Schooling Advice?

Alyssa

We home schooled and loved it! I cannot say we home schooled for reasons of CF - since we didn't even know they had CF until they were 14 and 18 years old!

Check out home schooling and un-schooling sites and decide if it is something you are interested in doing (or send me a PM with specific questions - I'll be happy to tell you more). CF or not - it can be a wonderful experience for your family. Keep in mind too that home schooling can mean many different things to many different people - everyone has their own views and experiences...opinions vary greatly on the subject.

Alyssa

We home schooled and loved it! I cannot say we home schooled for reasons of CF - since we didn't even know they had CF until they were 14 and 18 years old!

Check out home schooling and un-schooling sites and decide if it is something you are interested in doing (or send me a PM with specific questions - I'll be happy to tell you more). CF or not - it can be a wonderful experience for your family. Keep in mind too that home schooling can mean many different things to many different people - everyone has their own views and experiences...opinions vary greatly on the subject.

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

<br />
<br />Check out home schooling and un-schooling sites and decide if it is something you are interested in doing (or send me a PM with specific questions - I'll be happy to tell you more). CF or not - it can be a wonderful experience for your family. Keep in mind too that home schooling can mean many different things to many different people - everyone has their own views and experiences...opinions vary greatly on the subject.

rubyroselee

I agree with what the other CF adults have said above...I don't believe that having CF is a reason to homeschool (unless a special situation warrants it). I went to public schools my whole life and I loved it! I will definitely put my kids in public schools as well.

I had the best experiences in public school...being on sports teams, in clubs, meeting all sorts of people, etc.

I have nothing against homeschooling though if that's a choice parents do make, but I don't think CF is a reason to choose homeschooling.

Just my opinion!

rubyroselee

I agree with what the other CF adults have said above...I don't believe that having CF is a reason to homeschool (unless a special situation warrants it). I went to public schools my whole life and I loved it! I will definitely put my kids in public schools as well.

I had the best experiences in public school...being on sports teams, in clubs, meeting all sorts of people, etc.

I have nothing against homeschooling though if that's a choice parents do make, but I don't think CF is a reason to choose homeschooling.

Just my opinion!

rubyroselee

Just my opinion!

rubyroselee

Just my opinion!

rubyroselee

<br />
<br />I had the best experiences in public school...being on sports teams, in clubs, meeting all sorts of people, etc.
<br />
<br />I have nothing against homeschooling though if that's a choice parents do make, but I don't think CF is a reason to choose homeschooling.
<br />
<br />Just my opinion!

Murgie

HI CIndy,(
My son is 10, has diabetes type1 - diagnosed 3/07) and CF. He attends public school and I am VERY involved. I have always had to attend every field trip with him, I volunteer in the classroom once a week, we have a 504 plan in place and this is crucal for his optimal health. We are blessed with a local health clerk and district nurse who care for Sam and keep mom informed. We are advised when a catchy virus is spreading or fires with smoke issues, and told to keep Sam home. PLease speak with your clinic social worker, or look on line to develop a 504 plan day one of each school year, and don't let them drop. We are our children's only advocates and they need us! The 504 plan protects our children from education overload when they are hospitalized, home hospital teachers when needed, and extra time for work due to illness.
Public school are the only ones that MUST help us educate our children when they are out ill, private schools do not have to assist.
Make good choices and best wishes to you for a wpnderful elementary adventure

Murgie

HI CIndy,(
My son is 10, has diabetes type1 - diagnosed 3/07) and CF. He attends public school and I am VERY involved. I have always had to attend every field trip with him, I volunteer in the classroom once a week, we have a 504 plan in place and this is crucal for his optimal health. We are blessed with a local health clerk and district nurse who care for Sam and keep mom informed. We are advised when a catchy virus is spreading or fires with smoke issues, and told to keep Sam home. PLease speak with your clinic social worker, or look on line to develop a 504 plan day one of each school year, and don't let them drop. We are our children's only advocates and they need us! The 504 plan protects our children from education overload when they are hospitalized, home hospital teachers when needed, and extra time for work due to illness.
Public school are the only ones that MUST help us educate our children when they are out ill, private schools do not have to assist.

Murgie

HI CIndy,(

Murgie

HI CIndy,(

Murgie

HI CIndy,(
<br /> My son is 10, has diabetes type1 - diagnosed 3/07) and CF. He attends public school and I am VERY involved. I have always had to attend every field trip with him, I volunteer in the classroom once a week, we have a 504 plan in place and this is crucal for his optimal health. We are blessed with a local health clerk and district nurse who care for Sam and keep mom informed. We are advised when a catchy virus is spreading or fires with smoke issues, and told to keep Sam home. PLease speak with your clinic social worker, or look on line to develop a 504 plan day one of each school year, and don't let them drop. We are our children's only advocates and they need us! The 504 plan protects our children from education overload when they are hospitalized, home hospital teachers when needed, and extra time for work due to illness.
<br />Public school are the only ones that MUST help us educate our children when they are out ill, private schools do not have to assist.
<br />Make good choices and best wishes to you for a wpnderful elementary adventure