Secondary Insurance

lilismom

It looks like my husband is going to get a full time job at Microsoft. He's been contracting for 2 years and we have our own insurance which is getting too expensive. Microsoft's health insurance plans cover 100% with no monthly premiums. A lot of people stay at Microsoft just because of the benefits, I can see why.

Does anyone have secondary insurance? I called our insurance company to look into keeping coverage for Lili and it would be $110 a month with a $2600 yearly deductible. Although I'd rather not pay $ each month for insurance we don't use I'm beginning to think it's wise to keep it if we can to ensure that Lili is always covered.

Please advise.

lilismom

It looks like my husband is going to get a full time job at Microsoft. He's been contracting for 2 years and we have our own insurance which is getting too expensive. Microsoft's health insurance plans cover 100% with no monthly premiums. A lot of people stay at Microsoft just because of the benefits, I can see why.

Does anyone have secondary insurance? I called our insurance company to look into keeping coverage for Lili and it would be $110 a month with a $2600 yearly deductible. Although I'd rather not pay $ each month for insurance we don't use I'm beginning to think it's wise to keep it if we can to ensure that Lili is always covered.

Please advise.

lilismom

Please advise.

lilismom

Please advise.

lilismom

Please advise.

Alyssa

If paying the $110 per month is not a problem, you may be money ahead to keep it as secondary insurance. I would check into a few things ahead of time to make sure you understand what will and will not be paid for by your secondary. How much they pay depends on which policy is better. Things can vary depending on the criteria of each insurance policy. For example if your new primary insurance has a $20 copay, then they send that bill to secondary insurance and that policy has a $30 copay you will still be out the $20. But if your secondary only has a $10 copay then that's all you would have to pay. Same story for the deductible.... so I guess you need to take a guess at how much you think you will go through and if it is worth the $1320 in premiums + the $2600 in deductible if it got to that....Also check out each policy for policy year.... are they both calendar year (starting over in January) or are they fiscal year (starting over in July) I know of one lady who's primary was calendar year and secondary was fiscal year -- she would just do alright during the first six month of the year because her secondary deductible had already been met so between primary and secondary she didn't have to pay much, but then after July the deductible for secondary would start over and the bills wouldn't get picked up by secondary until she paid the deductible again.

I'd say depending on what happens with her health in any given year you may or may not get your $1320 worth. But again, with CF who knows.... so I'm ending with the beginning... if you can afford it, yes hang onto the coverage.

Alyssa

If paying the $110 per month is not a problem, you may be money ahead to keep it as secondary insurance. I would check into a few things ahead of time to make sure you understand what will and will not be paid for by your secondary. How much they pay depends on which policy is better. Things can vary depending on the criteria of each insurance policy. For example if your new primary insurance has a $20 copay, then they send that bill to secondary insurance and that policy has a $30 copay you will still be out the $20. But if your secondary only has a $10 copay then that's all you would have to pay. Same story for the deductible.... so I guess you need to take a guess at how much you think you will go through and if it is worth the $1320 in premiums + the $2600 in deductible if it got to that....Also check out each policy for policy year.... are they both calendar year (starting over in January) or are they fiscal year (starting over in July) I know of one lady who's primary was calendar year and secondary was fiscal year -- she would just do alright during the first six month of the year because her secondary deductible had already been met so between primary and secondary she didn't have to pay much, but then after July the deductible for secondary would start over and the bills wouldn't get picked up by secondary until she paid the deductible again.

I'd say depending on what happens with her health in any given year you may or may not get your $1320 worth. But again, with CF who knows.... so I'm ending with the beginning... if you can afford it, yes hang onto the coverage.

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

Rudyrose

When it comes to insurance there are many rules. You need to verify which coverage would be her primary. You do not get to choose which of the two is the primary and which is the secondary, there are certain rules which govern that. The same as when both parents work and insure their children, the parent with the birthday that is first in the calendar year is usually the primary insurance. If you cover your daughter on her own policy that is probably going to be the primary coverage and your husbands insurance will probably be the secondary. Make sure you understand this because it may affect how things get paid. It especially makes a difference if one policy is HMO and one is PPO. If the doctors she sees are not on both plans this can affect payment as they may not be covered at all for payment or they may only qualify for out of network payment. Make sure you understand all of it before deciding on coverage.

Rudyrose

When it comes to insurance there are many rules. You need to verify which coverage would be her primary. You do not get to choose which of the two is the primary and which is the secondary, there are certain rules which govern that. The same as when both parents work and insure their children, the parent with the birthday that is first in the calendar year is usually the primary insurance. If you cover your daughter on her own policy that is probably going to be the primary coverage and your husbands insurance will probably be the secondary. Make sure you understand this because it may affect how things get paid. It especially makes a difference if one policy is HMO and one is PPO. If the doctors she sees are not on both plans this can affect payment as they may not be covered at all for payment or they may only qualify for out of network payment. Make sure you understand all of it before deciding on coverage.

Rudyrose

Rudyrose

Rudyrose

lilismom

Thanks Alyssa and Rudyrose for your input. I mainly want to keep the insurance we have now for her in case we are in a situation again where we need our own insurance. I'll do some research. Is it against the law not to put down the insurance we have now for her and just keep it for a rainy day in the future?

lilismom

Thanks Alyssa and Rudyrose for your input. I mainly want to keep the insurance we have now for her in case we are in a situation again where we need our own insurance. I'll do some research. Is it against the law not to put down the insurance we have now for her and just keep it for a rainy day in the future?

lilismom

lilismom

lilismom