Should I push for Genetic testing? Or is it all in my head.

Alyssa

You have received some excellent advise so far -- so to that I say "ditto" about the sweat test numbers and genetic testing.

About it all being in your head -- that is a very inaccurate statement from your husband.... the symptoms you describe are all serious medical events... you could not be making them up.

Keep pushing forward and don't give up until you get the answers and treatment you need for you son.

As terrible as getting a CF diagnosis is, I too saw and improvement in my daughters health after diagnosis because we finally knew what we were dealing with and got the correct treatments when something was wrong and got the benefit of maintenance treatments every day. Had we not know our son also had both genes we would not have sought the correct treatments when he started showing symptoms at age 21. His health improved after starting treatments as well.

Another heads up about the sweat test -- be sure to ask them when they will have the results available to you and be sure to ask what the specific number is -- do not let them just tell you negative or positive -- actually positive is fine, since that is always accurate...it's the negative and borderline areas that cause so much confusion about accuracy -- negative does not always mean no CF.

If you have time read the first entry of my blog page for details about my kids and there "normal" sweat test results....normal numbers are very common, it's just most doctors don't realize how often it happens.

Alyssa

You have received some excellent advise so far -- so to that I say "ditto" about the sweat test numbers and genetic testing.

About it all being in your head -- that is a very inaccurate statement from your husband.... the symptoms you describe are all serious medical events... you could not be making them up.

Keep pushing forward and don't give up until you get the answers and treatment you need for you son.

As terrible as getting a CF diagnosis is, I too saw and improvement in my daughters health after diagnosis because we finally knew what we were dealing with and got the correct treatments when something was wrong and got the benefit of maintenance treatments every day. Had we not know our son also had both genes we would not have sought the correct treatments when he started showing symptoms at age 21. His health improved after starting treatments as well.

Another heads up about the sweat test -- be sure to ask them when they will have the results available to you and be sure to ask what the specific number is -- do not let them just tell you negative or positive -- actually positive is fine, since that is always accurate...it's the negative and borderline areas that cause so much confusion about accuracy -- negative does not always mean no CF.

If you have time read the first entry of my blog page for details about my kids and there "normal" sweat test results....normal numbers are very common, it's just most doctors don't realize how often it happens.

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa