School Absences

PatrickM

Hi,

My son is an 8th grader and he misses a lot of school. So far this year it has been 23 days, last year totaled 87, and about 50 the year before. His absences are erratic. He might feel fine one day and then have a terrible cough for 3 days and then be back to school only to be out again the next week. He is constantly making up work and even though he has a 504 with a supposed modified work load, because he isn't generally absent for large chunks of time he is expected to do the same amount of work kids who are in school all the time do.

I have hired an educational advocate so I can better understand his rights. She wants to try to get him an Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) which according to her can carry more weight than just the 504. I am also very concerned about him heading in to high school next year. He will be attending a fairly large high school and I see how much work his older brother has and I just don't know how my son with CF will ever keep up.

My question to you is what modifications have you had implemented for you that have helped to lessen the stress and work load of absences due to CF? Or what do you think looking back would have helped you? I am looking for specific ideas so when we approach the school we can say here is what we are asking for. Has anyone ever had their classes video taped so if they are absent you could watch the class on line? Or had scheduled in school tutoring? Any ideas would really be appreciated.

Thanks!

Tara

PatrickM

Hi,

My son is an 8th grader and he misses a lot of school. So far this year it has been 23 days, last year totaled 87, and about 50 the year before. His absences are erratic. He might feel fine one day and then have a terrible cough for 3 days and then be back to school only to be out again the next week. He is constantly making up work and even though he has a 504 with a supposed modified work load, because he isn't generally absent for large chunks of time he is expected to do the same amount of work kids who are in school all the time do.

I have hired an educational advocate so I can better understand his rights. She wants to try to get him an Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) which according to her can carry more weight than just the 504. I am also very concerned about him heading in to high school next year. He will be attending a fairly large high school and I see how much work his older brother has and I just don't know how my son with CF will ever keep up.

My question to you is what modifications have you had implemented for you that have helped to lessen the stress and work load of absences due to CF? Or what do you think looking back would have helped you? I am looking for specific ideas so when we approach the school we can say here is what we are asking for. Has anyone ever had their classes video taped so if they are absent you could watch the class on line? Or had scheduled in school tutoring? Any ideas would really be appreciated.

Thanks!

Tara

PatrickM

Hi,
<br />
<br />My son is an 8th grader and he misses a lot of school. So far this year it has been 23 days, last year totaled 87, and about 50 the year before. His absences are erratic. He might feel fine one day and then have a terrible cough for 3 days and then be back to school only to be out again the next week. He is constantly making up work and even though he has a 504 with a supposed modified work load, because he isn't generally absent for large chunks of time he is expected to do the same amount of work kids who are in school all the time do.
<br />
<br /> I have hired an educational advocate so I can better understand his rights. She wants to try to get him an Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) which according to her can carry more weight than just the 504. I am also very concerned about him heading in to high school next year. He will be attending a fairly large high school and I see how much work his older brother has and I just don't know how my son with CF will ever keep up.
<br />
<br />My question to you is what modifications have you had implemented for you that have helped to lessen the stress and work load of absences due to CF? Or what do you think looking back would have helped you? I am looking for specific ideas so when we approach the school we can say here is what we are asking for. Has anyone ever had their classes video taped so if they are absent you could watch the class on line? Or had scheduled in school tutoring? Any ideas would really be appreciated.
<br />
<br />Thanks!
<br />
<br />Tara
<br />
<br />

pipersmom

Sara, not sure how it works in your state, but you should be able to get homebound schooling for him. Piper missed 16 weeks of school last year! What I've done is had it written into her 504 that after 10 <b>cumulative</b> not consecutive, absences, she's automatically approved for homebound. A teacher will come to your home and teach/tutor on the material he's missing. Also, this year we've written in that she only needs 9 grades per class for her report card. They will also double dip and use, say an essay, for a writing grade and a spelling grade. If they are not modifying the workload appropriately, you should talk to the teachers, then move on to the principal if needed. Piper is only in 4th grade, but the way it works here is 5 hrs of homebound per week for elementary, then 10 for the upper grades. Hope this helps somewhat.

pipersmom

Sara, not sure how it works in your state, but you should be able to get homebound schooling for him. Piper missed 16 weeks of school last year! What I've done is had it written into her 504 that after 10 <b>cumulative</b> not consecutive, absences, she's automatically approved for homebound. A teacher will come to your home and teach/tutor on the material he's missing. Also, this year we've written in that she only needs 9 grades per class for her report card. They will also double dip and use, say an essay, for a writing grade and a spelling grade. If they are not modifying the workload appropriately, you should talk to the teachers, then move on to the principal if needed. Piper is only in 4th grade, but the way it works here is 5 hrs of homebound per week for elementary, then 10 for the upper grades. Hope this helps somewhat.

pipersmom

countrygal9210

As a CF patient and as a newly high school graduate, I would suggest to you..An online school.
My local school had a "digital academy". As a Digital Academy student I was able to go to prom, homecoming, play basketball, plays, etc. Through my district, a digital academy student was still considered a "high school" etc student and could do anything that the other students who went to the school could do. I was even able to do online schooling through my digital academy and do PSEOP (post-secondary option) which allowed me to do college classes at a local college and get high school credits for it (while getting ahead in college).
Your son may not be able to do PSEOP (or whatever it is called where you live..) But I managed quite well. I had a few problems with teachers (for the first time ever) and my guidance counselor allowed me to get an IEP and it worked wonders for me. In college it was more easier because alot of times everything was online, or some teachers would give a tentative schedule so you had an idea. I would talk to the teachers on the first day of class and things would go great. I even was able to attend college while having home med's done via pickline. You can pick classes to fit what you want and I found it better than high school.
But back to the online schooling, you can look online at different places for where you live. I live in Ohio and we have TRECA or Aventa. We get vacations just like a normal student. I could do homework while in the hospital. (My academy gave out either a desktop or laptop and I got the laptop due to my health conditions). The online teachers worked with me also. If I was sick I would email them and they could give me credit for keeping in touch and I would just work harder on the days i felt good to get caught back up. I was even able to finish High school in 2 years. However I chose not to do so and graduate with my original class.
As a cf patient (and not the only one who went through my academy..) I would say to look at online schooling where a school district offers it. I wish I could have stayed in high school cuz I loved the schooling so much. I could do my classes the way I understood them. I could listen to music (which helped me concentrate) and even though we were supposed to do 1 lesson in each class everyday, I did my classes different to what fit me best. I did 5 lessons in each in one day. For example I would do 5 lessons in social studdies and would be done for the day. The next day I would do 5 lessons in math and be done. Etc. I could even work on the weekends to get ahead, etc. Now, I again went through TRECA Digital Academy which will be different frmo the many others out there. Each one is different.
But I wish your family and son the best. I hope this advice helps. Your more than welcome to ask any other questions, etc. I would be more than happy to help answer yours questions about online schooling to the best of my ability.
ALSO!! I should add a big thing people worry about....Social Life's while going to an online school. I was a very active person. I did sports. Hung out with friends. Did everything a normal 'High Schooler' would. Just because a person doesn't 'go to a high school' doesnt mean they have to be pulled from the world and a social life. My district has a school for all the "digital academy kids' where they are online students but they also have a classroom which they spend their day in. The teachers give them gym time some days, they get to go outside during the summer and walk or play kick ball. etc. I would look into a school like this if your child wants to stay in a school environment. But just because your child is in an online school does not mean 'I do not get to see friends and be social'. I was exactly what every other high school student was...Just did my school work online..

Hope this helps and I will be more than happy to help with anything you want to know.

countrygal9210

As a CF patient and as a newly high school graduate, I would suggest to you..An online school.
My local school had a "digital academy". As a Digital Academy student I was able to go to prom, homecoming, play basketball, plays, etc. Through my district, a digital academy student was still considered a "high school" etc student and could do anything that the other students who went to the school could do. I was even able to do online schooling through my digital academy and do PSEOP (post-secondary option) which allowed me to do college classes at a local college and get high school credits for it (while getting ahead in college).
Your son may not be able to do PSEOP (or whatever it is called where you live..) But I managed quite well. I had a few problems with teachers (for the first time ever) and my guidance counselor allowed me to get an IEP and it worked wonders for me. In college it was more easier because alot of times everything was online, or some teachers would give a tentative schedule so you had an idea. I would talk to the teachers on the first day of class and things would go great. I even was able to attend college while having home med's done via pickline. You can pick classes to fit what you want and I found it better than high school.
But back to the online schooling, you can look online at different places for where you live. I live in Ohio and we have TRECA or Aventa. We get vacations just like a normal student. I could do homework while in the hospital. (My academy gave out either a desktop or laptop and I got the laptop due to my health conditions). The online teachers worked with me also. If I was sick I would email them and they could give me credit for keeping in touch and I would just work harder on the days i felt good to get caught back up. I was even able to finish High school in 2 years. However I chose not to do so and graduate with my original class.
As a cf patient (and not the only one who went through my academy..) I would say to look at online schooling where a school district offers it. I wish I could have stayed in high school cuz I loved the schooling so much. I could do my classes the way I understood them. I could listen to music (which helped me concentrate) and even though we were supposed to do 1 lesson in each class everyday, I did my classes different to what fit me best. I did 5 lessons in each in one day. For example I would do 5 lessons in social studdies and would be done for the day. The next day I would do 5 lessons in math and be done. Etc. I could even work on the weekends to get ahead, etc. Now, I again went through TRECA Digital Academy which will be different frmo the many others out there. Each one is different.
But I wish your family and son the best. I hope this advice helps. Your more than welcome to ask any other questions, etc. I would be more than happy to help answer yours questions about online schooling to the best of my ability.
ALSO!! I should add a big thing people worry about....Social Life's while going to an online school. I was a very active person. I did sports. Hung out with friends. Did everything a normal 'High Schooler' would. Just because a person doesn't 'go to a high school' doesnt mean they have to be pulled from the world and a social life. My district has a school for all the "digital academy kids' where they are online students but they also have a classroom which they spend their day in. The teachers give them gym time some days, they get to go outside during the summer and walk or play kick ball. etc. I would look into a school like this if your child wants to stay in a school environment. But just because your child is in an online school does not mean 'I do not get to see friends and be social'. I was exactly what every other high school student was...Just did my school work online..

Hope this helps and I will be more than happy to help with anything you want to know.

countrygal9210

<br />My local school had a "digital academy". As a Digital Academy student I was able to go to prom, homecoming, play basketball, plays, etc. Through my district, a digital academy student was still considered a "high school" etc student and could do anything that the other students who went to the school could do. I was even able to do online schooling through my digital academy and do PSEOP (post-secondary option) which allowed me to do college classes at a local college and get high school credits for it (while getting ahead in college).
<br />Your son may not be able to do PSEOP (or whatever it is called where you live..) But I managed quite well. I had a few problems with teachers (for the first time ever) and my guidance counselor allowed me to get an IEP and it worked wonders for me. In college it was more easier because alot of times everything was online, or some teachers would give a tentative schedule so you had an idea. I would talk to the teachers on the first day of class and things would go great. I even was able to attend college while having home med's done via pickline. You can pick classes to fit what you want and I found it better than high school.
<br />But back to the online schooling, you can look online at different places for where you live. I live in Ohio and we have TRECA or Aventa. We get vacations just like a normal student. I could do homework while in the hospital. (My academy gave out either a desktop or laptop and I got the laptop due to my health conditions). The online teachers worked with me also. If I was sick I would email them and they could give me credit for keeping in touch and I would just work harder on the days i felt good to get caught back up. I was even able to finish High school in 2 years. However I chose not to do so and graduate with my original class.
<br />As a cf patient (and not the only one who went through my academy..) I would say to look at online schooling where a school district offers it. I wish I could have stayed in high school cuz I loved the schooling so much. I could do my classes the way I understood them. I could listen to music (which helped me concentrate) and even though we were supposed to do 1 lesson in each class everyday, I did my classes different to what fit me best. I did 5 lessons in each in one day. For example I would do 5 lessons in social studdies and would be done for the day. The next day I would do 5 lessons in math and be done. Etc. I could even work on the weekends to get ahead, etc. Now, I again went through TRECA Digital Academy which will be different frmo the many others out there. Each one is different.
<br />But I wish your family and son the best. I hope this advice helps. Your more than welcome to ask any other questions, etc. I would be more than happy to help answer yours questions about online schooling to the best of my ability.
<br />ALSO!! I should add a big thing people worry about....Social Life's while going to an online school. I was a very active person. I did sports. Hung out with friends. Did everything a normal 'High Schooler' would. Just because a person doesn't 'go to a high school' doesnt mean they have to be pulled from the world and a social life. My district has a school for all the "digital academy kids' where they are online students but they also have a classroom which they spend their day in. The teachers give them gym time some days, they get to go outside during the summer and walk or play kick ball. etc. I would look into a school like this if your child wants to stay in a school environment. But just because your child is in an online school does not mean 'I do not get to see friends and be social'. I was exactly what every other high school student was...Just did my school work online..
<br />
<br />Hope this helps and I will be more than happy to help with anything you want to know.

bananagirl

I agree with the person above me Online schooling sounds like a good idea. I never did it myself but I always wanted to and wished I had. I had a 504 and we would talk to my teachers before I missed school and get all my work so I could do it at home. I also hated missing school so unless I was in the hospital I forced myself to go so I didn't end up missing that much. I also had the idea to video tape my classes but never did it. If you aren't wanting to do online school video taping seems like a good idea. Maybe you could buy a video tape and have the school pass it along to all your sons classes each day and then pick up the tape so he could watch the classes at home. I hope you come up with a solution I know how hard it is to keep up in school when you miss even if it is just a day or two at a time.

bananagirl

I agree with the person above me Online schooling sounds like a good idea. I never did it myself but I always wanted to and wished I had. I had a 504 and we would talk to my teachers before I missed school and get all my work so I could do it at home. I also hated missing school so unless I was in the hospital I forced myself to go so I didn't end up missing that much. I also had the idea to video tape my classes but never did it. If you aren't wanting to do online school video taping seems like a good idea. Maybe you could buy a video tape and have the school pass it along to all your sons classes each day and then pick up the tape so he could watch the classes at home. I hope you come up with a solution I know how hard it is to keep up in school when you miss even if it is just a day or two at a time.

bananagirl

PatrickM

Thank you for your responses, I really appreciate your input. Countrygal, I have considered the on line schooling and I guess I just want him to have the experience of high school, if I can set it up to be a reasonable one in terms of the expectations if he is absent. He really went from about 10 absences a year which I don't consider much, to 30 days so far this year! I keep hoping his health will get under control but it seems to always be something. He would like to experience high school and I don't think there is a digital academy here in Massachusetts like the one you attended but I love the concept where you can go to school digitally and still be part of the school community. I will definitely look in to it more. I appreciate the time you all took to help us out.

Tara

PatrickM

Thank you for your responses, I really appreciate your input. Countrygal, I have considered the on line schooling and I guess I just want him to have the experience of high school, if I can set it up to be a reasonable one in terms of the expectations if he is absent. He really went from about 10 absences a year which I don't consider much, to 30 days so far this year! I keep hoping his health will get under control but it seems to always be something. He would like to experience high school and I don't think there is a digital academy here in Massachusetts like the one you attended but I love the concept where you can go to school digitally and still be part of the school community. I will definitely look in to it more. I appreciate the time you all took to help us out.

Tara

PatrickM

<br />
<br />Tara

T

tarheel

I'm a high school senior this year, and excessive absences have been an issue for me ever since middle school too. I missed about 50 days of school last year. I honestly at this point don't know if I'm going to graduate. If I had to do it all over again though, here are my observations and suggestions:

1.) an IEP and 504 are tools that are often ignored by the school.(Many times they will try to keep you from getting one too) Even though they supposedly carry legal weight, they are not worth the paper they are written on. I have an IEP, a Gifted IEP and a 504 and I can not say that they have helped. I would however, set one up so you can at least point out that you have one that they're choosing to ignore.

2.) DO NOT DO HOMEBOUD EDUCATION, WHATEVER YOU DO! I did this for about two months my sophomore year. Basically it was getting worksheets from the teachers and someone would deliver them to my house. She didn't know any of the subjects I was learning and was absolutely no help if I didn't understand something. On top of this, homebound does not show up as an absence on your permanent record. I had to explain to colleges that the reason I failed that quarter was because I was not there and not getting most of the work (which was marked as zeros instead of excused) and was not marked as absent by the school.

3.) The guidance counselors are full of *****. Just do what your gut tells you you should do. Taking their advice has landed me in a pit that at this point is inescapable. If you don't believe me, ask yourself this- If these people had brain cells enough to do this job, would they be doing it? (if you answer yes, congratulations. You've just won an all expenses paid vacation to hawaii. All you have to do is send someone in Cuba your social security number.)

4.) Research your cyber school. The cyber school that I'm doing work in now (for credit in my high school) that the school recognises is not a great cyber school. Look at the courses they offer- my advice is to make sure that math goes up to calculus level and languages up to year 4. This is not in and of itself a determinate factor, but it tells you something of the caliber of their education. Just because it is not a brick and mortar school does not mean you should sacrifice your child's education for the cyber option. Pennsylvania Leadership Charter School (PALCS) is a good example of a good cyber charter school.

5.) Don't second guess yourself. You know what is right for your family and your child.

T

tarheel

I'm a high school senior this year, and excessive absences have been an issue for me ever since middle school too. I missed about 50 days of school last year. I honestly at this point don't know if I'm going to graduate. If I had to do it all over again though, here are my observations and suggestions:

1.) an IEP and 504 are tools that are often ignored by the school.(Many times they will try to keep you from getting one too) Even though they supposedly carry legal weight, they are not worth the paper they are written on. I have an IEP, a Gifted IEP and a 504 and I can not say that they have helped. I would however, set one up so you can at least point out that you have one that they're choosing to ignore.

2.) DO NOT DO HOMEBOUD EDUCATION, WHATEVER YOU DO! I did this for about two months my sophomore year. Basically it was getting worksheets from the teachers and someone would deliver them to my house. She didn't know any of the subjects I was learning and was absolutely no help if I didn't understand something. On top of this, homebound does not show up as an absence on your permanent record. I had to explain to colleges that the reason I failed that quarter was because I was not there and not getting most of the work (which was marked as zeros instead of excused) and was not marked as absent by the school.

3.) The guidance counselors are full of *****. Just do what your gut tells you you should do. Taking their advice has landed me in a pit that at this point is inescapable. If you don't believe me, ask yourself this- If these people had brain cells enough to do this job, would they be doing it? (if you answer yes, congratulations. You've just won an all expenses paid vacation to hawaii. All you have to do is send someone in Cuba your social security number.)

4.) Research your cyber school. The cyber school that I'm doing work in now (for credit in my high school) that the school recognises is not a great cyber school. Look at the courses they offer- my advice is to make sure that math goes up to calculus level and languages up to year 4. This is not in and of itself a determinate factor, but it tells you something of the caliber of their education. Just because it is not a brick and mortar school does not mean you should sacrifice your child's education for the cyber option. Pennsylvania Leadership Charter School (PALCS) is a good example of a good cyber charter school.

5.) Don't second guess yourself. You know what is right for your family and your child.

T

tarheel

<br />
<br />1.) an IEP and 504 are tools that are often ignored by the school.(Many times they will try to keep you from getting one too) Even though they supposedly carry legal weight, they are not worth the paper they are written on. I have an IEP, a Gifted IEP and a 504 and I can not say that they have helped. I would however, set one up so you can at least point out that you have one that they're choosing to ignore.
<br />
<br />2.) DO NOT DO HOMEBOUD EDUCATION, WHATEVER YOU DO! I did this for about two months my sophomore year. Basically it was getting worksheets from the teachers and someone would deliver them to my house. She didn't know any of the subjects I was learning and was absolutely no help if I didn't understand something. On top of this, homebound does not show up as an absence on your permanent record. I had to explain to colleges that the reason I failed that quarter was because I was not there and not getting most of the work (which was marked as zeros instead of excused) and was not marked as absent by the school.
<br />
<br />3.) The guidance counselors are full of *****. Just do what your gut tells you you should do. Taking their advice has landed me in a pit that at this point is inescapable. If you don't believe me, ask yourself this- If these people had brain cells enough to do this job, would they be doing it? (if you answer yes, congratulations. You've just won an all expenses paid vacation to hawaii. All you have to do is send someone in Cuba your social security number.)
<br />
<br />4.) Research your cyber school. The cyber school that I'm doing work in now (for credit in my high school) that the school recognises is not a great cyber school. Look at the courses they offer- my advice is to make sure that math goes up to calculus level and languages up to year 4. This is not in and of itself a determinate factor, but it tells you something of the caliber of their education. Just because it is not a brick and mortar school does not mean you should sacrifice your child's education for the cyber option. Pennsylvania Leadership Charter School (PALCS) is a good example of a good cyber charter school.
<br />
<br />5.) Don't second guess yourself. You know what is right for your family and your child.

PatrickM

April,

Thank you for your advice. I totally feel your frustration with the school system and them not honoring the IEP/504. That has been our experience as well and it is so frustrating. I keep telling myself that for my son this is only middle school, but next year he goes to a fairly large high school and I am stressed just thinking about those first days absent. You know I actually had someone in the special education office suggest to me he complete high school in 5 years instead of 4! He is a very smart kid, are you kidding me? That is why I hired someone to help us understand what responsibilities the public school system has to educate him. Anyway, I just want you to know I appreciate you sharing your experience with me and giving me more great advice. I need it and it confirms for me I am on the right track. I wish you the VERY best of luck getting through senior year. I hope you get to enjoy it at least a bit. :)

Tara

PatrickM

April,

Thank you for your advice. I totally feel your frustration with the school system and them not honoring the IEP/504. That has been our experience as well and it is so frustrating. I keep telling myself that for my son this is only middle school, but next year he goes to a fairly large high school and I am stressed just thinking about those first days absent. You know I actually had someone in the special education office suggest to me he complete high school in 5 years instead of 4! He is a very smart kid, are you kidding me? That is why I hired someone to help us understand what responsibilities the public school system has to educate him. Anyway, I just want you to know I appreciate you sharing your experience with me and giving me more great advice. I need it and it confirms for me I am on the right track. I wish you the VERY best of luck getting through senior year. I hope you get to enjoy it at least a bit. :)

Tara