want to try and kill. Someone with more experience with yeasts on here might be able to give you more ideas.

just1more

Rhodotorula culture and

<br />
<br />As for the Rhodotorula, I can't find much on impact with CF but it is a fungus (yeast) of which there are several others that are pretty common.
<br />
<br />I would suspect that depending on how much showed up it might be something they want to try and kill. Someone with more experience with yeasts on here might be able to give you more ideas.

hmw

Rhodotorula is a rare fungi (classified as a yeast, as opposed to a filamentous fungi, i.e. aspergillus) that can turn up on culture results. It's one of those things that is found everywhere... air, soil, water (lake or ocean), and food. I was able to find this info about what it is and how it's identified pretty easily... but as far as what they do about it? In a LOT of searching, I couldn't really find anything about that. Since it's not the same type of fungal infection as something like aspergillus, I have no idea if it's treated the same... it's definitely something I'd ask the dr about, as well as how heavy the growth is. It may well be something that would depend on his symptoms. In many cases, findings on culture are 'left alone' unless our child is sick.

I would assume the 'Many Respiratory Flora', if not further identified on the report, is the normal flora that is present in all of our respiratory tracts and usually indicated on report. Our report indicates it as Normal Flora and in light, moderate or heavy growth. Flora that is pathogenic is always further identified by shape, name and then tested for sensitivities (what antibiotics will successfully treat it.)

hmw

Rhodotorula is a rare fungi (classified as a yeast, as opposed to a filamentous fungi, i.e. aspergillus) that can turn up on culture results. It's one of those things that is found everywhere... air, soil, water (lake or ocean), and food. I was able to find this info about what it is and how it's identified pretty easily... but as far as what they do about it? In a LOT of searching, I couldn't really find anything about that. Since it's not the same type of fungal infection as something like aspergillus, I have no idea if it's treated the same... it's definitely something I'd ask the dr about, as well as how heavy the growth is. It may well be something that would depend on his symptoms. In many cases, findings on culture are 'left alone' unless our child is sick.

I would assume the 'Many Respiratory Flora', if not further identified on the report, is the normal flora that is present in all of our respiratory tracts and usually indicated on report. Our report indicates it as Normal Flora and in light, moderate or heavy growth. Flora that is pathogenic is always further identified by shape, name and then tested for sensitivities (what antibiotics will successfully treat it.)

hmw

<br />
<br />I would assume the 'Many Respiratory Flora', if not further identified on the report, is the normal flora that is present in all of our respiratory tracts and usually indicated on report. Our report indicates it as Normal Flora and in light, moderate or heavy growth. Flora that is pathogenic is always further identified by shape, name and then tested for sensitivities (what antibiotics will successfully treat it.)

annasdad

Thanks for your comments. I suspected that the "many flora" would be more clearly delineated if it was of concern, but I am by no means an expert yet, as my Anna is approaching 2 years old and this is only our second "culture scare."

My wife has been very anxious since she looked up the results, and I think she's feeling a bit more relaxed after reading your replies.

We'll definitely let you know what the docs say on Monday, since the site forums seem to have no mention of Rhodotorula, and it might help the next pair of parents that come along.

Pete (thanks you for your help)

annasdad

Thanks for your comments. I suspected that the "many flora" would be more clearly delineated if it was of concern, but I am by no means an expert yet, as my Anna is approaching 2 years old and this is only our second "culture scare."

My wife has been very anxious since she looked up the results, and I think she's feeling a bit more relaxed after reading your replies.

We'll definitely let you know what the docs say on Monday, since the site forums seem to have no mention of Rhodotorula, and it might help the next pair of parents that come along.

Pete (thanks you for your help)

annasdad

<br />
<br />My wife has been very anxious since she looked up the results, and I think she's feeling a bit more relaxed after reading your replies.
<br />
<br />We'll definitely let you know what the docs say on Monday, since the site forums seem to have no mention of Rhodotorula, and it might help the next pair of parents that come along.
<br />
<br />Pete (thanks you for your help)

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
It's always daunting when you get culture results back, especially when it's an odd one. DS had one last summer that was practically unknown -- commonly used to test water samples -- bruvundi something or other.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
It's always daunting when you get culture results back, especially when it's an odd one. DS had one last summer that was practically unknown -- commonly used to test water samples -- bruvundi something or other.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

hmw

Rhodotorula culture and

I truly understand your feelings about those culture results. When Emily was first dx'ed, the first culture results told us she was growing staph and I was SO freaked out. To think of bacteria just lurking in her lungs grossed me out to no end and when we were told they didn't even treat it unless she was sick I was shocked. (I understood it once they explained it, but at the time I was completely new to the disease and how it was treated.) It also weirded me out this past spring when she cultured something our local hospital lab couldn't identify and they had to send it out to a special one for identification and we had to wait a month to find out what it was. It didn't turn out to be a big deal as far as what she was growing, but again- their propensity for growing bugs down there, yuck! Culture results are always a little nervewracking.

hmw

Rhodotorula culture and

I truly understand your feelings about those culture results. When Emily was first dx'ed, the first culture results told us she was growing staph and I was SO freaked out. To think of bacteria just lurking in her lungs grossed me out to no end and when we were told they didn't even treat it unless she was sick I was shocked. (I understood it once they explained it, but at the time I was completely new to the disease and how it was treated.) It also weirded me out this past spring when she cultured something our local hospital lab couldn't identify and they had to send it out to a special one for identification and we had to wait a month to find out what it was. It didn't turn out to be a big deal as far as what she was growing, but again- their propensity for growing bugs down there, yuck! Culture results are always a little nervewracking.