Sinus rinse

Liza

You can also make your own. I have posted the recipe on here in past posts. I am not at home so I don't have it to repost. I'll look in the archives and see if I can link it.

Liza

Took me a while but I found it. My oops, it was my husband who posted the recpe for me, coincidentally, I as in CA at the time. Which is where I am now.

Saline for Sinus irrigation:
1 quart distilled H2O...
1 tsp baking soda- buffers the solution
2 tsp noniodized salt- canning, pickling, sea salt are noniodized.

Mix in a nonbreakable tupperware type container. This should last a few days.

You can use a bulb syringe or a one of many types of irrigators available at the drug store. Water pik makes an attachment that you can also use. If you use a bulb syringe make sure you replace it every few weeks.

Pour about 4 ounces in a cup and then transfer to the syringe, don't stick your syringe into the quart jug. You can tilt your head forward or backward or keep it straight when you squirt the solution into one nostril. Don't try to "suck it in", this will open your vocal cords and may cause you to aspirate (choke). This is really very beneficial for those that have had sinus surgery (FESS). For those with allergies but without surgery it will still help keep the sinus passages somewhat clear of mucus and clean the nasal mucus membranes of allergens to some extent.

Liza

Took me a while but I found it. My oops, it was my husband who posted the recpe for me, coincidentally, I as in CA at the time. Which is where I am now.

Saline for Sinus irrigation:
1 quart distilled H2O...
1 tsp baking soda- buffers the solution
2 tsp noniodized salt- canning, pickling, sea salt are noniodized.

Mix in a nonbreakable tupperware type container. This should last a few days.

You can use a bulb syringe or a one of many types of irrigators available at the drug store. Water pik makes an attachment that you can also use. If you use a bulb syringe make sure you replace it every few weeks.

Pour about 4 ounces in a cup and then transfer to the syringe, don't stick your syringe into the quart jug. You can tilt your head forward or backward or keep it straight when you squirt the solution into one nostril. Don't try to "suck it in", this will open your vocal cords and may cause you to aspirate (choke). This is really very beneficial for those that have had sinus surgery (FESS). For those with allergies but without surgery it will still help keep the sinus passages somewhat clear of mucus and clean the nasal mucus membranes of allergens to some extent.

Liza

<br />
<br />
<br />Saline for Sinus irrigation:
<br />1 quart distilled H2O...
<br />1 tsp baking soda- buffers the solution
<br />2 tsp noniodized salt- canning, pickling, sea salt are noniodized.
<br />
<br />Mix in a nonbreakable tupperware type container. This should last a few days.
<br />
<br />You can use a bulb syringe or a one of many types of irrigators available at the drug store. Water pik makes an attachment that you can also use. If you use a bulb syringe make sure you replace it every few weeks.
<br />
<br />Pour about 4 ounces in a cup and then transfer to the syringe, don't stick your syringe into the quart jug. You can tilt your head forward or backward or keep it straight when you squirt the solution into one nostril. Don't try to "suck it in", this will open your vocal cords and may cause you to aspirate (choke). This is really very beneficial for those that have had sinus surgery (FESS). For those with allergies but without surgery it will still help keep the sinus passages somewhat clear of mucus and clean the nasal mucus membranes of allergens to some extent.

M

Mikeinfla

Don't use the baking soda out of the fridge!! I seal my baking soda in a zip loc as soon as I get it. To keep anything out of it and tranfer it to a small diabetes test strip bottle for keeping just enough in the bathroom neti kit. I keep it all in a tupperware container. Sanitize and dry the pot and put it back.
I had a neti pot that was growing a film on it between uses from moisture and crap settling on it on the sink! I started sanitizing it before and after uses but never felt it got clean and that is alot more work. If you get a bad infection think about replacing your bottle/pot
Baking soda is also awesome for indigestion/ heartburn! Two minutes after swallowing it you will burp and there will be no more pain!

M

Mikeinfla

Don't use the baking soda out of the fridge!! I seal my baking soda in a zip loc as soon as I get it. To keep anything out of it and tranfer it to a small diabetes test strip bottle for keeping just enough in the bathroom neti kit. I keep it all in a tupperware container. Sanitize and dry the pot and put it back.
I had a neti pot that was growing a film on it between uses from moisture and crap settling on it on the sink! I started sanitizing it before and after uses but never felt it got clean and that is alot more work. If you get a bad infection think about replacing your bottle/pot
Baking soda is also awesome for indigestion/ heartburn! Two minutes after swallowing it you will burp and there will be no more pain!

M

Mikeinfla

<br /> I had a neti pot that was growing a film on it between uses from moisture and crap settling on it on the sink! I started sanitizing it before and after uses but never felt it got clean and that is alot more work. If you get a bad infection think about replacing your bottle/pot
<br /> Baking soda is also awesome for indigestion/ heartburn! Two minutes after swallowing it you will burp and there will be no more pain!