Short Gut

S

Swallowtail66

We did not know we were part of the Cf family until our children were 13 and 6. However, our youngest lost 2/3rsd of her small intestine at birth. The pregnancy was touch and go so we had a surgeon ready to go when she was just a few hours old. She had the ostomy and TPN. Her dad realized that we could manually take the food out of her ostomy bag and put in in the bottom end to continue the process. When the anastamosis was done, she pooped like a big girl. Her hospital now does the procedure with a pump. It probably contributed to her health big time. She could not process formula so I had to pump breast milk for her. I taught her to nurse a little when she was about 2 weeks old, but didn't really get to feed her until she was 4.5 months old. It was like nursing a vacuum cleaner! Breast milk has an intestinal growth hormone and I think it helped. The clinic tried to get us to agree to a G-tube, but we resisted. We tried periactin, added nutriants and calories wherever we could, and feed her as often as we could. I am so happy to say I have a 14 year old beauty who is 5 feet 1 in and 95 pounds.

S

Swallowtail66

We did not know we were part of the Cf family until our children were 13 and 6. However, our youngest lost 2/3rsd of her small intestine at birth. The pregnancy was touch and go so we had a surgeon ready to go when she was just a few hours old. She had the ostomy and TPN. Her dad realized that we could manually take the food out of her ostomy bag and put in in the bottom end to continue the process. When the anastamosis was done, she pooped like a big girl. Her hospital now does the procedure with a pump. It probably contributed to her health big time. She could not process formula so I had to pump breast milk for her. I taught her to nurse a little when she was about 2 weeks old, but didn't really get to feed her until she was 4.5 months old. It was like nursing a vacuum cleaner! Breast milk has an intestinal growth hormone and I think it helped. The clinic tried to get us to agree to a G-tube, but we resisted. We tried periactin, added nutriants and calories wherever we could, and feed her as often as we could. I am so happy to say I have a 14 year old beauty who is 5 feet 1 in and 95 pounds.