shakey hands?

amber682

My son is 5 and seems to have slightly shakey hands when trying to do something like writing. His teacher mentioned it to me last year, I was thinking maybe the duoneb? But she also mentioned it could just be some muscle weakness in the hands, so we do things to strenghten them, like cutting with scissors, stringing beads, using tweezers, etc

This summer we've been doing a lot of practice sheets for upcoming Kindergarten, and I've noticed him getting frustrated and saying his hands are shaking and messing him up. But we normally do these practice sheets at like 2 pm, and he hasn't done medicine since like 10 am, so now I think it might not be the duoneb. And we usually do them after lunch, so I don't think its a shakey because he's hungry thing. (I get shakey if I get too hungry).

Any ideas? Or anyone have anything similar going on? I'll definately be sure to mention it at his clinic appt this September. Plus he just had his yearly blood test in July and nothing came back out of the ordinary.

amber682

My son is 5 and seems to have slightly shakey hands when trying to do something like writing. His teacher mentioned it to me last year, I was thinking maybe the duoneb? But she also mentioned it could just be some muscle weakness in the hands, so we do things to strenghten them, like cutting with scissors, stringing beads, using tweezers, etc

This summer we've been doing a lot of practice sheets for upcoming Kindergarten, and I've noticed him getting frustrated and saying his hands are shaking and messing him up. But we normally do these practice sheets at like 2 pm, and he hasn't done medicine since like 10 am, so now I think it might not be the duoneb. And we usually do them after lunch, so I don't think its a shakey because he's hungry thing. (I get shakey if I get too hungry).

Any ideas? Or anyone have anything similar going on? I'll definately be sure to mention it at his clinic appt this September. Plus he just had his yearly blood test in July and nothing came back out of the ordinary.

amber682

<br />
<br />This summer we've been doing a lot of practice sheets for upcoming Kindergarten, and I've noticed him getting frustrated and saying his hands are shaking and messing him up. But we normally do these practice sheets at like 2 pm, and he hasn't done medicine since like 10 am, so now I think it might not be the duoneb. And we usually do them after lunch, so I don't think its a shakey because he's hungry thing. (I get shakey if I get too hungry).
<br />
<br />Any ideas? Or anyone have anything similar going on? I'll definately be sure to mention it at his clinic appt this September. Plus he just had his yearly blood test in July and nothing came back out of the ordinary.
<br />
<br />

hmw

I would ask about him having an OT evaluation at school; if you are seeing it under specific circumstances (i.e. when he goes to do something with his hands) that sounds like it could be an intention tremor. That IS very commonly caused by medications but it can have a wide variety of other causes as well. An OT eval can be very helpful because there are strategies that can be used to help with writing, etc and they are more knowledgeable about the causes and how to help with these things than the classroom teachers.

(My dd is 9 and has been getting OT services at school since she was 3. We have been working the most on her handwriting the last few years. There is a great deal they can do to help kids with writing~ use of even very simple things like special pencil grips, etc can help with tremor to help stabilize the pencil and the child's grasp; they'll work with all types of coordination/small motor skills if there is an issue there. At any rate, even if your child doesn't need much, it's good to get the evaluation to find out, since he's at such a crucial age and you want his learning to be as free of as much frustration as possible.)

I'm glad his labs were OK~ toxic med levels (if he is on anything that requires levels to be drawn) can often cause a symptom like this. It seems you are already being very aware of time of day and how it correlates to hunger, inhaled meds, etc... keep that up to tell his dr about. If it's obvious enough to frustrate him when he tries to write that's indication to me it should not be brushed off without trying to figure it out.

hmw

I would ask about him having an OT evaluation at school; if you are seeing it under specific circumstances (i.e. when he goes to do something with his hands) that sounds like it could be an intention tremor. That IS very commonly caused by medications but it can have a wide variety of other causes as well. An OT eval can be very helpful because there are strategies that can be used to help with writing, etc and they are more knowledgeable about the causes and how to help with these things than the classroom teachers.

(My dd is 9 and has been getting OT services at school since she was 3. We have been working the most on her handwriting the last few years. There is a great deal they can do to help kids with writing~ use of even very simple things like special pencil grips, etc can help with tremor to help stabilize the pencil and the child's grasp; they'll work with all types of coordination/small motor skills if there is an issue there. At any rate, even if your child doesn't need much, it's good to get the evaluation to find out, since he's at such a crucial age and you want his learning to be as free of as much frustration as possible.)

I'm glad his labs were OK~ toxic med levels (if he is on anything that requires levels to be drawn) can often cause a symptom like this. It seems you are already being very aware of time of day and how it correlates to hunger, inhaled meds, etc... keep that up to tell his dr about. If it's obvious enough to frustrate him when he tries to write that's indication to me it should not be brushed off without trying to figure it out.

hmw

<br />
<br />(My dd is 9 and has been getting OT services at school since she was 3. We have been working the most on her handwriting the last few years. There is a great deal they can do to help kids with writing~ use of even very simple things like special pencil grips, etc can help with tremor to help stabilize the pencil and the child's grasp; they'll work with all types of coordination/small motor skills if there is an issue there. At any rate, even if your child doesn't need much, it's good to get the evaluation to find out, since he's at such a crucial age and you want his learning to be as free of as much frustration as possible.)
<br />
<br />I'm glad his labs were OK~ toxic med levels (if he is on anything that requires levels to be drawn) can often cause a symptom like this. It seems you are already being very aware of time of day and how it correlates to hunger, inhaled meds, etc... keep that up to tell his dr about. If it's obvious enough to frustrate him when he tries to write that's indication to me it should not be brushed off without trying to figure it out.
<br />

jpetersen

I've got super-strong hands, but they get shaky with low blood sugar or certain meds, so I wouldn't rule either of those out unless we're talking about 30 minutes after a meal to eliminate low blood sugar as a cause. I wouldn't worry about it if it isn't bothering him and the doctors don't see anything wrong. When you get older and have a lot of PICC lines, the nerves can get pinched and cause concern for neurological testing, but just see if everything is working right under other circumstances. Perhaps it is nervousness about writing in particular - see if the shaky hands appear doing other activities.

At this point, it could be as simple as a rescue inhaler or something like that.

jpetersen

I've got super-strong hands, but they get shaky with low blood sugar or certain meds, so I wouldn't rule either of those out unless we're talking about 30 minutes after a meal to eliminate low blood sugar as a cause. I wouldn't worry about it if it isn't bothering him and the doctors don't see anything wrong. When you get older and have a lot of PICC lines, the nerves can get pinched and cause concern for neurological testing, but just see if everything is working right under other circumstances. Perhaps it is nervousness about writing in particular - see if the shaky hands appear doing other activities.

At this point, it could be as simple as a rescue inhaler or something like that.

jpetersen

<br />
<br />At this point, it could be as simple as a rescue inhaler or something like that.

hockeykid

I personally get very shakey hands from Duo Neb. It was my understanding this medication was for patients 18 years old and up. I just checked my leaflet to be sure that is in my Duo Neb box. I would definately run this by your child's doctor.

hockeykid

I personally get very shakey hands from Duo Neb. It was my understanding this medication was for patients 18 years old and up. I just checked my leaflet to be sure that is in my Duo Neb box. I would definately run this by your child's doctor.

hockeykid