School Absences

PatrickM

April,
<br />
<br />Thank you for your advice. I totally feel your frustration with the school system and them not honoring the IEP/504. That has been our experience as well and it is so frustrating. I keep telling myself that for my son this is only middle school, but next year he goes to a fairly large high school and I am stressed just thinking about those first days absent. You know I actually had someone in the special education office suggest to me he complete high school in 5 years instead of 4! He is a very smart kid, are you kidding me? That is why I hired someone to help us understand what responsibilities the public school system has to educate him. Anyway, I just want you to know I appreciate you sharing your experience with me and giving me more great advice. I need it and it confirms for me I am on the right track. I wish you the VERY best of luck getting through senior year. I hope you get to enjoy it at least a bit. :)
<br />
<br />Tara

Hey Tara,
My name is Laura. I am a 19 year old college dance student living with CF. I have had a lot of hard time with the work load and making up school and having to drop classes. Your son finishing up his schooling is no rush. I am currently at a 2 year college but am going to have to be there for at least 3 years due to medical things. However, I am getting through and that's all that matters. Try an IEP. I had a 504 for a long time and needed an IEP later because of the more difficult work load. Plus, he may have a couple of bad weeks or so but eventually, he'll sail through years of school. We are all pretty awesome fighters like that and most all of my teachers and professor were very understanding it was never a problem. Don't sweat it. One day at a time.
I wish your son the best!
-Laura

Hey Tara,
My name is Laura. I am a 19 year old college dance student living with CF. I have had a lot of hard time with the work load and making up school and having to drop classes. Your son finishing up his schooling is no rush. I am currently at a 2 year college but am going to have to be there for at least 3 years due to medical things. However, I am getting through and that's all that matters. Try an IEP. I had a 504 for a long time and needed an IEP later because of the more difficult work load. Plus, he may have a couple of bad weeks or so but eventually, he'll sail through years of school. We are all pretty awesome fighters like that and most all of my teachers and professor were very understanding it was never a problem. Don't sweat it. One day at a time.
I wish your son the best!
-Laura

Hey Tara,
<br />My name is Laura. I am a 19 year old college dance student living with CF. I have had a lot of hard time with the work load and making up school and having to drop classes. Your son finishing up his schooling is no rush. I am currently at a 2 year college but am going to have to be there for at least 3 years due to medical things. However, I am getting through and that's all that matters. Try an IEP. I had a 504 for a long time and needed an IEP later because of the more difficult work load. Plus, he may have a couple of bad weeks or so but eventually, he'll sail through years of school. We are all pretty awesome fighters like that and most all of my teachers and professor were very understanding it was never a problem. Don't sweat it. One day at a time.
<br />I wish your son the best!
<br />-Laura

Murgie

Hi Tara,
If you are still reviewing these, I would like to add another idea. My son went to middle school for 1/2 a year and we had to make a change. Although he had an IEP/504 plan in place, there were WAY too many children at his middle school here in Ca, and our son was lost. He was failing, missing way too much school, his stress level was off the charts, but he liked having friends there. When we realized his workload was really OVERLOAD, regardless of teacher cooperation, we checked into Charter Schools. I wanted my son to attend school Monday through Friday, and we found one close to our home that allows him that! He is now in 7th grade and doing fabulous. He has improved his grades, and shows an interest in his education as well as making new friends. The charter school does not have the long days that our public school had, and that has been a big help to early morning issues. I have found some high schools with this charter that have some fabulous opportunities and I hope my son will thrive. He wants to attend a regular public high school, but I know it is not in his best interest. Over 1500 students compared to the 78 in his school now. Be sure too look at all the opportunities and assess where your son will bloom. Mine happens to be quite shy and timid so the huge school could swallow him up. I hope the best for you and your son!

Murgie

Hi Tara,
If you are still reviewing these, I would like to add another idea. My son went to middle school for 1/2 a year and we had to make a change. Although he had an IEP/504 plan in place, there were WAY too many children at his middle school here in Ca, and our son was lost. He was failing, missing way too much school, his stress level was off the charts, but he liked having friends there. When we realized his workload was really OVERLOAD, regardless of teacher cooperation, we checked into Charter Schools. I wanted my son to attend school Monday through Friday, and we found one close to our home that allows him that! He is now in 7th grade and doing fabulous. He has improved his grades, and shows an interest in his education as well as making new friends. The charter school does not have the long days that our public school had, and that has been a big help to early morning issues. I have found some high schools with this charter that have some fabulous opportunities and I hope my son will thrive. He wants to attend a regular public high school, but I know it is not in his best interest. Over 1500 students compared to the 78 in his school now. Be sure too look at all the opportunities and assess where your son will bloom. Mine happens to be quite shy and timid so the huge school could swallow him up. I hope the best for you and your son!

Murgie

Hi Tara,
<br />If you are still reviewing these, I would like to add another idea. My son went to middle school for 1/2 a year and we had to make a change. Although he had an IEP/504 plan in place, there were WAY too many children at his middle school here in Ca, and our son was lost. He was failing, missing way too much school, his stress level was off the charts, but he liked having friends there. When we realized his workload was really OVERLOAD, regardless of teacher cooperation, we checked into Charter Schools. I wanted my son to attend school Monday through Friday, and we found one close to our home that allows him that! He is now in 7th grade and doing fabulous. He has improved his grades, and shows an interest in his education as well as making new friends. The charter school does not have the long days that our public school had, and that has been a big help to early morning issues. I have found some high schools with this charter that have some fabulous opportunities and I hope my son will thrive. He wants to attend a regular public high school, but I know it is not in his best interest. Over 1500 students compared to the 78 in his school now. Be sure too look at all the opportunities and assess where your son will bloom. Mine happens to be quite shy and timid so the huge school could swallow him up. I hope the best for you and your son!

T

tarheel

My second input:

Okay, so after an awful first quarter and part of the second, I was able to change the math teacher that has given me so much trouble for three (!!!) years. With this new teacher, I'm doing much better and everything seems to be going better. You need to have control unconditionally over situations like this- you can't afford to screw around for three years. But, again, all this is kind of front porch looking in sort of view. Hindsight is always 20/20.
And don't do it in 5 years. Highschool is (arguably) the worst four years in any successful person's life- why make it five? (plus dealing with WHY you're doing it over 5 years to other peers is just a whole mess of akward.)

T

tarheel

My second input:

Okay, so after an awful first quarter and part of the second, I was able to change the math teacher that has given me so much trouble for three (!!!) years. With this new teacher, I'm doing much better and everything seems to be going better. You need to have control unconditionally over situations like this- you can't afford to screw around for three years. But, again, all this is kind of front porch looking in sort of view. Hindsight is always 20/20.
And don't do it in 5 years. Highschool is (arguably) the worst four years in any successful person's life- why make it five? (plus dealing with WHY you're doing it over 5 years to other peers is just a whole mess of akward.)

T

tarheel

My second input:
<br />
<br />Okay, so after an awful first quarter and part of the second, I was able to change the math teacher that has given me so much trouble for three (!!!) years. With this new teacher, I'm doing much better and everything seems to be going better. You need to have control unconditionally over situations like this- you can't afford to screw around for three years. But, again, all this is kind of front porch looking in sort of view. Hindsight is always 20/20.
<br />And don't do it in 5 years. Highschool is (arguably) the worst four years in any successful person's life- why make it five? (plus dealing with WHY you're doing it over 5 years to other peers is just a whole mess of akward.)

dmarie781

I have had a lot of the same issues as other people here. My daughter did her 2nd semester online last year. Every kid is different and my daughter needs a teacher guiding her. This made it a lot harder. She is tired a lot from coughing at night and a typical teenager. It was very hard to get her motivated to independently do her online work, so I would work , cook dinner, and end up sitting with her to do all her work every night. She also really missed the socialization of friends and school.
She is back in school now and the first semester went great, honor roll and everything, but now she is sick again and has been out of school for 1 week. She is so stressed about the make up work because some of the teachers are not understanding about her situation, even though I have talked to them all 1 on 1 about her situation. I am so stressed out too! I can't wait for her to get out of high school.

dmarie781

I have had a lot of the same issues as other people here. My daughter did her 2nd semester online last year. Every kid is different and my daughter needs a teacher guiding her. This made it a lot harder. She is tired a lot from coughing at night and a typical teenager. It was very hard to get her motivated to independently do her online work, so I would work , cook dinner, and end up sitting with her to do all her work every night. She also really missed the socialization of friends and school.
She is back in school now and the first semester went great, honor roll and everything, but now she is sick again and has been out of school for 1 week. She is so stressed about the make up work because some of the teachers are not understanding about her situation, even though I have talked to them all 1 on 1 about her situation. I am so stressed out too! I can't wait for her to get out of high school.

dmarie781

<br /> She is back in school now and the first semester went great, honor roll and everything, but now she is sick again and has been out of school for 1 week. She is so stressed about the make up work because some of the teachers are not understanding about her situation, even though I have talked to them all 1 on 1 about her situation. I am so stressed out too! I can't wait for her to get out of high school.