SINUSES - NASAL POLYPS

MYBOY

Oh wow! This is the first time I started a thread. Anyway I have a question - I have a 10 year old boy that has had 4 sinus surgeries - polyps removed. His last one was Oct 2006. It seems like he was so clear for a while. Lately he has been more stuffed up mostly at night. I'm not sure if it's allergies or if the polyps are coming back - hopefully not - he said he will never do it again!

A while back I remember reading some post from someone that said what really worked for them to keep them at bay or at least breath better - but I can't find it. He goes to his doc next week so I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas so I can ask the doc too. I wondered about putting him on claritin or something to see if it is allergies.????? Thanks!

MYBOY

Oh wow! This is the first time I started a thread. Anyway I have a question - I have a 10 year old boy that has had 4 sinus surgeries - polyps removed. His last one was Oct 2006. It seems like he was so clear for a while. Lately he has been more stuffed up mostly at night. I'm not sure if it's allergies or if the polyps are coming back - hopefully not - he said he will never do it again!

A while back I remember reading some post from someone that said what really worked for them to keep them at bay or at least breath better - but I can't find it. He goes to his doc next week so I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas so I can ask the doc too. I wondered about putting him on claritin or something to see if it is allergies.????? Thanks!

MYBOY

NoExcuses

Get an allergy test from an allergist. Not an IgE blood test, but a 6 hour, full skin test.

Then treat the allergies. Get a HEPA filter in the bedroom and room where he does meds. Put allergy encasings on the pillows & matress pad if he has dust mite allergies. Get on an anti-histamine. Consider allergy shots.

All of these things will have a huge impact on sinus issues.

But first, find a good allergist who can do a full work up allergy testing.

NoExcuses

Get an allergy test from an allergist. Not an IgE blood test, but a 6 hour, full skin test.

Then treat the allergies. Get a HEPA filter in the bedroom and room where he does meds. Put allergy encasings on the pillows & matress pad if he has dust mite allergies. Get on an anti-histamine. Consider allergy shots.

NoExcuses

concernedmom

You can also do nasal washes. There's a neilmed sinus wash-we've never tried that but have heard it's good. We just make our own. Here's the recipe:
In a clean mason jar, mix 1 quart of sterile water with 2 tsps of arm & hammer, red label baking soda and 1-2 tsps of salt (the kind with no iodine in it, NOT regular table salt). Mix well. Pour half in a bowl. Cover the mason jar with the remaining half and set aside. Use a bulb syringe/nasal aspirator. Fill the bulb syringe with fluid from the bowl, lean over the sink, rinse one nostril. Refill the bulb and do the other nostril. You can either let the mixture drain back out the nostril, or, if it runs down the throat, spit it out into the sink. Keep alternating nostrils til you've used the whole bowl full of solution. Repeat again at night with the remaining solution in the mason jar. DO NOT use the nasal aspirator in the mason jar, always pour the solution you are using at the time, into a bowl. (To prevent contaminating the remaining solution in the mason jar.) Also, this is important, if he uses any nasal sprays, use them AFTER he's rinsed his sinuses, not before, or you'll rinse the meds out of his nose. Also, he should be using a nasal steroid spray like flonase, nasacort, nasonex, etc, daily to help shrink the polyps.

Hope that helps. Also, you can do this on young children. We started it with DS at the age of 5.

concernedmom

You can also do nasal washes. There's a neilmed sinus wash-we've never tried that but have heard it's good. We just make our own. Here's the recipe:
In a clean mason jar, mix 1 quart of sterile water with 2 tsps of arm & hammer, red label baking soda and 1-2 tsps of salt (the kind with no iodine in it, NOT regular table salt). Mix well. Pour half in a bowl. Cover the mason jar with the remaining half and set aside. Use a bulb syringe/nasal aspirator. Fill the bulb syringe with fluid from the bowl, lean over the sink, rinse one nostril. Refill the bulb and do the other nostril. You can either let the mixture drain back out the nostril, or, if it runs down the throat, spit it out into the sink. Keep alternating nostrils til you've used the whole bowl full of solution. Repeat again at night with the remaining solution in the mason jar. DO NOT use the nasal aspirator in the mason jar, always pour the solution you are using at the time, into a bowl. (To prevent contaminating the remaining solution in the mason jar.) Also, this is important, if he uses any nasal sprays, use them AFTER he's rinsed his sinuses, not before, or you'll rinse the meds out of his nose. Also, he should be using a nasal steroid spray like flonase, nasacort, nasonex, etc, daily to help shrink the polyps.

Hope that helps. Also, you can do this on young children. We started it with DS at the age of 5.

concernedmom

MYBOY

Thanks! Amy we just did an addition on our house and had a HEPA filter put in - I had him put in the best one (after reading about them on here) - so should that be good enough?

He has used the neilmed rinse - and liked that - I wondered about doing that again. They didn't have him on any flonase right now - he was at one time. I should probably call his ENT doc too. Thanks!!

MYBOY

Thanks! Amy we just did an addition on our house and had a HEPA filter put in - I had him put in the best one (after reading about them on here) - so should that be good enough?

He has used the neilmed rinse - and liked that - I wondered about doing that again. They didn't have him on any flonase right now - he was at one time. I should probably call his ENT doc too. Thanks!!

MYBOY

coltsfan715

I agree with concerned mom that a steroid nasal spray of some kind can definitely help with the polyps. I had a problem with a few polyps as a teen and using the nose sprays helped to shrink the polyp to the point that I no longer have issues with them.

Also you may end up trying a few different types of nose sprays if he has problems with nose bleeds or anything. I know personally I have taken/used almost every steroid nose spray there is to find one that doesn't give me nose bleeds. Flonase seems to be the worst for me in that regard. I am currently prescribed NasacortAQ and that has been better - though I do still get minor nose bleeds they are as bad as they have been with other nose sprays.

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

I agree with concerned mom that a steroid nasal spray of some kind can definitely help with the polyps. I had a problem with a few polyps as a teen and using the nose sprays helped to shrink the polyp to the point that I no longer have issues with them.

Also you may end up trying a few different types of nose sprays if he has problems with nose bleeds or anything. I know personally I have taken/used almost every steroid nose spray there is to find one that doesn't give me nose bleeds. Flonase seems to be the worst for me in that regard. I am currently prescribed NasacortAQ and that has been better - though I do still get minor nose bleeds they are as bad as they have been with other nose sprays.

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Take Care,
Lindsey

M

MCGrad2006

I also had sinus surgery when I was in my teens, three times. The last one was in like 7th grade and I am 23 now. I, like Lindsey said, use a steroid nasal spray, i think Rhinocort. I have also used the saline nasal spray which helps a lot with getting stuff out.

In addition, I used Motrin for inflammation. I have been on high doses of Motrin since my last sinus surgery (high doses being 1200 mg twice daily) and have not had a polyp problem since then. I dont know if you are interested in that or if that would even be feasible, but it has worked wonders for me. I hope you find a good solution!

M

MCGrad2006

I also had sinus surgery when I was in my teens, three times. The last one was in like 7th grade and I am 23 now. I, like Lindsey said, use a steroid nasal spray, i think Rhinocort. I have also used the saline nasal spray which helps a lot with getting stuff out.

In addition, I used Motrin for inflammation. I have been on high doses of Motrin since my last sinus surgery (high doses being 1200 mg twice daily) and have not had a polyp problem since then. I dont know if you are interested in that or if that would even be feasible, but it has worked wonders for me. I hope you find a good solution!

M

MCGrad2006

NoExcuses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>MYBOY</b></i>

</end quote></div>

HEPA filter put in what? Do you have a stand alone air purifier or is the HEPA filter attached to your air conditioner?

NoExcuses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>MYBOY</b></i>

</end quote></div>

HEPA filter put in what? Do you have a stand alone air purifier or is the HEPA filter attached to your air conditioner?