Rsv vaccine

Dowling

My daughter is only a month old and is staying home with me all winter, as are her 4yr old brother and 3 yr old sister. I don't really like extra vaccines, any thoughts? Who did it , who didn't? It's once a month with a big needle OUCH

sdavis227

We did it with Parker and I would do it again in a heartbeat. RSV is NOT something you want a baby to to get let alone a baby with CF.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We did it the first year as well and would do it in a heartbeat. I know of a couple people whose non-cf children got rsv as infants and ended up in the hospital, still have issues with asthma years later. It's a nasty bug you do NOT want to mess with. Also, despite your chilldren staying home, I'm assuming there'll still be clinic appointments, outings, visits with family and friends especially during the holidays. Better safe than sorry.

We also get flu shots as does DS and any family and friends who are in close contact with him.

jshet

My son who is now 15 had RSV when he was 10 months old, caught it from his sister who was 3. We did not have the CF diagnosis yet, but it was one of the scariest things we have ever gone through. He was so sick. He was in an oxygen tent, with pulse ox unable to get out the 80's. He got so bad that his doctors said there wasn't much more they could do we needed to just pray he would turn a corner. We even had him baptized again and we were told to call our families I still say it was a miracle that he did finally turn the corner. He is my miracle. He spent 2 weeks in the hospital. I wish the vaccine would have been offered when he was younger. That year he was hospitalized 5 other times. He just had such a hard time bouncing back from this illness. Just wanted to share our experience with RSV. Janelle

briarrose

We had it last year, and got denied :( by our insurance company this year, even after our doctor appealed it and the insurance company's doctor said that he agreed that our son needed it. I would get it for him again without a doubt. At this point, we're probably looking to not do too much away from the house or with other people from November-April this year. Our son never had a reaction to it, never got sick after it, and stayed healthy and out of the hospital (for lung issues, at least) all last winter.

Dowling

Wait ... U don't leave the house November through April ?? We have a hectic schedule and are out a lot

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
A coworker's grandson got RSV and he was only a month old and still at home, the mom hadn't gone back to work. Our doctor wasn't as concerned with DS having the shots the 2nd year. Mainly just this first year as a teeny tiny infant during RSV season. As your child is exposed to colds, and yes they will get colds, they will develop more of an immunity.

I had gone back to work, so DS was in daycare from 3 months on, but our daycare was pretty strict about their sick policy. I DID avoid the mall, visiting Santa that first year because he wasn't able to get his flu shot until he was 6 months old. I was also extremely nervous that first thanksgiving because there was a major influenza outbreak and several of the relatives travelled from areas (Denver, Minneapolis...) where it was particularly nasty. I was a nervous wreck.

briarrose

We leave to go to doctors appts., swim lessons, the zoo, and to healthy families' homes. Otherwise, we tend to skip the play dates and inside places with him during the sickest times of the year, at least at this age. We don't have any other kids, though, so it's not that big a deal.

Dowling

That's why I'm wondering how this works. I have a 4 yr old and 3 yr old? My 3 year old got RSV when she was a month old and got over it on her own no problem. But she was born in December !

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
There's more of a risk to teeny tiny babies because for one thing if their noses are stuffed up, they have a very difficult time breathing. Plus risk of developing asthma. Risk of lung damage. As one gets older one tends to develop some immunity to it. Although I know there are adults on this site who have gotten it and had major issues.

And most people end up getting it as children, though it presents itself as a very bad cold with lots of snot. DS got the shots and while it was going around daycare, he DID develop a wheezing cough, bit of a cold. We increased CPT and neb treatments to beat it out of him. :)

arcjoshua

Our youngest was born last December and got RSV at three weeks old. It was going around at daycare and his older brother got it. We tried like crazy to keep them apart, wash hands, etc...but toddlers are fascinated with babies and despite our best efforts they couldn't help but share. We didn't know CF diagnosis with the baby at that point, but now know both boys have CF. We were very nervous when we heard a kid from daycare left in an ambulance with a 105 temp and was diagnosed with RSV...then our oldest spiked a fever later in the week. He stayed home for three days from daycare and struggled with bad cold symptoms, but it didn't get any worse for him. The baby started showing symptoms a couple days later, and ended up in the hospital for four days on oxygen through canula then under a hood the last day. They also needed to suction his airway several times because he just couldn't cough the gunk up. We were petrified the whole time, but everything worked out okay. He does have a bit of a cough on and off now, but no long term RSV problems that we have seen yet. This winter will be the test I guess.

So I definitely agree that avoiding this if possible by getting the vaccine is a good idea!

Justinsmama

We did it and I am so glad that we did. It was one less thing to worry about. Justin had 2 surgies to open his airways by 3 months, had apnea, bradycardia, 02 dropps and was on a pulsox and apnea monitor so not having to worry about somethings was a good thing.

S

sweetpeasmmy

My daughter is only 11weeks and because of the CF I didn't hesitate to do it. She didn't like it but 5 minutes later she was back to her normal happy self. The same she is with all the shots she's gotten. I def recommend it! Better be safe then sorry! Good luck