Sinus Cultures...

jleigh

When is it that a sinus culture would be warranted? My sinuses always bother me...stuffed up nasal passages, running like a sieve, painful, pressure, etc, but I have never had a sinus culture done. Is this at all important? Also, do you all tend to give a sputum sample at each of your clinic visits, and if so, do you request it or does your physician? Normally, they don't tend to ask me for a sample, I tell them that I want to give one. I mean honestly, that seems odd that they would not request it...I mean regardless of whether you're feeling well at the time, you never know what my be brewing in there!!Thanks,Jen 34 w/cf

kybert

usually the same bugs that are in your sputum cultures will show up in your sinus cultures. have you seen and ENT about your nose? they can do some ct scans etc and decide the best treatment for it.

anonymous

I think a sinus culture is very important if you are to go on antibiotics. My doc finally did a culture after trying 4 different oral antibiotics on a sinus infection. Found out the bacteria was pseudomonas....so had to go on IVS...if they had done the culture at the beginning...I wouldnt have had to suffer the time I did. I would start seeing an ENT doc if I were you. I've been seeing one now for about 4 yrs. Good luck!Dea