Sinus rinse

Kendra

My husband and I both use Sinus rinse, but have heard of hypertonic rinse that is available. What is it and is it better for Cfers.
Neilmed.com has many different types of sinus rinse agents and wondering what would be best.
My husband has had one sinus surgery a year ago and has pseudonymous and MRSA.
thanks

Kendra

My husband and I both use Sinus rinse, but have heard of hypertonic rinse that is available. What is it and is it better for Cfers.
Neilmed.com has many different types of sinus rinse agents and wondering what would be best.
My husband has had one sinus surgery a year ago and has pseudonymous and MRSA.
thanks

Kendra

<br />Neilmed.com has many different types of sinus rinse agents and wondering what would be best.
<br />My husband has had one sinus surgery a year ago and has pseudonymous and MRSA.
<br />thanks

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS uses Ayr brand, only because they had more salt packets in the kit when we bought initially. I've used the Neil Med and I believe they have a recipe for the hypertonic -- basically add 2-3 more packets of salt. IMO, BURNS LIKE HECK! I tried it once when I was really, really stuffed up.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS uses Ayr brand, only because they had more salt packets in the kit when we bought initially. I've used the Neil Med and I believe they have a recipe for the hypertonic -- basically add 2-3 more packets of salt. IMO, BURNS LIKE HECK! I tried it once when I was really, really stuffed up.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

hmw

We have used the Ayr and the Neilmed rinses. We tend to use the Ayr refills as well because you get so many more packets for the same price. I think one packet will give you a 3% saline, so adding an extra 1-2 packets will give you a hypertonic rinse.

hmw

We have used the Ayr and the Neilmed rinses. We tend to use the Ayr refills as well because you get so many more packets for the same price. I think one packet will give you a 3% saline, so adding an extra 1-2 packets will give you a hypertonic rinse.

hmw

mamerth

I use the Neilmed packs (when my doc gives me a new bottle). Normally I mix up my own solution of salt and baking soda. That is what my ENT started me on many, many years ago.

mamerth

I use the Neilmed packs (when my doc gives me a new bottle). Normally I mix up my own solution of salt and baking soda. That is what my ENT started me on many, many years ago.

mamerth

Havoc

Simply Saline brand has a hypertonic saline these days. It's expensive compared to some of the other brands or making it yourself, but I love having a self-contained aerosol can that doesn't require mixing or cleaning/sterilizing. The isotonic mix is a little less expensive, often I'll get both and do one hypertonic a day and fill in the rest with isotonic.

Havoc

Simply Saline brand has a hypertonic saline these days. It's expensive compared to some of the other brands or making it yourself, but I love having a self-contained aerosol can that doesn't require mixing or cleaning/sterilizing. The isotonic mix is a little less expensive, often I'll get both and do one hypertonic a day and fill in the rest with isotonic.

Havoc

tesorotiffa

I use Neilmed regular or hypertonic saline packets. Depends on my mood... lol. If you only have regular packets, you make it hypertonic by using 2 for 8 oz. of water rather than 1. My doc recommended using the hypertonic, but I don't always do it because I do nose rinses more than I do any other kind of meds ... and I'd pretty much be working just so I could buy Neilmed packets!
In regards to a comment made above, I have never noticed any burning (but that's just me!). I also bought the 16 oz. Neilmed bottle off of the website last month, and I find that doing 16 oz. with 4 regular packets (essentially making it hypertonic) first thing in the morning keeps everything cleared up most of the day.

tesorotiffa

I use Neilmed regular or hypertonic saline packets. Depends on my mood... lol. If you only have regular packets, you make it hypertonic by using 2 for 8 oz. of water rather than 1. My doc recommended using the hypertonic, but I don't always do it because I do nose rinses more than I do any other kind of meds ... and I'd pretty much be working just so I could buy Neilmed packets!
In regards to a comment made above, I have never noticed any burning (but that's just me!). I also bought the 16 oz. Neilmed bottle off of the website last month, and I find that doing 16 oz. with 4 regular packets (essentially making it hypertonic) first thing in the morning keeps everything cleared up most of the day.

tesorotiffa

<br />In regards to a comment made above, I have never noticed any burning (but that's just me!). I also bought the 16 oz. Neilmed bottle off of the website last month, and I find that doing 16 oz. with 4 regular packets (essentially making it hypertonic) first thing in the morning keeps everything cleared up most of the day.

Liza

You can also make your own. I have posted the recipe on here in past posts. I am not at home so I don't have it to repost. I'll look in the archives and see if I can link it.

Liza

You can also make your own. I have posted the recipe on here in past posts. I am not at home so I don't have it to repost. I'll look in the archives and see if I can link it.