sluggish liver

Jeana

It appears that my high bilirubin levels are probably not caused by gall stones, butby a sluggish liver??? Anyone have this or encounter this temporarily? What was the treatment and/or cause?

Jeana

It appears that my high bilirubin levels are probably not caused by gall stones, butby a sluggish liver??? Anyone have this or encounter this temporarily? What was the treatment and/or cause?

CheriD

here's a tale that ends well but a long painful journey...i started having gall bladder "attacks" when i was 18. they didnt happen at the right time until i was in my mid 30's so no one figured it out. i had my gall bladder removed but still had liver enzymes out of whack. i was put to actigall (300 mg bid) at the time and within 2 years ended up with an infected liver from biliary sludging. the joy of thickened fluids EVERYWHERE. my care team tried several times for a year to flush my liver via a nasal billiary drain (placed by ERCP and kept inpatient for 2 weeks for this) but it would not stay clear. they had to use mucamist to do the flushes with since the bile was so thick and nasty. in the end i had to have my left lobe removed. this is not a surgery to be taken lightly! i am almost 15 years post-op and still on 600mg of actigall twice a day. i have 2-3 enzymes still out of whack at 2-3x "normal" but that's my normal now. if you are having right upper quadrant pains, use ice for short periods, instead of heat to slow the blood flow and help reduce the inflammation. keep on your doctors, insurance permitting of course, to get some imaging, not just labs, or do the scoping. hope this helps.

CheriD

here's a tale that ends well but a long painful journey...i started having gall bladder "attacks" when i was 18. they didnt happen at the right time until i was in my mid 30's so no one figured it out. i had my gall bladder removed but still had liver enzymes out of whack. i was put to actigall (300 mg bid) at the time and within 2 years ended up with an infected liver from biliary sludging. the joy of thickened fluids EVERYWHERE. my care team tried several times for a year to flush my liver via a nasal billiary drain (placed by ERCP and kept inpatient for 2 weeks for this) but it would not stay clear. they had to use mucamist to do the flushes with since the bile was so thick and nasty. in the end i had to have my left lobe removed. this is not a surgery to be taken lightly! i am almost 15 years post-op and still on 600mg of actigall twice a day. i have 2-3 enzymes still out of whack at 2-3x "normal" but that's my normal now. if you are having right upper quadrant pains, use ice for short periods, instead of heat to slow the blood flow and help reduce the inflammation. keep on your doctors, insurance permitting of course, to get some imaging, not just labs, or do the scoping. hope this helps.