Should I get tested for CF?

A

Allansarmy

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>joshannon</b></i> I have these symptoms too - anemia not caused from not enough iron, and also low vitamin D even though I doubled my dose to 2000IU a day, and I live in one of sunniest countries in the world, along with the other symptoms. I have had sudden onset of IBS-D symptoms - that have not abated for 3 weeks. Am now on CF medication - but have not tested for CF. I'd probably test positive for the wrong reasons - malnutrition, due to chronic IBS-D like symptoms. However if drugs work then (maybe). Didn't think you could be DXed later in life (@50?)</end quote>

There are more and more people that get diagnosed after the age of 40 then you might think. I am a parent of a CF boy age 15 (found out he had CF when he was 4 months). My wife's sister had CF as well. To be honest, all of your symptoms will not necessarily make you positive to CF for the wrong reasons. Usuallly you either have it or you don't. Now ther are different mutation types of testing, but I would test via the sweat test first as its probably cheaper through insurance and a doctor can order this type of testing easily. Its a good indicator if you have CF, if you do, you need to get your blood tested for which kind of mutation you have.