Sinus surgery

krisgabes

Hello all,

I will probably have to have sinus surgery sometime soon. I went for a CT scan yesterday and my sinuses are terrible. They have gotten much worse since 2 years ago (my last study). I just wanted to know what the surgery is like, recovery time, anything to expect, bruising, etc.?

Thank you so much for your help!

krisgabes

Hello all,

I will probably have to have sinus surgery sometime soon. I went for a CT scan yesterday and my sinuses are terrible. They have gotten much worse since 2 years ago (my last study). I just wanted to know what the surgery is like, recovery time, anything to expect, bruising, etc.?

Thank you so much for your help!

krisgabes

Hello all,
<br />
<br />I will probably have to have sinus surgery sometime soon. I went for a CT scan yesterday and my sinuses are terrible. They have gotten much worse since 2 years ago (my last study). I just wanted to know what the surgery is like, recovery time, anything to expect, bruising, etc.?
<br />
<br />Thank you so much for your help!

Havoc

It varies. Typically right out of anesthesia I have a good amount of pain. I got Dilaudid until it was managed. I want home with a *mustache bandage* which is just some gauze taped under your nose to catch any blood. Recovery from an endoscopy procedure is extremely quick, even one with a lot of work being done. I do think I got a bit of a black eye with the one procedure, and your eyes my be a little puffy. You'll also probably have some packing left in for 3 days or so, it's unpleasant. My 2nd surgery I had on a Friday and went back to work on Monday.

My doc is also a big believer in pain management. I think I got sent home with 90 Percocet 7.5/125. That makes a difference, especially if you stay on top of pain. Some people I know don't want to take a narcotic pain drug in fear of becoming dependent, actually it take less medicine to kill the pain early in the game rather when you are lying in bed in ungodly pain. So you're better off taking that one, rather than 3 when you have really ad pain.

I hope this helps, if you have any other questions feel free to IM me.

Havoc

It varies. Typically right out of anesthesia I have a good amount of pain. I got Dilaudid until it was managed. I want home with a *mustache bandage* which is just some gauze taped under your nose to catch any blood. Recovery from an endoscopy procedure is extremely quick, even one with a lot of work being done. I do think I got a bit of a black eye with the one procedure, and your eyes my be a little puffy. You'll also probably have some packing left in for 3 days or so, it's unpleasant. My 2nd surgery I had on a Friday and went back to work on Monday.

My doc is also a big believer in pain management. I think I got sent home with 90 Percocet 7.5/125. That makes a difference, especially if you stay on top of pain. Some people I know don't want to take a narcotic pain drug in fear of becoming dependent, actually it take less medicine to kill the pain early in the game rather when you are lying in bed in ungodly pain. So you're better off taking that one, rather than 3 when you have really ad pain.

I hope this helps, if you have any other questions feel free to IM me.

Havoc

<br />
<br />My doc is also a big believer in pain management. I think I got sent home with 90 Percocet 7.5/125. That makes a difference, especially if you stay on top of pain. Some people I know don't want to take a narcotic pain drug in fear of becoming dependent, actually it take less medicine to kill the pain early in the game rather when you are lying in bed in ungodly pain. So you're better off taking that one, rather than 3 when you have really ad pain.
<br />
<br />
<br />I hope this helps, if you have any other questions feel free to IM me.

kmaried

Hey Kristen,

I had endoscopic sinus surgery. There was no bruising - prolly a little swelling, and they did not pack my sinuses. Some Dr's believe in packing; others don't.

Let's see... I actually started IV antibiotics a few weeks before the surgery. Sinus surgery is basically a bacterial shower for your lungs... sure, they suck stuff out as best they can, but while they're cleaning stuff out, a lot of stuff winds up draining down into your lungs. I was also put on prednisone a few days before to help with the swelling. I really didn't have too much pain and only took extra strength tylenol. i have never had anesthesia before though; and had a huge nausea problem w/ that.

I took a full two weeks off of work (while I did the IV abx) and was glad I did. Being home also allowed me to do sinus rinses multiple times a day which kept my nose hydrated and helped healing (also made the post-surgical visits much more pleasant!!).

Kris
28w/cf

kmaried

Hey Kristen,

I had endoscopic sinus surgery. There was no bruising - prolly a little swelling, and they did not pack my sinuses. Some Dr's believe in packing; others don't.

Let's see... I actually started IV antibiotics a few weeks before the surgery. Sinus surgery is basically a bacterial shower for your lungs... sure, they suck stuff out as best they can, but while they're cleaning stuff out, a lot of stuff winds up draining down into your lungs. I was also put on prednisone a few days before to help with the swelling. I really didn't have too much pain and only took extra strength tylenol. i have never had anesthesia before though; and had a huge nausea problem w/ that.

I took a full two weeks off of work (while I did the IV abx) and was glad I did. Being home also allowed me to do sinus rinses multiple times a day which kept my nose hydrated and helped healing (also made the post-surgical visits much more pleasant!!).

Kris
28w/cf

kmaried

Hey Kristen,
<br />
<br />I had endoscopic sinus surgery. There was no bruising - prolly a little swelling, and they did not pack my sinuses. Some Dr's believe in packing; others don't.
<br />
<br />Let's see... I actually started IV antibiotics a few weeks before the surgery. Sinus surgery is basically a bacterial shower for your lungs... sure, they suck stuff out as best they can, but while they're cleaning stuff out, a lot of stuff winds up draining down into your lungs. I was also put on prednisone a few days before to help with the swelling. I really didn't have too much pain and only took extra strength tylenol. i have never had anesthesia before though; and had a huge nausea problem w/ that.
<br />
<br />I took a full two weeks off of work (while I did the IV abx) and was glad I did. Being home also allowed me to do sinus rinses multiple times a day which kept my nose hydrated and helped healing (also made the post-surgical visits much more pleasant!!).
<br />
<br />Kris
<br />28w/cf

Spartan936

I've had about 12 sinus surgeries. They are worth it, but only if you do the proper follow-up care. Make sure you irrigate your sinuses with hypertonic saline at least twice per day after you recover. If you don't, you're probably asking for another surgery. I use the 8 ounce neil med bottles, and add up to a tablespoon of salt, and a half tablespoon of baking soda. As for the surgery, it really isn't that bad. Some pain. Sometimes packing that they take out a few days later. The worst part is the sick feeling from the anesthesia. But really, I had so many surgeries in the past that they became kind of a walk in the park. On the last one I only needed pain meds on the first day. Everyone's different. My sinuses were far worse than anyone I'd ever met. But they're great now because I irrigate them diligently.

Spartan936

I've had about 12 sinus surgeries. They are worth it, but only if you do the proper follow-up care. Make sure you irrigate your sinuses with hypertonic saline at least twice per day after you recover. If you don't, you're probably asking for another surgery. I use the 8 ounce neil med bottles, and add up to a tablespoon of salt, and a half tablespoon of baking soda. As for the surgery, it really isn't that bad. Some pain. Sometimes packing that they take out a few days later. The worst part is the sick feeling from the anesthesia. But really, I had so many surgeries in the past that they became kind of a walk in the park. On the last one I only needed pain meds on the first day. Everyone's different. My sinuses were far worse than anyone I'd ever met. But they're great now because I irrigate them diligently.

Spartan936

hockeykid

I have had 5 sinus surgeries. I found the worse part to be the packing. My pain was controlled with Tylenol with Codiene all five times. Like others said, it will be important to irrigate your sinuses twice daily to promote healing.

hockeykid

I have had 5 sinus surgeries. I found the worse part to be the packing. My pain was controlled with Tylenol with Codiene all five times. Like others said, it will be important to irrigate your sinuses twice daily to promote healing.

hockeykid

krisgabes

Thank you all so much for your entries, it has definately curbed some feelings of anxiety. I see the ENT on October 6 so I will find out then what will be happening. I'll update once I find out!

krisgabes

Thank you all so much for your entries, it has definately curbed some feelings of anxiety. I see the ENT on October 6 so I will find out then what will be happening. I'll update once I find out!

krisgabes