Running and CF

allie5

My daughter also ran her first one mile fun run this past year. She was also 5 1/2 at the time. She is now 6. The run was for donate life so it was a perfect 1st run for her. I don't have any answers to your questions but I thought I would share my daughter's experience as well. We plan to do more once the heat isn't so bad. Maybe this Fall sometime. I do feel it is a great exercise for them as long as they pace themselves.

Good luck! Amy

allie5

My daughter also ran her first one mile fun run this past year. She was also 5 1/2 at the time. She is now 6. The run was for donate life so it was a perfect 1st run for her. I don't have any answers to your questions but I thought I would share my daughter's experience as well. We plan to do more once the heat isn't so bad. Maybe this Fall sometime. I do feel it is a great exercise for them as long as they pace themselves.

Good luck! Amy

allie5

Good luck! Amy

allie5

Good luck! Amy

allie5

<br />
<br />Good luck! Amy

rubyroselee

Hi there,

When I first begin my soccer season, the running can be hard. My chest usually hurts but I think it's more due to my heart working too hard. If you're not in good shape, the heart has to pump extra hard to oxygenate the blood. Based on age, there is a certain heart rate that you shouldn't go above when exercising. I can't remember what the numbers are now, but you can probably find them on the internet. They say that if your heart rate goes above that number then you need to slow down the intensity of the exercise. That's just my experience, since the chest pain seems to be coming from my increased heart rate.

If she's really SOB, an inhaler might be beneficial as well. I find that it doesn't do much for me.

rubyroselee

Hi there,

When I first begin my soccer season, the running can be hard. My chest usually hurts but I think it's more due to my heart working too hard. If you're not in good shape, the heart has to pump extra hard to oxygenate the blood. Based on age, there is a certain heart rate that you shouldn't go above when exercising. I can't remember what the numbers are now, but you can probably find them on the internet. They say that if your heart rate goes above that number then you need to slow down the intensity of the exercise. That's just my experience, since the chest pain seems to be coming from my increased heart rate.

If she's really SOB, an inhaler might be beneficial as well. I find that it doesn't do much for me.

rubyroselee

Hi there,

rubyroselee

Hi there,

rubyroselee

Hi there,
<br />
<br />When I first begin my soccer season, the running can be hard. My chest usually hurts but I think it's more due to my heart working too hard. If you're not in good shape, the heart has to pump extra hard to oxygenate the blood. Based on age, there is a certain heart rate that you shouldn't go above when exercising. I can't remember what the numbers are now, but you can probably find them on the internet. They say that if your heart rate goes above that number then you need to slow down the intensity of the exercise. That's just my experience, since the chest pain seems to be coming from my increased heart rate.
<br />
<br />If she's really SOB, an inhaler might be beneficial as well. I find that it doesn't do much for me.

cdale613

I think she needs to learn how to pace herself. The fittest person can be short of breath after sprinting all out.

I ran cross country and track in high school and college, topping out at a 4 minute 34 second mile. Running is what kept me healthy and compliant with my meds through my teens and early twenties. I cared a lot about personal bests, and was willing to do anything I could to help get them... including my nebs.

I know that there are some little kid running programs out there, but you might want to start by signing her up for town league soccer, or something like that... lots of running, but also a "game". Chasing the ball around will get her used to running, and the next time a fun run comes up, maybe she'll be able to pace herself better. I always went out too hard too... maybe its a cf thing.

Chris

28 m w/cf

cdale613

I think she needs to learn how to pace herself. The fittest person can be short of breath after sprinting all out.

I ran cross country and track in high school and college, topping out at a 4 minute 34 second mile. Running is what kept me healthy and compliant with my meds through my teens and early twenties. I cared a lot about personal bests, and was willing to do anything I could to help get them... including my nebs.

I know that there are some little kid running programs out there, but you might want to start by signing her up for town league soccer, or something like that... lots of running, but also a "game". Chasing the ball around will get her used to running, and the next time a fun run comes up, maybe she'll be able to pace herself better. I always went out too hard too... maybe its a cf thing.

Chris

28 m w/cf

cdale613

Chris

28 m w/cf

cdale613

Chris

28 m w/cf

cdale613

<br />
<br />I ran cross country and track in high school and college, topping out at a 4 minute 34 second mile. Running is what kept me healthy and compliant with my meds through my teens and early twenties. I cared a lot about personal bests, and was willing to do anything I could to help get them... including my nebs.
<br />
<br />I know that there are some little kid running programs out there, but you might want to start by signing her up for town league soccer, or something like that... lots of running, but also a "game". Chasing the ball around will get her used to running, and the next time a fun run comes up, maybe she'll be able to pace herself better. I always went out too hard too... maybe its a cf thing.
<br />
<br />Chris
<br />
<br />28 m w/cf

luv2run

Kids fun runs are so cute! Good for her! A full mile is a long distance for a 5 year old.

I run a lot, and starting up is the worst!!! It takes a couple of weeks to get the breathing normalized. It gets so much easier the more you do it. Kids run different than us that is for sure, they don't know how to "pace." You may want to try doing a fast walk next to her while she runs to help guide her pace? Try talking to her as you walk and she runs - to make sure she is able to say a few words here and there.

I always breathe through my mouth, and I don't even try to inhale through my nose. I ran a 5K last week and came in 1st (women't overall, anyway) so I guess it didn't take up to much energy?

When I train, I always focus on mileage first, then speed.

Keep us up to date on her, ok!

Chris - you ROCK!!! That's awesome. How many miles a day/week do you plan on doing 900 miles?

Luci
29/cf

luv2run

Kids fun runs are so cute! Good for her! A full mile is a long distance for a 5 year old.

I run a lot, and starting up is the worst!!! It takes a couple of weeks to get the breathing normalized. It gets so much easier the more you do it. Kids run different than us that is for sure, they don't know how to "pace." You may want to try doing a fast walk next to her while she runs to help guide her pace? Try talking to her as you walk and she runs - to make sure she is able to say a few words here and there.

I always breathe through my mouth, and I don't even try to inhale through my nose. I ran a 5K last week and came in 1st (women't overall, anyway) so I guess it didn't take up to much energy?

Chris - you ROCK!!! That's awesome. How many miles a day/week do you plan on doing 900 miles?

Luci
29/cf

luv2run

Luci
29/cf

luv2run

Luci
29/cf

luv2run

<br />
<br />I run a lot, and starting up is the worst!!! It takes a couple of weeks to get the breathing normalized. It gets so much easier the more you do it. Kids run different than us that is for sure, they don't know how to "pace." You may want to try doing a fast walk next to her while she runs to help guide her pace? Try talking to her as you walk and she runs - to make sure she is able to say a few words here and there.
<br />
<br />I always breathe through my mouth, and I don't even try to inhale through my nose. I ran a 5K last week and came in 1st (women't overall, anyway) so I guess it didn't take up to much energy?
<br />
<br />When I train, I always focus on mileage first, then speed.
<br />
<br />Keep us up to date on her, ok!
<br />
<br />Chris - you ROCK!!! That's awesome. How many miles a day/week do you plan on doing 900 miles?
<br />
<br />Luci
<br />29/cf
<br />
<br />