Small Airways

MMBinNC

I was wondering if there were any ways to help out our small airways. My FEV 25-75% is like <20% and it is always a problem. My doctor usually just ignores it when deciding for IVs or not mainly because my usual FEV1 is around 70%. Anyone with good small airway function care to tel us if they do anything special or different from the rest of us?

MMBinNC

I was wondering if there were any ways to help out our small airways. My FEV 25-75% is like <20% and it is always a problem. My doctor usually just ignores it when deciding for IVs or not mainly because my usual FEV1 is around 70%. Anyone with good small airway function care to tel us if they do anything special or different from the rest of us?

MMBinNC

MMBinNC

MMBinNC

JazzysMom

Small airways are usually the first to go because they are the hardest to keep open & damage free.

That being said its also the reason many doctors dont focus on the numbers for them.

I dont recall my small airways numbers, but I do remember being able to get them back up significantly after a lengthy time of hydration, ivs & aggressive therapy.

I was not trying to, but they responded well to the treatment of an exacerbation.

Things like pulmozyme & HTS are great helps, but exercise is probably the other thing that would really work those small airways.

Good Luck!

JazzysMom

Small airways are usually the first to go because they are the hardest to keep open & damage free.

That being said its also the reason many doctors dont focus on the numbers for them.

I dont recall my small airways numbers, but I do remember being able to get them back up significantly after a lengthy time of hydration, ivs & aggressive therapy.

I was not trying to, but they responded well to the treatment of an exacerbation.

Things like pulmozyme & HTS are great helps, but exercise is probably the other thing that would really work those small airways.

Good Luck!

JazzysMom

Good Luck!

JazzysMom

Good Luck!

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />That being said its also the reason many doctors dont focus on the numbers for them.
<br />
<br />I dont recall my small airways numbers, but I do remember being able to get them back up significantly after a lengthy time of hydration, ivs & aggressive therapy.
<br />
<br />I was not trying to, but they responded well to the treatment of an exacerbation.
<br />
<br />Things like pulmozyme & HTS are great helps, but exercise is probably the other thing that would really work those small airways.
<br />
<br />Good Luck!

nu65

I would suggest using a bronchodilator like Symbicort. It's usually for Asthma but a lot of us cystics have asthma components, where our airways get all scrunched up like during asthma attacks. I use that and it tends to help me a bit, but no real increase in small airway PFTs, mine are just too damaged.

nu65

I would suggest using a bronchodilator like Symbicort. It's usually for Asthma but a lot of us cystics have asthma components, where our airways get all scrunched up like during asthma attacks. I use that and it tends to help me a bit, but no real increase in small airway PFTs, mine are just too damaged.

nu65

nu65

nu65