social security disability question

littledebbie

I have seen a few threads about parents applying for disability for their kids and I wasn't aware you could do that. i was wondering how that works? I am just curious, since I am in the process of applying for it and I have to show that I can't work and stuff...I mean a little kid doesnt work so what's the qualifying need? I'm not judging it I'm just curious. Is it really for the kids or is it actually for the parent since they are home with the kid? So if it's for the parents how do you have to show your need...is it based on your kids PFT's? Again just curious....I'm finding the entire system convoluted and this just peaked my interest.

littledebbie

I have seen a few threads about parents applying for disability for their kids and I wasn't aware you could do that. i was wondering how that works? I am just curious, since I am in the process of applying for it and I have to show that I can't work and stuff...I mean a little kid doesnt work so what's the qualifying need? I'm not judging it I'm just curious. Is it really for the kids or is it actually for the parent since they are home with the kid? So if it's for the parents how do you have to show your need...is it based on your kids PFT's? Again just curious....I'm finding the entire system convoluted and this just peaked my interest.

littledebbie

JazzysMom

IF its SSDI then its based on the parents work history. If its SSI then just like if it was the adult applying its based on household income. Either way the CFer in question needs to be medically justified for disability. It helps with income the parents who need to stay at home, but I think the more important goal is for the kids future when they are on their own. My Mom never followed through on disability when I was a kid. That both worked in my favor and against me as an adult.

JazzysMom

IF its SSDI then its based on the parents work history. If its SSI then just like if it was the adult applying its based on household income. Either way the CFer in question needs to be medically justified for disability. It helps with income the parents who need to stay at home, but I think the more important goal is for the kids future when they are on their own. My Mom never followed through on disability when I was a kid. That both worked in my favor and against me as an adult.

JazzysMom

ladybug

I had applied for disability while living in my parents' home at about age 19 or so. I was denied again and again and all the way until trial. Even with an FEV1 of 53%! They told me that since I'd not ever TRIED to work full time, it was unknown how it would effect me and my health. So, I guess in a way that's like saying ,"As a child, how do you KNOW you can't work until you try it full time." I thought it was ridiculous. I got sick just working part time... isn't that justification enough?!? Apparently not. With that argument, I would imagine they'd turn down lots of children just based on the fact that "how do you know they can't work full time?" Stupid stupid stupid. Also, I was denied SSDI... not sure why... probably cannot get SSDI unless you get SSI though.

Either way, good luck to you. I find the entire process exhausting. I still do not work (neither full nor part time) and am not on disability either (my lungs have actually IMPROVED since I applied 10 years ago, so I'm sure they'd scoff at me now). Very frustrating.

ladybug

I had applied for disability while living in my parents' home at about age 19 or so. I was denied again and again and all the way until trial. Even with an FEV1 of 53%! They told me that since I'd not ever TRIED to work full time, it was unknown how it would effect me and my health. So, I guess in a way that's like saying ,"As a child, how do you KNOW you can't work until you try it full time." I thought it was ridiculous. I got sick just working part time... isn't that justification enough?!? Apparently not. With that argument, I would imagine they'd turn down lots of children just based on the fact that "how do you know they can't work full time?" Stupid stupid stupid. Also, I was denied SSDI... not sure why... probably cannot get SSDI unless you get SSI though.

Either way, good luck to you. I find the entire process exhausting. I still do not work (neither full nor part time) and am not on disability either (my lungs have actually IMPROVED since I applied 10 years ago, so I'm sure they'd scoff at me now). Very frustrating.

ladybug

Landy

A couple of things here, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Little Debbie....I have wondered the very same thing.
edited to add this link:
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disability/disability_starter_kits_child_factsheet.htm#disability
">http://www.socialsecurity.gov/...tsheet.htm#disability
</a>
And Sonia, one reason you didn't get SSDI is most likely because you didn't have enough job credits in the last few years to qualify. The amount you get from SSDI is based on what you paid into SSDI (through payroll deductions) over the years.
You have to make so much money per quarter to count as a job credit. You do not have to be receiving SSI to get SSDI.

Landy

edited to add this link:
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disability/disability_starter_kits_child_factsheet.htm#disability
</a>
And Sonia, one reason you didn't get SSDI is most likely because you didn't have enough job credits in the last few years to qualify. The amount you get from SSDI is based on what you paid into SSDI (through payroll deductions) over the years.
You have to make so much money per quarter to count as a job credit. You do not have to be receiving SSI to get SSDI.

Landy

edited to add this link:
</a>

momtoCory

Cory received SSI at a very young age. I think he was 2. We ( I guess ) were the lucky ones. We have never been denied or had any of the hassles I hear so much about. When he was under 18, it was always according to my income and after he turned 19 it was according to his income.

momtoCory

Cory received SSI at a very young age. I think he was 2. We ( I guess ) were the lucky ones. We have never been denied or had any of the hassles I hear so much about. When he was under 18, it was always according to my income and after he turned 19 it was according to his income.

momtoCory

kayleesgrandma

Momtocory, how is Cory? You haven't posted anything new about him--does he still have nosebleeds? Was he able to have a nice 21st birthday anyway?

kayleesgrandma

Momtocory, how is Cory? You haven't posted anything new about him--does he still have nosebleeds? Was he able to have a nice 21st birthday anyway?

kayleesgrandma

ReneeP

When my first daughter was diagnosed at 2 1/2 she was very, very sick. She had been hospitalized several times and had been misdiagnosed, therefore wasn't getting any better. When she was finally diagnosed, I applied for SSI for her and immediately got approved. I couldn't work because she was too sick. But as she finally started getting treated her health improved dramatically. By the time she was 5 they decided she was no longer eligible because she was too healthy so they took it away from her. I appealed and appealed it and even went before a judge but they woudn't budge. I was terrified because it meant losing her medicaid. I told them that was the reason she was so healthy and if they took her insurance she would suffer drastically.... but it did no good. I think they are very backwards in their way of thinking, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot you can do about it.

ReneeP

When my first daughter was diagnosed at 2 1/2 she was very, very sick. She had been hospitalized several times and had been misdiagnosed, therefore wasn't getting any better. When she was finally diagnosed, I applied for SSI for her and immediately got approved. I couldn't work because she was too sick. But as she finally started getting treated her health improved dramatically. By the time she was 5 they decided she was no longer eligible because she was too healthy so they took it away from her. I appealed and appealed it and even went before a judge but they woudn't budge. I was terrified because it meant losing her medicaid. I told them that was the reason she was so healthy and if they took her insurance she would suffer drastically.... but it did no good. I think they are very backwards in their way of thinking, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot you can do about it.