Should I ask for test

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
IMO, find a new doctor. I gave DS milk of mag a couple of times, as per the CF doctor's recommendation. The first time when he was 4 months old after an xray showed he had a LOT of stool in his colon and was already on enzymes.

You can look on the CFF.org site and find an accreditted CF clinic near you. You shouldn't be waiting and your current clinic is NOT taking this seriously.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
IMO, find a new doctor. I gave DS milk of mag a couple of times, as per the CF doctor's recommendation. The first time when he was 4 months old after an xray showed he had a LOT of stool in his colon and was already on enzymes.

You can look on the CFF.org site and find an accreditted CF clinic near you. You shouldn't be waiting and your current clinic is NOT taking this seriously.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />You can look on the CFF.org site and find an accreditted CF clinic near you. You shouldn't be waiting and your current clinic is NOT taking this seriously.

Alyssa

I agree ... don't wait out that month, he could be cleaned out and on enzymes in a matter of a few days .... be assertive ! (see isn't that a much better word than nuts)

Find the CFF clinic doctor and tell them his symptoms -- a blockage and orange greasy poop is a very classic symptom... with that description alone you should garner attention from a CF doctor or nurse....but be sure to mention all that you have told us -- that's a pretty good list.

Alyssa

I agree ... don't wait out that month, he could be cleaned out and on enzymes in a matter of a few days .... be assertive ! (see isn't that a much better word than nuts)

Find the CFF clinic doctor and tell them his symptoms -- a blockage and orange greasy poop is a very classic symptom... with that description alone you should garner attention from a CF doctor or nurse....but be sure to mention all that you have told us -- that's a pretty good list.

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

<br />
<br />Find the CFF clinic doctor and tell them his symptoms -- a blockage and orange greasy poop is a very classic symptom... with that description alone you should garner attention from a CF doctor or nurse....but be sure to mention all that you have told us -- that's a pretty good list.

S

sdelorenzo

Sandra.
go to:
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cff.org/LivingWithC...ccreditedCareCenters/">http://www.cff.org/LivingWithC...ccreditedCareCenters/</a>

and find the name of the closest cf center to you and what hospital it is in. Call you pediatrician and find the name of a few GI drs that they recommend. Find one who goes to that hospital that has the cf center. You can also ask friends if anyone knows of a good one, that is how I found my kid's GI doctor. Anyway, call the GI's office tomorrow and ask (politely demand) to speak to the GI's nurse. Then explain to the nurse that you are concerned that you baby might have cf and has not had a bowel movement for 2 weeks. Also tell them that your baby choked a few times last night when you gave him the suppository and that he has had greasy stools.

After my newborn wasn't gaining weight for her first month I called a GI dr and was told there was a 6 month waiting list. I broke down crying to them that my baby wasn't going to be alive in 6 months if she didn't gain weight. They made an appt for two days later. I have learned through other experiences that no one cares for your baby like you do, so you have to take things in your own hands sometimes if you think something is wrong and no one is listening. I still think that it would be a good idea to take the baby into the ER (at the hospital with the cf center). They can then run all the tests you need and get a GI dr to take a look at your son the same day.

Don't worry about being overprotective. The best outcome is that he is fine and there is nothing to worry about. But you don't know that until it can be proven otherwise.
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 6 and Jack, 4 both with cf

S

sdelorenzo

Sandra.
go to:
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cff.org/LivingWithC...ccreditedCareCenters/">http://www.cff.org/LivingWithC...ccreditedCareCenters/</a>

and find the name of the closest cf center to you and what hospital it is in. Call you pediatrician and find the name of a few GI drs that they recommend. Find one who goes to that hospital that has the cf center. You can also ask friends if anyone knows of a good one, that is how I found my kid's GI doctor. Anyway, call the GI's office tomorrow and ask (politely demand) to speak to the GI's nurse. Then explain to the nurse that you are concerned that you baby might have cf and has not had a bowel movement for 2 weeks. Also tell them that your baby choked a few times last night when you gave him the suppository and that he has had greasy stools.

After my newborn wasn't gaining weight for her first month I called a GI dr and was told there was a 6 month waiting list. I broke down crying to them that my baby wasn't going to be alive in 6 months if she didn't gain weight. They made an appt for two days later. I have learned through other experiences that no one cares for your baby like you do, so you have to take things in your own hands sometimes if you think something is wrong and no one is listening. I still think that it would be a good idea to take the baby into the ER (at the hospital with the cf center). They can then run all the tests you need and get a GI dr to take a look at your son the same day.

Don't worry about being overprotective. The best outcome is that he is fine and there is nothing to worry about. But you don't know that until it can be proven otherwise.

S

sdelorenzo

Sandra.
go to:

S

sdelorenzo

Sandra.
go to:

S

sdelorenzo

Sandra.
<br />go to:
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cff.org/LivingWithC...ccreditedCareCenters/">http://www.cff.org/LivingWithC...ccreditedCareCenters/</a>
<br />
<br />and find the name of the closest cf center to you and what hospital it is in. Call you pediatrician and find the name of a few GI drs that they recommend. Find one who goes to that hospital that has the cf center. You can also ask friends if anyone knows of a good one, that is how I found my kid's GI doctor. Anyway, call the GI's office tomorrow and ask (politely demand) to speak to the GI's nurse. Then explain to the nurse that you are concerned that you baby might have cf and has not had a bowel movement for 2 weeks. Also tell them that your baby choked a few times last night when you gave him the suppository and that he has had greasy stools.
<br />
<br />After my newborn wasn't gaining weight for her first month I called a GI dr and was told there was a 6 month waiting list. I broke down crying to them that my baby wasn't going to be alive in 6 months if she didn't gain weight. They made an appt for two days later. I have learned through other experiences that no one cares for your baby like you do, so you have to take things in your own hands sometimes if you think something is wrong and no one is listening. I still think that it would be a good idea to take the baby into the ER (at the hospital with the cf center). They can then run all the tests you need and get a GI dr to take a look at your son the same day.
<br />
<br />Don't worry about being overprotective. The best outcome is that he is fine and there is nothing to worry about. But you don't know that until it can be proven otherwise.
<br />Sharon, mom of Sophia, 6 and Jack, 4 both with cf

meaniejean

I can't thank you all enough for your support. I just called the ped and requested a call back from him. When he calls I am going to be ASSERTIVE (yes, I do like that word much better than nuts!).
DS2 did not pee at all last night - 13 hours and a completely dry diaper - seems strange for a 4 month old.
He hasn't pooped any more since yesterday afternoon and I'm still not convinced he got out 2 weeks worth.

I looked at my prenatal paperwork and it seems that I was screened for CF - after some reading on this site I see that doesn't really mean much, but doesn't it make it a lot less likely this is CF?

Hoping to get some answers soon ...

Thanks again to you all.
Sandra

meaniejean

I can't thank you all enough for your support. I just called the ped and requested a call back from him. When he calls I am going to be ASSERTIVE (yes, I do like that word much better than nuts!).
DS2 did not pee at all last night - 13 hours and a completely dry diaper - seems strange for a 4 month old.
He hasn't pooped any more since yesterday afternoon and I'm still not convinced he got out 2 weeks worth.

I looked at my prenatal paperwork and it seems that I was screened for CF - after some reading on this site I see that doesn't really mean much, but doesn't it make it a lot less likely this is CF?

Thanks again to you all.
Sandra

meaniejean

Thanks again to you all.
Sandra

meaniejean

Thanks again to you all.
Sandra

meaniejean

<br />DS2 did not pee at all last night - 13 hours and a completely dry diaper - seems strange for a 4 month old.
<br />He hasn't pooped any more since yesterday afternoon and I'm still not convinced he got out 2 weeks worth.
<br />
<br />I looked at my prenatal paperwork and it seems that I was screened for CF - after some reading on this site I see that doesn't really mean much, but doesn't it make it a lot less likely this is CF?
<br />
<br />Hoping to get some answers soon ...
<br />
<br />Thanks again to you all.
<br />Sandra