Schooling Advice?

cincycf

We have a 4 year old daughter with CF. She is coming to the age to consider public school. We would love to get some parental input about public school and/or home school experiences. Did your child get sick often in school at young age? Did the school cooperate with you pretty well? Any regrets or advice about how you would do things different in hindsight? Social issues with CF at school? Or any other advice would be helpful. Thanks and God Bless you!

cincycf

We have a 4 year old daughter with CF. She is coming to the age to consider public school. We would love to get some parental input about public school and/or home school experiences. Did your child get sick often in school at young age? Did the school cooperate with you pretty well? Any regrets or advice about how you would do things different in hindsight? Social issues with CF at school? Or any other advice would be helpful. Thanks and God Bless you!

cincycf

cincycf

cincycf

Juliet

One of my daughter's friends at public middle school has CF. My daughter tells me about her taking enzymes with lunch. Sometimes when there's something 'going around' at school she'll not go for a few days (even if she's not sick) and instead try to keep up from home. I'm not sure of what arrangement she's made with the school, but I imagine they are flexible with CF children. The thing that really amazed me is how kids have no preconceived prejudices towards other children (until they're taught that unfortunately!). So it was quite matter of fact that I learned about her from my daughter. Her friends all know this girl and they all didn't consider CF to be a big deal (ie. the girl is fitting in quite normally).

This entire subject came up only a few months ago when I was DX with CF and was discussing it with my then 12 year old (7th grade). I'm curious to hear what other parents have to say on the subject as I've not got direct experience, only really that second hand look via the teenager's eyes into one child with CF that I'm aware of in our school system. ~Juliet

Juliet

One of my daughter's friends at public middle school has CF. My daughter tells me about her taking enzymes with lunch. Sometimes when there's something 'going around' at school she'll not go for a few days (even if she's not sick) and instead try to keep up from home. I'm not sure of what arrangement she's made with the school, but I imagine they are flexible with CF children. The thing that really amazed me is how kids have no preconceived prejudices towards other children (until they're taught that unfortunately!). So it was quite matter of fact that I learned about her from my daughter. Her friends all know this girl and they all didn't consider CF to be a big deal (ie. the girl is fitting in quite normally).

This entire subject came up only a few months ago when I was DX with CF and was discussing it with my then 12 year old (7th grade). I'm curious to hear what other parents have to say on the subject as I've not got direct experience, only really that second hand look via the teenager's eyes into one child with CF that I'm aware of in our school system. ~Juliet

Juliet

Juliet

Juliet

<br />
<br />This entire subject came up only a few months ago when I was DX with CF and was discussing it with my then 12 year old (7th grade). I'm curious to hear what other parents have to say on the subject as I've not got direct experience, only really that second hand look via the teenager's eyes into one child with CF that I'm aware of in our school system. ~Juliet

pjspiegle

We have done both. I did let Nathan go to school because he wanted to and we paid for it by having to go into the hospital for tune-ups every 3 months. We switched and went to home-schooling and he had tune-ups every 6 months for a year or two but it gradually increased back to every 3-4 months. We are so excited because we just made it 5 months and have one scheduled for July which will be 6 months, for the first time in over 3 years. So, I am not sure that there is a difference or not, it depends on the child and what the childs disease is doing at the time. Then again, I will never know for sure if letting him go to kindergarten started it all and if I had not let him it wouldn't have happened, but I try not to overanalye decisions. I maybe about to make that same mistake as he wants to go to high school so I am letting him take 4 classes a day to start to see how it goes, he starts this Aug.
I can tell you that it really depends on the school and the teacher you get too. Some are better than others, some are realisitic about the disease, others don't have a clue.
As far as the education goes, I find that varies from school and teacher to school and teacher as well. I think that if home-schooling is done properly and for the right reasons, kids tend to get a much better foundation to build upon when they get to the Jr and Sr High schools where they can take classes of their choice and have honor and advanced placement choices and do not have to stay behind because of the rest of the kids in their age group.
Personally, if I had it to do all over again, I would home-school all of my kids up to Middle school, possibly High scool, and then give them the choice of which they prefer. I know a lot of home-schoolers and some kids need the social interactions and club opportunities that are offered once they get to 6th grade and beyond and others really prefer the home-school option all the way through.
If you choose to home-school, make sure to find what options are available to you in your area. Like in Colorado, there is an Options program where home-schoolers go to school once a week with other home-schooled kids and take classes like art, pe, music, and can get help with stuff like English and math, oh and they do science experiments. This was a great option for my kids because they got to be with others once a week at least and do the stuff that I was reluctant to do at home.
Sorry, this is kind of long, hope it helps some.

PS: As I read some of the other posts now, I agree that you have to homeschool for the right reasons and CF alone may not be a good enough reason. But if you have other reasons such as the quality of education available, personal reasons, a strong belief, and a VERY strong will to do so, then it maybe a good option. In my experience, those who choose to homeschool but didn't do it for the right reasons, hated it, got behind, didn't do any real school work, and both the kids and parents were miserable. It is a lot of work and a big commitment and works great for those who are very serious about it, set up very definete school hours, etc. It is very hard to do if you do not really have a heart for doing it and are only doing it for health reasons, though sometimes health reasons do make it necessary, you need to have more than that to start out and are successful with it.

pjspiegle

We have done both. I did let Nathan go to school because he wanted to and we paid for it by having to go into the hospital for tune-ups every 3 months. We switched and went to home-schooling and he had tune-ups every 6 months for a year or two but it gradually increased back to every 3-4 months. We are so excited because we just made it 5 months and have one scheduled for July which will be 6 months, for the first time in over 3 years. So, I am not sure that there is a difference or not, it depends on the child and what the childs disease is doing at the time. Then again, I will never know for sure if letting him go to kindergarten started it all and if I had not let him it wouldn't have happened, but I try not to overanalye decisions. I maybe about to make that same mistake as he wants to go to high school so I am letting him take 4 classes a day to start to see how it goes, he starts this Aug.
I can tell you that it really depends on the school and the teacher you get too. Some are better than others, some are realisitic about the disease, others don't have a clue.
As far as the education goes, I find that varies from school and teacher to school and teacher as well. I think that if home-schooling is done properly and for the right reasons, kids tend to get a much better foundation to build upon when they get to the Jr and Sr High schools where they can take classes of their choice and have honor and advanced placement choices and do not have to stay behind because of the rest of the kids in their age group.
Personally, if I had it to do all over again, I would home-school all of my kids up to Middle school, possibly High scool, and then give them the choice of which they prefer. I know a lot of home-schoolers and some kids need the social interactions and club opportunities that are offered once they get to 6th grade and beyond and others really prefer the home-school option all the way through.
If you choose to home-school, make sure to find what options are available to you in your area. Like in Colorado, there is an Options program where home-schoolers go to school once a week with other home-schooled kids and take classes like art, pe, music, and can get help with stuff like English and math, oh and they do science experiments. This was a great option for my kids because they got to be with others once a week at least and do the stuff that I was reluctant to do at home.

PS: As I read some of the other posts now, I agree that you have to homeschool for the right reasons and CF alone may not be a good enough reason. But if you have other reasons such as the quality of education available, personal reasons, a strong belief, and a VERY strong will to do so, then it maybe a good option. In my experience, those who choose to homeschool but didn't do it for the right reasons, hated it, got behind, didn't do any real school work, and both the kids and parents were miserable. It is a lot of work and a big commitment and works great for those who are very serious about it, set up very definete school hours, etc. It is very hard to do if you do not really have a heart for doing it and are only doing it for health reasons, though sometimes health reasons do make it necessary, you need to have more than that to start out and are successful with it.

pjspiegle

pjspiegle

pjspiegle

<br />I can tell you that it really depends on the school and the teacher you get too. Some are better than others, some are realisitic about the disease, others don't have a clue.
<br />As far as the education goes, I find that varies from school and teacher to school and teacher as well. I think that if home-schooling is done properly and for the right reasons, kids tend to get a much better foundation to build upon when they get to the Jr and Sr High schools where they can take classes of their choice and have honor and advanced placement choices and do not have to stay behind because of the rest of the kids in their age group.
<br />Personally, if I had it to do all over again, I would home-school all of my kids up to Middle school, possibly High scool, and then give them the choice of which they prefer. I know a lot of home-schoolers and some kids need the social interactions and club opportunities that are offered once they get to 6th grade and beyond and others really prefer the home-school option all the way through.
<br />If you choose to home-school, make sure to find what options are available to you in your area. Like in Colorado, there is an Options program where home-schoolers go to school once a week with other home-schooled kids and take classes like art, pe, music, and can get help with stuff like English and math, oh and they do science experiments. This was a great option for my kids because they got to be with others once a week at least and do the stuff that I was reluctant to do at home.
<br />Sorry, this is kind of long, hope it helps some.
<br />
<br />
<br />PS: As I read some of the other posts now, I agree that you have to homeschool for the right reasons and CF alone may not be a good enough reason. But if you have other reasons such as the quality of education available, personal reasons, a strong belief, and a VERY strong will to do so, then it maybe a good option. In my experience, those who choose to homeschool but didn't do it for the right reasons, hated it, got behind, didn't do any real school work, and both the kids and parents were miserable. It is a lot of work and a big commitment and works great for those who are very serious about it, set up very definete school hours, etc. It is very hard to do if you do not really have a heart for doing it and are only doing it for health reasons, though sometimes health reasons do make it necessary, you need to have more than that to start out and are successful with it.
<br />

Emily65Roses

Not a parent, but I'm an adult CFer. And I say unless a reason arises to homeschool, let the kid go to public school. They don't need to be alienated or weirder than they already are. I went to public school my whole life and I'm glad for it.

Emily65Roses

Not a parent, but I'm an adult CFer. And I say unless a reason arises to homeschool, let the kid go to public school. They don't need to be alienated or weirder than they already are. I went to public school my whole life and I'm glad for it.

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses