Should I accept 75 % lung function im my

cherishthree

newly diagnosed 11 year old son? Before diagnosis he was being treated by asthma and allergy for what they called SEVERE ASTHMA from Birth really to 10 years old!!. And we started to accept when they told us that he may never get over a 80% again for fev1. But now that we know it is actually Cystic Fibrosis and since there true diagnosis last month in the beging of May(They are both getting meds they need now polmozyme albuteral, vest treatments, etc,) his little sister Hannah also just diagnosed with Cf was hospitalized for a cf exacerbation for over 2 weeks for Iv treatment for Staph Aureus. They so far have only done one PFT on Chris since he has been at this clinic it was 80%( his highest ever!!). he has over 20 hospitlatins under his belt for asthma so you know that was all steroid treatments and allergy meds unneeded. When we go to clinic at the end of the month should I ask them to do a tune up on him before the school year sets in? They both are sopossed ( is that a word?) to have mild CF and we would like to keep it that way but this late in the game we feel way out in left feild with such misdirection any words of advice would be a MAJOR help. We have complete faith in our new care at ST. Christphers Hospital but would also like not to be unheard as far as there treament goes!! Would that seem bizarre for me to ask for them to give him a tune up ? Not saying they do not know their jobs but at this stage I want him to have 100% if that is ok? Thanks Kathy new here with Hannah just turned 7 with late diagnosis of Cf and Christopher 11 with late diagnosis of Cf

cherishthree

newly diagnosed 11 year old son? Before diagnosis he was being treated by asthma and allergy for what they called SEVERE ASTHMA from Birth really to 10 years old!!. And we started to accept when they told us that he may never get over a 80% again for fev1. But now that we know it is actually Cystic Fibrosis and since there true diagnosis last month in the beging of May(They are both getting meds they need now polmozyme albuteral, vest treatments, etc,) his little sister Hannah also just diagnosed with Cf was hospitalized for a cf exacerbation for over 2 weeks for Iv treatment for Staph Aureus. They so far have only done one PFT on Chris since he has been at this clinic it was 80%( his highest ever!!). he has over 20 hospitlatins under his belt for asthma so you know that was all steroid treatments and allergy meds unneeded. When we go to clinic at the end of the month should I ask them to do a tune up on him before the school year sets in? They both are sopossed ( is that a word?) to have mild CF and we would like to keep it that way but this late in the game we feel way out in left feild with such misdirection any words of advice would be a MAJOR help. We have complete faith in our new care at ST. Christphers Hospital but would also like not to be unheard as far as there treament goes!! Would that seem bizarre for me to ask for them to give him a tune up ? Not saying they do not know their jobs but at this stage I want him to have 100% if that is ok? Thanks Kathy new here with Hannah just turned 7 with late diagnosis of Cf and Christopher 11 with late diagnosis of Cf

cherishthree

cherishthree

cherishthree

cherishthree

blondelawyer

Yes, ask about a tune up. Talk to the CF doctors and tell them that you want to do what you can do raise his lung functions and keep them up. Tell the docs that you insist on being very proactive! That is the way to go with CF.

Good luck with everything!

blondelawyer

Yes, ask about a tune up. Talk to the CF doctors and tell them that you want to do what you can do raise his lung functions and keep them up. Tell the docs that you insist on being very proactive! That is the way to go with CF.

blondelawyer

blondelawyer

blondelawyer

blondelawyer

JazzysMom

Given the fact that he didnt get proper care for CF for so llong there is a good chance that his lungs are damaged pretty good.

That does not mean, however; that you shouldnt always push for things. Nothing is bizarre if YOU believe it will help. Is he culturing anything on a regular basis?

I would think a pre school clean out would be wise. It would help during the winter months etc.

You cant change it if he loses lunch function to do damage so now is your time to try and keep what he has!

JazzysMom

Given the fact that he didnt get proper care for CF for so llong there is a good chance that his lungs are damaged pretty good.

That does not mean, however; that you shouldnt always push for things. Nothing is bizarre if YOU believe it will help. Is he culturing anything on a regular basis?

I would think a pre school clean out would be wise. It would help during the winter months etc.

You cant change it if he loses lunch function to do damage so now is your time to try and keep what he has!

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

NoExcuses

I would shoot for higher.

You may not get higher, but you'll never know unless you try.

But I take an extremely aggressive, proactive approach to my CF care. Many others aren't as obsessive, if you will, as I am.

Check out this article. It might shed some light on how different CF Centers can be and what proactivity can do for your care.

FEV1 of 80% is just 5 points above "mild" CF. FEV1 74% turns into moderate. So although I'm not big on labels, etc., don't let "mild" fool you. Things can change in the blink of an eye if you're not on top of things. Even when you are on top of things CF can change in a blink of an eye.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2004/12/06/041206fa_fact">http://www.newyorker.com/archi...04/12/06/041206fa_fact</a>

NoExcuses

I would shoot for higher.

You may not get higher, but you'll never know unless you try.

But I take an extremely aggressive, proactive approach to my CF care. Many others aren't as obsessive, if you will, as I am.

Check out this article. It might shed some light on how different CF Centers can be and what proactivity can do for your care.

FEV1 of 80% is just 5 points above "mild" CF. FEV1 74% turns into moderate. So although I'm not big on labels, etc., don't let "mild" fool you. Things can change in the blink of an eye if you're not on top of things. Even when you are on top of things CF can change in a blink of an eye.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2004/12/06/041206fa_fact">http://www.newyorker.com/archi...04/12/06/041206fa_fact</a>