Road Trip

65rosessamurai

Robert321 was quite accurate in his reply.

an INVERTER is defined as changing a Direct Current (DC) source into an Alternating Current (AC) source.

However, the relationship between how your alternator handles the converter with the load will depend on the necessary input power of the Inverter.

One major concern is what the ratings for the Vest is, in Wattage, so that the ratings for the output power of the Inverter can be chosen to be more than enough to power the Vest. Usually having a rating of 1/3 more than the maximum is safe, but twice the rating is better.

The second concern would be the input power of the Inverter to feed, or "sink" the power to the vest. This is where Rober321's concern came to mind. In technical terms, the Inverter is using a switching circuit to simulate an alternating voltage and current output. This would mean that it is not an equal power in equals power out type of thing. I'm sure the input power from the battery can easily supply about 5 amps or so, but am thinking it would probably take at the most 3 amps..again, it depends on what kind of load the vest takes, and what kind of input/output the inverter needs to run. Of course, having a fuse in the inverter would save your alternator, and having all other "appliances" in the car off while the engine is running and the vest is going would help.
And, last of all, the wire gauge..I think 18 gauge (AWG18) is the typical wire used for AC appliances that are rated at about 1,000VA or so (going by Japan specs, here). 14 gauge would probably be equally safe, but I think 12 or 10 gauge would be going too far because they get much bigger...better use them for your high output stereo speaker wiring!
Hope that helps answer your question a little better...

65rosessamurai

an INVERTER is defined as changing a Direct Current (DC) source into an Alternating Current (AC) source.

However, the relationship between how your alternator handles the converter with the load will depend on the necessary input power of the Inverter.

One major concern is what the ratings for the Vest is, in Wattage, so that the ratings for the output power of the Inverter can be chosen to be more than enough to power the Vest. Usually having a rating of 1/3 more than the maximum is safe, but twice the rating is better.

The second concern would be the input power of the Inverter to feed, or "sink" the power to the vest. This is where Rober321's concern came to mind. In technical terms, the Inverter is using a switching circuit to simulate an alternating voltage and current output. This would mean that it is not an equal power in equals power out type of thing. I'm sure the input power from the battery can easily supply about 5 amps or so, but am thinking it would probably take at the most 3 amps..again, it depends on what kind of load the vest takes, and what kind of input/output the inverter needs to run. Of course, having a fuse in the inverter would save your alternator, and having all other "appliances" in the car off while the engine is running and the vest is going would help.
And, last of all, the wire gauge..I think 18 gauge (AWG18) is the typical wire used for AC appliances that are rated at about 1,000VA or so (going by Japan specs, here). 14 gauge would probably be equally safe, but I think 12 or 10 gauge would be going too far because they get much bigger...better use them for your high output stereo speaker wiring!

65rosessamurai

65rosessamurai

65rosessamurai

<br />
<br />an INVERTER is defined as changing a Direct Current (DC) source into an Alternating Current (AC) source.
<br />
<br />However, the relationship between how your alternator handles the converter with the load will depend on the necessary input power of the Inverter.
<br />
<br />One major concern is what the ratings for the Vest is, in Wattage, so that the ratings for the output power of the Inverter can be chosen to be more than enough to power the Vest. Usually having a rating of 1/3 more than the maximum is safe, but twice the rating is better.
<br />
<br />The second concern would be the input power of the Inverter to feed, or "sink" the power to the vest. This is where Rober321's concern came to mind. In technical terms, the Inverter is using a switching circuit to simulate an alternating voltage and current output. This would mean that it is not an equal power in equals power out type of thing. I'm sure the input power from the battery can easily supply about 5 amps or so, but am thinking it would probably take at the most 3 amps..again, it depends on what kind of load the vest takes, and what kind of input/output the inverter needs to run. Of course, having a fuse in the inverter would save your alternator, and having all other "appliances" in the car off while the engine is running and the vest is going would help.
<br />And, last of all, the wire gauge..I think 18 gauge (AWG18) is the typical wire used for AC appliances that are rated at about 1,000VA or so (going by Japan specs, here). 14 gauge would probably be equally safe, but I think 12 or 10 gauge would be going too far because they get much bigger...better use them for your high output stereo speaker wiring!
<br />Hope that helps answer your question a little better...