Ringing in the ears

HairGirl

Has anyone had continuous ringing in the ears and a loss of hearing but had it come back? I'm hoping so.

I have been on iv's for 5 out of the last 6 1/2 months and I don't know if that's the reason it's gotten so bad or if it was the antibiotic Amikacin, we lowered the dose by half a couple weeks ago and that didn't do anything and then we stopped it on friday and I still haven't noticed a difference!

Is there anything I can do to get my hearing back? To stop the ringing?

HairGirl

Has anyone had continuous ringing in the ears and a loss of hearing but had it come back? I'm hoping so.

I have been on iv's for 5 out of the last 6 1/2 months and I don't know if that's the reason it's gotten so bad or if it was the antibiotic Amikacin, we lowered the dose by half a couple weeks ago and that didn't do anything and then we stopped it on friday and I still haven't noticed a difference!

HairGirl

PeterC

HairGirl:

Western medicine has no treatment for drug induced hearing loss.

I have been dealing with ringing in both my ears since a hospitalization in 1986 in which I was given IV antibiotics for an extended period of time. Just as soon as they disconnected my IV the ringing started and has never stopped.

My doctors told me that I had suffered permanent nerve damage and my chances of getting my hearing back were pretty slim. They also said it was due to the IV antibiotic I received. I do not remember the name of it but I do know it is a powerful and commonly used one. Many antibiotics being used today can cause this type of problem.

I know now that eastern medicine is more optimistic about such problems and I learned this only months after the ringing started. At first I was depressed about my situation and unfortunately allowed precious time to go bye before seeking alternative help.

Traditional Chinese medicine offers a few different things you can do but they claim the longer you wait the less likely it will work.

I saw an Acupuncturist for several sessions and also was prescribed some herbal remedies but it was only partially successful.

Whatever you do don't take "there is no cure" for an answer. Do some research
and get as many opinions as possible about your situation.

I am convinced you will find a way to improve your situation!!

Best of luck!!!

PeterC 58/cf

PeterC

HairGirl:

I have been dealing with ringing in both my ears since a hospitalization in 1986 in which I was given IV antibiotics for an extended period of time. Just as soon as they disconnected my IV the ringing started and has never stopped.

My doctors told me that I had suffered permanent nerve damage and my chances of getting my hearing back were pretty slim. They also said it was due to the IV antibiotic I received. I do not remember the name of it but I do know it is a powerful and commonly used one. Many antibiotics being used today can cause this type of problem.

I know now that eastern medicine is more optimistic about such problems and I learned this only months after the ringing started. At first I was depressed about my situation and unfortunately allowed precious time to go bye before seeking alternative help.

Traditional Chinese medicine offers a few different things you can do but they claim the longer you wait the less likely it will work.

I saw an Acupuncturist for several sessions and also was prescribed some herbal remedies but it was only partially successful.

Best of luck!!!

PeterC 58/cf

PeterC

HairGirl:

Best of luck!!!

PeterC 58/cf

Diane

When i was on Amikacin back in Oct., after about a week of being on it, i noticed some reduced hearing in my left ear. I told my doctor and she lessened the dose, but then i got off of that antibiotic within 2 weeks of that and it took about a week and a half and my hearing came back to normal. I have always had some very fine ringing in my ears my whole life which i suspect is tinnitus, so i didnt really notice any ringing.

Diane

When i was on Amikacin back in Oct., after about a week of being on it, i noticed some reduced hearing in my left ear. I told my doctor and she lessened the dose, but then i got off of that antibiotic within 2 weeks of that and it took about a week and a half and my hearing came back to normal. I have always had some very fine ringing in my ears my whole life which i suspect is tinnitus, so i didnt really notice any ringing.

Diane

I

IG

aminoglycides (amikacin, tobramycin, etc) can cause permanent hearing loss.
If you're on it and have ringing in the ears stop the drug immediately and call your doc.
Ideally if you're on an aminoglycide you should be having blood levels checked, if you're not harass your doctor.. hearing is too important to lose.

I came across something a while ago while looking up tobramycin that a high percentage of those on the original tobi study who lost their hearing had also been put on another aminoglycide at the same. So possibly the combination of two aminoglycides could be the cause but who knows.

I

IG

If you're on it and have ringing in the ears stop the drug immediately and call your doc.
Ideally if you're on an aminoglycide you should be having blood levels checked, if you're not harass your doctor.. hearing is too important to lose.

I came across something a while ago while looking up tobramycin that a high percentage of those on the original tobi study who lost their hearing had also been put on another aminoglycide at the same. So possibly the combination of two aminoglycides could be the cause but who knows.

I

IG

NoExcuses

Everyone is right. Ringing in the ears can be an indication of hearing loss, which is almost always permanent. Just the nature of the beast....

NoExcuses

Everyone is right. Ringing in the ears can be an indication of hearing loss, which is almost always permanent. Just the nature of the beast....

NoExcuses

Breezy

YEP! it's caused by otoxic meds. I have mild hearing loss due to long term use of otoxic meds as a baby. The typical hearing loss is sensoneurial, which is irreversable. You should look into getting ur hearing tested and being fit for hearing aids, b/c it sounds like (no pun intended) that you're hearing is damaged and you need hearing aids. Hearing aids should stop the ringing. Good luck!

Breezy

YEP! it's caused by otoxic meds. I have mild hearing loss due to long term use of otoxic meds as a baby. The typical hearing loss is sensoneurial, which is irreversable. You should look into getting ur hearing tested and being fit for hearing aids, b/c it sounds like (no pun intended) that you're hearing is damaged and you need hearing aids. Hearing aids should stop the ringing. Good luck!

Breezy

lightNlife

Mention to your doc that you're having hearing problems. I have moderate hearing loss due to Tobramycin over the years. I can't make out voices anymore in my left ear, so I've had to learn to cope with that. The bad news is that the effect of the drugs are cumulative, meaning there's probably not much chance of your hearing coming back. The positive news, is that the loss is conductive, meaning it can be very easily fixed with a hearing aid. I'm in the process of going that route myself.

For the ringing, which is especially bothersome at night when all is still and quiet, I put in a foam rubber earplug. White noise helps too.

Interestingly enough, veterinarians have discovered that the same thing happens in dogs. The following article is about canines, but it has relevance to us too since it's about hearing loss and antibiotics.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.helium.com/tm/114399">Deafness in Dogs Caused By Antibiotics</a>

lightNlife

Mention to your doc that you're having hearing problems. I have moderate hearing loss due to Tobramycin over the years. I can't make out voices anymore in my left ear, so I've had to learn to cope with that. The bad news is that the effect of the drugs are cumulative, meaning there's probably not much chance of your hearing coming back. The positive news, is that the loss is conductive, meaning it can be very easily fixed with a hearing aid. I'm in the process of going that route myself.

For the ringing, which is especially bothersome at night when all is still and quiet, I put in a foam rubber earplug. White noise helps too.

Interestingly enough, veterinarians have discovered that the same thing happens in dogs. The following article is about canines, but it has relevance to us too since it's about hearing loss and antibiotics.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.helium.com/tm/114399">Deafness in Dogs Caused By Antibiotics</a>