Social Security and Disability

nhaggard07

Hi,   I have been on SSI for about 2 years now. I used to get 724$ a month. About 4 months ago I accepted medicare and they take the payment out of my SSI. Now I recieve 609$ per month. I havnt been able to work steady since I filed. I can still work and make up to 900$ a month I believe, and aslo keep my SSI. My question here is how much do any of you get for SSI payments? I know this is a personal question, but Im just wondering how much the payments fluctuate from person to person. Im also wondering how do they base how much payment you should get? I have not filed for Disability, but I may do so if it would actually be worth it. Obviously 609$ a month is nowhere near enough to live off of. Thats why I have not filed for disability so I can still work when my health permits. Basically I find side jobs and MAYBE come across an extra 200$ a month. Still definately nowhere close to live off of. I know if I file for Disability as well I will get some more money a month, but how much? And would the extra disability money outweigh the cost of not being able to work to earn extra? Any knowledge on this subject would be helpful!<br>

nhaggard07

Hi, I have been on SSI for about 2 years now. I used to get 724$ a month. About 4 months ago I accepted medicare and they take the payment out of my SSI. Now I recieve 609$ per month. I havnt been able to work steady since I filed. I can still work and make up to 900$ a month I believe, and aslo keep my SSI. My question here is how much do any of you get for SSI payments? I know this is a personal question, but Im just wondering how much the payments fluctuate from person to person. Im also wondering how do they base how much payment you should get? I have not filed for Disability, but I may do so if it would actually be worth it. Obviously 609$ a month is nowhere near enough to live off of. Thats why I have not filed for disability so I can still work when my health permits. Basically I find side jobs and MAYBE come across an extra 200$ a month. Still definately nowhere close to live off of. I know if I file for Disability as well I will get some more money a month, but how much? And would the extra disability money outweigh the cost of not being able to work to earn extra?Any knowledge on this subject would be helpful!<br>

nhaggard07

<p>Hi, <p> I have been on SSI for about 2 years now. I used to get 724$ a month. About 4 months ago I accepted medicare and they take the payment out of my SSI. Now I recieve 609$ per month. I havnt been able to work steady since I filed. I can still work and make up to 900$ a month I believe, and aslo keep my SSI. My question here is how much do any of you get for SSI payments? I know this is a personal question, but Im just wondering how much the payments fluctuate from person to person. Im also wondering how do they base how much payment you should get? I have not filed for Disability, but I may do so if it would actually be worth it. Obviously 609$ a month is nowhere near enough to live off of. Thats why I have not filed for disability so I can still work when my health permits. Basically I find side jobs and MAYBE come across an extra 200$ a month. Still definately nowhere close to live off of. I know if I file for Disability as well I will get some more money a month, but how much? And would the extra disability money outweigh the cost of not being able to work to earn extra?<p>Any knowledge on this subject would be helpful!<br>

JennifersHope

SSI is based on your income, SSDI, which is when you apply for disability is based on your work history and income, each person's is going to be very different based on the amount of credit you have in your account. If you are bringing home the amount you say, you certainly should also qualify for food stamps.

You can work when you are on SSDI, as you can SSI, I am able to make under 1000.00 a month and not lose my disability, anything above one thousand and they consider that to be a decent enough income.

If you don't have a strong work history you may not get more then what you are already making on SSI.

JennifersHope

SSI is based on your income, SSDI, which is when you apply for disability is based on your work history and income, each person's is going to be very different based on the amount of credit you have in your account. If you are bringing home the amount you say, you certainly should also qualify for food stamps.

You can work when you are on SSDI, as you can SSI, I am able to make under 1000.00 a month and not lose my disability, anything above one thousand and they consider that to be a decent enough income.

If you don't have a strong work history you may not get more then what you are already making on SSI.

JennifersHope

<br />
<br />You can work when you are on SSDI, as you can SSI, I am able to make under 1000.00 a month and not lose my disability, anything above one thousand and they consider that to be a decent enough income.
<br />
<br />If you don't have a strong work history you may not get more then what you are already making on SSI.

julie

I don't understand what you mean by you haven't filed for disability. If you are on SSI, that IS disability. SSI and SSDI are both disability benefits under the Social Security Administration.

SSI is for people who dont have enough credits based on their age (when they applied for disability) and the amount of credits they earned. There is a cap for SSI payments, but it does vary in some states as some states include food stamps in the SSI payment. What state are you in?
SSDI is for people who have enough work credits (based on age when they applied for disability and their work credits), and meet the SSA impairment listings for their medical condition.

I'm very confused though because you are saying you are also getting medicare, which you can ONLY get if you are on SSDI.

So, can you pull your benefit letter and find out if you are recieving SSI or SSDI? I'm almost positive its SSDI since you said you are getting medicare (are you sure it's not medicaid? but that doesn't make sense either because medicaid usually won't cost you anything unless there is other significant household income)

julie

I don't understand what you mean by you haven't filed for disability. If you are on SSI, that IS disability. SSI and SSDI are both disability benefits under the Social Security Administration.

SSI is for people who dont have enough credits based on their age (when they applied for disability) and the amount of credits they earned. There is a cap for SSI payments, but it does vary in some states as some states include food stamps in the SSI payment. What state are you in?
SSDI is for people who have enough work credits (based on age when they applied for disability and their work credits), and meet the SSA impairment listings for their medical condition.

I'm very confused though because you are saying you are also getting medicare, which you can ONLY get if you are on SSDI.

So, can you pull your benefit letter and find out if you are recieving SSI or SSDI? I'm almost positive its SSDI since you said you are getting medicare (are you sure it's not medicaid? but that doesn't make sense either because medicaid usually won't cost you anything unless there is other significant household income)

julie

<br />
<br />SSI is for people who dont have enough credits based on their age (when they applied for disability) and the amount of credits they earned. There is a cap for SSI payments, but it does vary in some states as some states include food stamps in the SSI payment. What state are you in?
<br />SSDI is for people who have enough work credits (based on age when they applied for disability and their work credits), and meet the SSA impairment listings for their medical condition.
<br />
<br />I'm very confused though because you are saying you are also getting medicare, which you can ONLY get if you are on SSDI.
<br />
<br />So, can you pull your benefit letter and find out if you are recieving SSI or SSDI? I'm almost positive its SSDI since you said you are getting medicare (are you sure it's not medicaid? but that doesn't make sense either because medicaid usually won't cost you anything unless there is other significant household income)
<br />
<br />

Hardak

Current SSI Payments are 674 a month, where your not pulling that much in off your SSDI (tho they may not be counting the medicaid costs against you for it). If you can make a little money on the side with out getting penalized for it go for you. Your in about the same situation i've been in for years. not enough high income years build up to really make the difference between SSI and SSDI worth it. Infact I'm willing to bet in your case It probably isn't. Less you can do a little side/part time work here and there and make a bit extra.

Keith

Hardak

Current SSI Payments are 674 a month, where your not pulling that much in off your SSDI (tho they may not be counting the medicaid costs against you for it). If you can make a little money on the side with out getting penalized for it go for you. Your in about the same situation i've been in for years. not enough high income years build up to really make the difference between SSI and SSDI worth it. Infact I'm willing to bet in your case It probably isn't. Less you can do a little side/part time work here and there and make a bit extra.

Keith

Hardak

Keith

nhaggard07

Julie,
Im not mistaken. I have SSI. And I also have Medicare. If thats not supposed to happen then I dont know whats going on because thats whats happening. And it sucks that they base disability on the "credits" you have earned over the years you have worked. In my case, and im sure a great many others, Im very young and disabled. I havent had the good health in my years to build up a strong work expierience. So basically im screwed??

nhaggard07

Julie,
Im not mistaken. I have SSI. And I also have Medicare. If thats not supposed to happen then I dont know whats going on because thats whats happening. And it sucks that they base disability on the "credits" you have earned over the years you have worked. In my case, and im sure a great many others, Im very young and disabled. I havent had the good health in my years to build up a strong work expierience. So basically im screwed??

nhaggard07

Julie,
<br /> Im not mistaken. I have SSI. And I also have Medicare. If thats not supposed to happen then I dont know whats going on because thats whats happening. And it sucks that they base disability on the "credits" you have earned over the years you have worked. In my case, and im sure a great many others, Im very young and disabled. I havent had the good health in my years to build up a strong work expierience. So basically im screwed??

nhaggard07

Julie,

nhaggard07

Julie,

nhaggard07

Julie,
<br /> Im not mistaken. I have SSI. And I also have Medicare. If thats not supposed to happen then I dont know whats going on because thats whats happening. And it sucks that they base disability on the "credits" you have earned over the years you have worked. In my case, and im sure a great many others, Im very young and disabled. I havent had the good health in my years to build up a strong work expierience. So basically im screwed??