Sinus Infections - a New Development

rosesixtyfive

Hello, everyone, My 3 year old has had sinus infections since December and recurring ear infections. This is a new development for us. He has had colds before but never lingering infections. He recently had an x-ray and it showed sinusitis. We bought a Neti-pot, but the idea of it terrifies him and I'm not sure if we could get him to use it. However, he is miserable and not very good at blowing his nose. I am hoping for any advice anyone has on how to clear out his nose? What are some good foods to eat? Or ways to help him blow his nose? Or ways to help him use the Neti-pot? What can I do to help him get that mucus out of his head before it goes any further? Thank you! Rosesixtyfive, mother of Sam, 3 years, ddf508

I have show my - then 4 year old - Asia - movies, I did myself before her. I bribed her and did everything to make her try and do it. After a few tomes she said its not so bad :D and now we do it regulary 3 times a day. we use sinuse rinse - at the moment.
Any food which will make muscuc less thick and spices. Chicken soup, lots of warm drinks, pepper, garlic and onions. But at this point you may have to do antibiotics. We just went out of such a long term sinus infection - it returned once - and we all had. However Asia got antibiotics as the infection spread to eyes and ears.
make sure the fizjological salt is body temperature and that the child breathes trough the mouth. My Asia breathes very fast - but it works .
good luck

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
I fully get terror over sinus rinsing, I was 40 when it was suggested for me. That would be 1990 and sinus rinsing was back in style. My doctor ordered a Water Pik attachment that has a soft rubber cone on the end, specific for sinus rinsing. The Water Pik was filled with warm saline solution and the cone sealed against one nostril to begin. When the unit is turned on the nose fills up through the sinuses and drains out the other nostril. Warm saline doesn't burn, test it on yourself to determine what feels best. Most of have gotten some rude liquids up the snoot. Plain water burns because it is non saline, pool water has chlorine and of course the unforgettable upchuck through the nose. By 3 we know what the nose knows and mostly it's tender. Nasal irrigation for me puts water at at 110 degrees F and a 5% saline and it is fairly comfy cleansing. As for adding terpenoids or astringents to the mix I would try every nasal concoction myself before asking my kid to try it. Some of the best additives give new meaning to idea of promoting mucus production, something I am not convinced is best in treating CF congestion.

The best advantages I see with the Water Pik attachment are focused on the user ease. He/she can best hold the attachment and place it on a nostril. It has a moderate flow rate which won't rush the sinuses like a pot. Also as a way of stopping and instantly draining the rinse all a person need do is move the attachment from contact with the nose. Nasal irrigation is very helpful and the least harmful. It might be too soon for it but it will become more attractive in the near future. It's a thought.

LL

schmj4910

We use the Waterpik Sinusense Water Pulsator for our 3 1/2 year old son. We've been using this kind since he was 2. We pretend it is a rocket ship and say, "3..2..1..Blast off". He likes that. We use 0.9% Sodium Chloride because we can get our insurance to pay for it, but we've also used the packets. You do need to use sterile water when mixing with the packets. So the sodium chloride is easier for us. We've tried the nettie pot and he hated it. It feels like you are drowning.

The Waterpik Sinusense Water Pulsator is relatively cheap ($19.97 at Walmart), but it doesn't last long. It cracks and leaks. But, since we started using it we've cut way down on the sinus infections! Only one this winter season. It's nice because when they are clogged up, you can blast it out, every hour, if you want. When "healthy", we use it twice a day, right before nebs and vest. When "sick", we do it at least 4 times a day to help him breathe better.

I sanitize it by washing it in hot, soapy water, then running alcohol through it, then running sterile water (previously boiled water) through it. I do this every other day. I change the rubber nostril after each use and boil that with his nebs. It's a process, but worth it. Soon, it just becomes part of your routine.

Here's their website with a nice instructional video...

http://www.waterpik.com/sinus-health/products/water-pulsator

sinuse rinse can be sterilized in the microwave - but like the one mentioned above - it needs replacemnet after 3 month or about.
We have different products in EU - but the idea and problems ar the same.
I wash it in soapy water and sterilize in microwave or put under boiling water and rince - they dont last sterilizing in steam :(
I think it's a great idea and when Asia started school this automn - we do it regulary - before nebs in the morning and after school before pulmozyme. If she has and infection - we do it more often.
But I think you need to do it on yourself first - to get the feeling of how to do it as gently as possible.

JENNYC

I am so sorry you are going through this!! While I love and cannot live without the sinus rinse....I want to caution you as to how often you use it. Since you are putting saline (salt) up your nose it can become irritated and dry your sinus' too much causing bleeding. I know because when Abby got real sick I started using it 3 and 4 times a day because she needed it and I called her ENT and told her about how much blood I was getting and she told me that I should not use it more than twice a day because I could cause more problems than the drainage that was up in there. Now Abby was one of those lucky little girls that we had to remove her polyps every 3 months and sooner for about 2 years until we got it under control. We didn't give her an option at the time of starting her sinus rinses at 3 yr old. We did not use the Neti pot just the sinus rinse and before we knew it she has mastered singing and dancing while doing one! At first she hated it but then she got to the point where she will ask me for one when she can't breathe through her nose. Here's our regimen (she has not had to have another sinus surgery for 2 years now, which is huge):

1. sinus rinses twice a day or sometimes once if she is doing really well(has made such a HUGE difference)
2. added nasal steroid mist once a day
3. got a whole house HEPA filtration system
4. took prednisone before and after sinus surgeries (before to help control bleeding during surgery, after to control the swelling afterwards that causes more polyps)

This regimen is not for everyone but if it gets bad talk to your ENT about it. Abby had 15 surgeries in a 2.5 year span and now we haven't had one for 2 years!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We didn't use a neti pot, but the squirt bottle. When DS was 4 he was so stuffed up that I convinced him to try it. Had him lean over the sink, keep his mouth open and chanted breathe thru your nose while we did the rinse. Was the most disgusting thing I'd ever seen, the amount of mucus that came out of that kid's head.

kitomd21

We use the NeilMed bottle (http://www.neilmed.com/usa/sinusrinse_isotonic.php). We chose this method of flushing because it's easy and the bottle can be sterlized. I have concerns about the Waterpik being adequately cleaned between uses...but I may be wrong. DD's RT suggested sinus rinses (she was 4 at the time...now close to 5) but we have yet to see anything "gross" come out. Her nose flushes fine...some resistance...but overall, boring. Hope that's a good sign. :) I know it can be easier said than done, but she doesn't have a choice when it comes to flushing....we've been fortunate that she cooperates. We boil the water for 10 mins then let it cool (duh!) before using...