Sinus surgery aftercare?

joetrivium

I am having my first sinus surgery on Monday. If you have had that surgery or cared for someone who has, could you please share what the aftercare amounted to? I am not too worried, but my wife is squeamish, and is wondering whether we might need someone else to assist.

52-yr-old, male

Joe

keefer11

The worst part of sinus surgery for me was right when I got out of surgery, I was so drugged and I was vomiting blood that was dripping down from my sinuses. People say you won't be hungry as soon as you get out of surgery, but I was starving. Thankfully, my boyfriend brought me a milkshake, I recommend your wife bringing one, too. It tasted amazing and filled me up. OF course have someone drive you home. I was really out of it and so having more than one person to walk me to the car and get me out of the car was helpful, but not necessary.
The first 24 hours post-surgery is when you need the most care and to have someone there to watch you to make sure you don't start bleeding too much and to help you with basic needs. I didn't feel like moving and was scared to move my head around too much, so my sister's job was to just switch my gauze, and bring me water and food. She also helped walk me to the bathroom. You pretty much need to sleep upright otherwise blood and mucus will drip down into your lungs. After the first 24 hours I don't think I had constant care. I just slept the whole time because of the pain meds. After 2-3 days I stopped taking the pain meds and felt a lot better. I think the pain meds were making me feel worse than I was really feeling, so the earlier you stop taking them, the better.
The aftercare wasn't too bad, I don't think your wife will need someone else to assist unless she needs to leave the house in the first 24 hours.
Good luck! My sinsuses felt great after the surgery(especially when they took the gauze out from my nose).

kmhbeauty

I have had 9 nasal surgeries on polyps. The first one when I was 14 was a little rough because I threw up blood also. If your nose is full of polyps, like mine was, your under longer so your feel a little more sick when you get out. I have had surgeries that I was completely fine and went back to work the next day. I have never needed pain medicine after surgery. I also have never needed anyone to take care of me except the first time at 14 and my mother demanded I spend the night in the hospital. I just go home and sleep it off. Its a really easy surgery, the worst part is waking up and being annoyed in the recovery room. I get really pissy when I wake up and then I slowly get better with food and sleep.

Simba15

It depends on what you are having done. I had extensive 3.5 hour surgery. EXCELLENT surgeon! Worst part was post nasal drip that made me cough after surgery. You aren't allowed to cough so I was taken to the drug store for cough meds. I had NO problems. I was home alone and was fine.The worst part is the bloddiness after they take out the packing. You must follow directions 100% I had no pain. either. I think the surgeon makes or breaks this surgery.
I am having my first sinus surgery on Monday. If you have had that surgery or cared for someone who has, could you please share what the aftercare amounted to? I am not too worried, but my wife is squeamish, and is wondering whether we might need someone else to assist.

52-yr-old, male

Joe

C

cprgirl

Don't worry

52-yr-old, male

Joe
my 20 y.o son had his first sinus surgery last month. It was a 3 hour "clean out" , his sinuses were totally filled with mucus. He did awesome! In the PACU he was tired and sleeping, but no pain. They kept him overnight just as a precaution, and by the time he got to his room 3 hrs later he was wide awake and hungry! He required no pain meds at all. When he got home he was fine, no bleeding or anything. He started the sinus rinses again about the 2nd or 3rd day, which can be gross with the blood clots that come out but this is something you can do on your own without your wife's assistance. I think your wife will be fine (lol) there really shouldn't be anything she needs to do except make sure you take it easy!

LeftY

can someone (please) tell me what is procedure of sinus surgery?
i was told by my doctor that i need it, and since i wasnt been on any surgery im little scared about going...

p.s. sorry for ot

Tom

J

jamest

When I had sinus surgery, it was a total breeze, no pain at any point. Mine wasn't just a clean out, though, I also had additional openings drilled into my maxillary sinuses. I vomited blood and had a lot in my sputum afterwards, but that was easy to take care of.

The ENT doc should tell you exactly how to care for the sinuses after surgery - for me, it was waiting a week before doing saline flushes again. I would say that regularly flushing the sinuses is absolutely necessary, otherwise you will relapse.

C

cprgirl

Also...

Yes, forgot to add , my son also had the sinus openings enlarged for better drainage.