Sense of Smell

summer732

So I recently had my second sinus surgery (usually my doctor pulls out the polyps in his office, but this time, they were simply too deep so we had to go with the full surgery). Usually after I have either a surgery or office procedure to remove the polyps, my sense of smell comes back stronger than ever. Well unfortunately for me this time it didn't come back. i had my face buried in a bowl of sour milk the other day and couldn't smell it. Since it didn't look right I knew it was sour and my dad confirmed that for me.

Has anyone else experienced this? Has your sense of smell returned after a while? I mean out of all of the senses I can live without this one, but it is very frustrating to know that you are popping a bag of popcorn and you should smell something and you don't! Or that you are sitting in a restaurant and it doesn't smell.

I get concerned that I'm not going to smell fire, or a gas leak from a stove, or something spoiled in the fridge/garbage, or myself after a day on the beack (YIKES!).

Any advice for this one?

summer732

So I recently had my second sinus surgery (usually my doctor pulls out the polyps in his office, but this time, they were simply too deep so we had to go with the full surgery). Usually after I have either a surgery or office procedure to remove the polyps, my sense of smell comes back stronger than ever. Well unfortunately for me this time it didn't come back. i had my face buried in a bowl of sour milk the other day and couldn't smell it. Since it didn't look right I knew it was sour and my dad confirmed that for me.

Has anyone else experienced this? Has your sense of smell returned after a while? I mean out of all of the senses I can live without this one, but it is very frustrating to know that you are popping a bag of popcorn and you should smell something and you don't! Or that you are sitting in a restaurant and it doesn't smell.

I get concerned that I'm not going to smell fire, or a gas leak from a stove, or something spoiled in the fridge/garbage, or myself after a day on the beack (YIKES!).

Any advice for this one?

summer732

Any advice for this one?

summer732

Any advice for this one?

summer732

Any advice for this one?

summer732

Any advice for this one?

Diane

I dont have any real advice for you, but wanted to let you know you arent alone. I lost my sense of smell yeeeaaaars ago. I had a sinus surgery about 10 years ago and i remember the Dr. telling me it should return after the surgery and it never really did. It seems to return in waves. Every now and then i can smell things, and most times i cant. Certain things i can always smell, like perfume or smoke, probably because they are the things that bothers me most. I always ask my friends when they come over if my cat litter smells, because i truely can not smell it more than half the time. I do notice when i am on iv's which i am now, my sense of smell does improve somewhat.

Diane

I dont have any real advice for you, but wanted to let you know you arent alone. I lost my sense of smell yeeeaaaars ago. I had a sinus surgery about 10 years ago and i remember the Dr. telling me it should return after the surgery and it never really did. It seems to return in waves. Every now and then i can smell things, and most times i cant. Certain things i can always smell, like perfume or smoke, probably because they are the things that bothers me most. I always ask my friends when they come over if my cat litter smells, because i truely can not smell it more than half the time. I do notice when i am on iv's which i am now, my sense of smell does improve somewhat.

Diane

Diane

Diane

Diane

M

MCGrad2006

yea I have had that happen before. I had my third and final sinus surgery about 10 yrs ago and my sense of smell still isnt right. Dont get me wrong, certain things I can def smell, but other times, friends will say what is that smell or something like that....and I wont be able to smell it....such is life! booo

M

MCGrad2006

yea I have had that happen before. I had my third and final sinus surgery about 10 yrs ago and my sense of smell still isnt right. Dont get me wrong, certain things I can def smell, but other times, friends will say what is that smell or something like that....and I wont be able to smell it....such is life! booo

M

MCGrad2006

M

MCGrad2006

M

MCGrad2006

M

MCGrad2006

lightNlife

I have had a couple sinus surgeries and one cauterization. My sense of smell was diminished initially, but returned somewhat. Mostly it's my sense of taste that has been altered. I find I'm able to tolerate (tastebud wise) far stronger, spicier foods than before. It's actually sort of cool because then I can eat something like a teaspoon of that hot mustard at Chinese restaurants or horseradish and help clear my sinuses. It's a blessing in disguise, really.

lightNlife

I have had a couple sinus surgeries and one cauterization. My sense of smell was diminished initially, but returned somewhat. Mostly it's my sense of taste that has been altered. I find I'm able to tolerate (tastebud wise) far stronger, spicier foods than before. It's actually sort of cool because then I can eat something like a teaspoon of that hot mustard at Chinese restaurants or horseradish and help clear my sinuses. It's a blessing in disguise, really.