Second Opinion

ymikhale

Hi everybody,
I will be travelling with my daughter w/cf abroad to see my family and I'd like to take advntage of the trip to get a second opinion at a very reputable hospital out there.

So my question is how do you go about it? I mean do you just bring x rays and records and ask them what they think (sorry if it sounds stupid as a question, but I just don't have much expeince at this)?

Any advice/experiences would be very appreciated

ymikhale

Hi everybody,
I will be travelling with my daughter w/cf abroad to see my family and I'd like to take advntage of the trip to get a second opinion at a very reputable hospital out there.

So my question is how do you go about it? I mean do you just bring x rays and records and ask them what they think (sorry if it sounds stupid as a question, but I just don't have much expeince at this)?

ymikhale

Hi everybody,

ymikhale

Hi everybody,

ymikhale

Hi everybody,
<br />I will be travelling with my daughter w/cf abroad to see my family and I'd like to take advntage of the trip to get a second opinion at a very reputable hospital out there.
<br />
<br />So my question is how do you go about it? I mean do you just bring x rays and records and ask them what they think (sorry if it sounds stupid as a question, but I just don't have much expeince at this)?
<br />
<br />Any advice/experiences would be very appreciated

saveferris2009

I'm always getting second opinions (Minnesota, Cincinnati, Denver, Stanford) and yes I basically have my records transfered (fax, email, snail mail).

I call ahead of time, get an appt, and say that I'm seeking to understand how the doc might treat me differently if I was seen at their clinic.

Sometimes I have active questions (while at Stanford, I was having night sweats; while at Denver I was having hemoptysis often and wondered if I should get embolized; while at Minnesota I wanted to make sure I had the latest technology for my Vest) so I'll get those questions addressed as well.

People do this routinely, so it's not weird for you to ask for a second opinion. These clinics / docs are used to it.

Lastly, I want to say congratulations on getting a second opinion. Hopefully this will inspire you to get a 3rd, 4th, 5th.

CF is treated in a WIDE variety of ways (many people assume they get the same care everywhere) and being <b>proactive</b> on understanding how others are treated and incorporating some changes into your daughter's care - if appropriate - can be very helpful.

I know I am much healthier as a result of getting 2nd opinions - and I think I influence my doc back at my CF center which I think translates into healthier CFer's at my clinic.

FIGHT ON

saveferris2009

I'm always getting second opinions (Minnesota, Cincinnati, Denver, Stanford) and yes I basically have my records transfered (fax, email, snail mail).

I call ahead of time, get an appt, and say that I'm seeking to understand how the doc might treat me differently if I was seen at their clinic.

Sometimes I have active questions (while at Stanford, I was having night sweats; while at Denver I was having hemoptysis often and wondered if I should get embolized; while at Minnesota I wanted to make sure I had the latest technology for my Vest) so I'll get those questions addressed as well.

People do this routinely, so it's not weird for you to ask for a second opinion. These clinics / docs are used to it.

Lastly, I want to say congratulations on getting a second opinion. Hopefully this will inspire you to get a 3rd, 4th, 5th.

CF is treated in a WIDE variety of ways (many people assume they get the same care everywhere) and being <b>proactive</b> on understanding how others are treated and incorporating some changes into your daughter's care - if appropriate - can be very helpful.

I know I am much healthier as a result of getting 2nd opinions - and I think I influence my doc back at my CF center which I think translates into healthier CFer's at my clinic.

FIGHT ON

saveferris2009

FIGHT ON

saveferris2009

FIGHT ON

saveferris2009

<br />
<br />I call ahead of time, get an appt, and say that I'm seeking to understand how the doc might treat me differently if I was seen at their clinic.
<br />
<br />Sometimes I have active questions (while at Stanford, I was having night sweats; while at Denver I was having hemoptysis often and wondered if I should get embolized; while at Minnesota I wanted to make sure I had the latest technology for my Vest) so I'll get those questions addressed as well.
<br />
<br />People do this routinely, so it's not weird for you to ask for a second opinion. These clinics / docs are used to it.
<br />
<br />Lastly, I want to say congratulations on getting a second opinion. Hopefully this will inspire you to get a 3rd, 4th, 5th.
<br />
<br />CF is treated in a WIDE variety of ways (many people assume they get the same care everywhere) and being <b>proactive</b> on understanding how others are treated and incorporating some changes into your daughter's care - if appropriate - can be very helpful.
<br />
<br />I know I am much healthier as a result of getting 2nd opinions - and I think I influence my doc back at my CF center which I think translates into healthier CFer's at my clinic.
<br />
<br />FIGHT ON