school

ceraj1979

I want to get help deciding to send my son who has cf to school. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
we are homeschooling for many reasons. first, he has horrible gi issues andfrequentky we spend all morning back and forth to potty. and then with treatments, it would just make his day so crazy rushed and with homeschool you can get it done in half the time. and it will be easier to make up when sick,etc. i also dont want to fight the battles of accomodations and the reality that teachers and kids come to school sick...sometimes very sick. i have many friends who homeschool and ive taught college soit isnt a strange cncept to me and i also like a classical curriculum muchbetter than anything public or private. i know others choose public or private and have geat reasons for that, sothis is jusr part of my rationale.

Nugget1

My daughter entered kindergarten this past Fall and although I was somewhat anxious about it, it was the best decision I could have made. It is a very small elementary school (K-5) about 500 students and they all, the teachers, administrators and the nurse have been so kind and understanding toward her. I have had to fight zero battles for accommodations for her. She does in fact have a 504 Plan in place, and that took no effort on my part to obtain. This simply allows the school to have an understanding of what her needs might be. In the U.S all CF patients are covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, you just have to have it put in place. If my daughter were late everyday because of treatment requirements it CANNOT be held against her. I have had to take her equipment to school and perform her airway clearance there when she has needed it to maintain her health and have been accommodated by all. If you are uncomfortable still, talk with the school in advance. My daughter is friendly and outgoing and only through entry to school has she had the opportunity to meet other children as the area we live in is rather rural. I would never second guess another's decision for their child by my choice was best for my daughter. Additionally, the school community has had an opportunity to learn about CF.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.happyheartfamilies.com/TipsForCFParents.html We used the letter to teachers and included the info from CFRI and CFF about CF in the classroom The school used the letter as the basis for DS' 504. Basically our concerns were with getting enzymes in a timely manner, school enforcing their sick child policy, access to bathrooms/water if necessary and no other CF children in the same class room. DS just finished 3rd grade. We do all vest treatments before and after school, all medications with the exception of his enzymes are dispensed at home.