seeking information on thinning out thick secretions

JBBert

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can help with information on thinning out thick secretions. My adult son has a type of muscular dystrophy that causes thick secretions that he has to spit up. Due to his restrictive lung disease,he has no ability to cough it up,so we use cough assist,the vest and percussion. We also use pulmozyne and xopanax breathing medication but donot, get much relief. Does anyone have any ideas you have used that work? Thank you for any ideas Joanne

JBBert

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can help with information on thinning out thick secretions. My adult son has a type of muscular dystrophy that causes thick secretions that he has to spit up. Due to his restrictive lung disease,he has no ability to cough it up,so we use cough assist,the vest and percussion. We also use pulmozyne and xopanax breathing medication but donot, get much relief. Does anyone have any ideas you have used that work? Thank you for any ideas Joanne

JBBert

Hi,

JBBert

Hi,

JBBert

Hi,
<br />
<br />I am wondering if anyone can help with information on thinning out thick secretions. My adult son has a type of muscular dystrophy that causes thick secretions that he has to spit up. Due to his restrictive lung disease,he has no ability to cough it up,so we use cough assist,the vest and percussion. We also use pulmozyne and xopanax breathing medication but donot, get much relief. Does anyone have any ideas you have used that work? Thank you for any ideas Joanne
<br />

hockeykid

Hello! I use Mucomyst 10% to help thin my secretions. I find it to be quite helpful. Maybe you can ask your doctor about it.

hockeykid

Hello! I use Mucomyst 10% to help thin my secretions. I find it to be quite helpful. Maybe you can ask your doctor about it.

hockeykid

hockeykid

hockeykid

Liza

Perhaps hypertonic saline will help. The salt thins out mucus. This has recently been added to many CF'ers routine to help thin out the mucus so it is easier to cough up. The idea came from a study done on Australian surfers when it was discovered that they didn't have as many infections as a non surfing CF'er. In our own experience, when my girls have been at the beach sometimes just the salty air would make their noses run and being in the water and playing around also made them cough more and (OK this is gross) it seemd to just flow.

Liza

Perhaps hypertonic saline will help. The salt thins out mucus. This has recently been added to many CF'ers routine to help thin out the mucus so it is easier to cough up. The idea came from a study done on Australian surfers when it was discovered that they didn't have as many infections as a non surfing CF'er. In our own experience, when my girls have been at the beach sometimes just the salty air would make their noses run and being in the water and playing around also made them cough more and (OK this is gross) it seemd to just flow.

Liza

Liza

Liza