social security, or other resources

Angel2393

<P>Hey guys, my family has been bringing up the fact of "social security" to me. They seem to think I am eligable for some type of payment support through social security or etc. I am only 19, so how would that work? And what are the requirements?</P>
<P>I am moving out to my own place soon, so it would help me pay for my cost of medicine..</P>
<P>thank you =)</P>
<P> </P>
<P> </P>

Angel2393

<P>Hey guys, my family has been bringing up the fact of "social security" to me. They seem to think I am eligable for some type of payment support through social security or etc. I am only 19, so how would that work? And what are the requirements?</P>
<P>I am moving out to my own place soon, so it would help me pay for my cost of medicine..</P>
<P>thank you =)</P>
<P></P>
<P></P>

Angel2393

<P>thank you =)</P>
<P></P>
<P></P>

dledwith

not an expert, but when it comes to 'social security' it's my understanding that you can only receive your social security payments before the age of 65 if you become disabled and are unable to work. similarly, if you die before the age of 65, your survivors are then entitled to receive your social security payments. also keep in mind you only receive social security payments if you have contributed to the social security program through payroll taxes (aka FICA tax).

i have a feeling your family is talking about something else besides 'social security' though. depending on what state you live in there are a number of programs that can assist with the cost of medicine. for example, i live in maryland, which offers the Maryland Health Insurance Plan. It's really amazing because anyone with CF automatically qualifies. There is no sort of financial barrier like Medicaid, which only allows very low-income individuals to qualify. it covers all of my CF prescriptions. I rarely ever have a copay. And even if i do, it's very cheap. I would check to see what sort of benefits are available in your state.

hope this helps

dledwith

not an expert, but when it comes to 'social security' it's my understanding that you can only receive your social security payments before the age of 65 if you become disabled and are unable to work. similarly, if you die before the age of 65, your survivors are then entitled to receive your social security payments. also keep in mind you only receive social security payments if you have contributed to the social security program through payroll taxes (aka FICA tax).

i have a feeling your family is talking about something else besides 'social security' though. depending on what state you live in there are a number of programs that can assist with the cost of medicine. for example, i live in maryland, which offers the Maryland Health Insurance Plan. It's really amazing because anyone with CF automatically qualifies. There is no sort of financial barrier like Medicaid, which only allows very low-income individuals to qualify. it covers all of my CF prescriptions. I rarely ever have a copay. And even if i do, it's very cheap. I would check to see what sort of benefits are available in your state.

hope this helps

dledwith

<br />
<br />i have a feeling your family is talking about something else besides 'social security' though. depending on what state you live in there are a number of programs that can assist with the cost of medicine. for example, i live in maryland, which offers the Maryland Health Insurance Plan. It's really amazing because anyone with CF automatically qualifies. There is no sort of financial barrier like Medicaid, which only allows very low-income individuals to qualify. it covers all of my CF prescriptions. I rarely ever have a copay. And even if i do, it's very cheap. I would check to see what sort of benefits are available in your state.
<br />
<br />hope this helps

Wingnatic

My son now 26 after graduating H.S. lost a couple of jobs due to getting sick , hospitalized to put a deep vein PICC line in his arm and sent home for weeks of I.V. therapy . He applied for S.S. and was denied . Lost a couple of other jobs , same thing , applied again and was denied . He got a S.S. lawyer , waited 2 years to have his case heard , denied again , appealed and haven't heard anything yeat and that was 16 months ago . They have a backlog of cases because of the economy and a mass of people that are applying . The lawyer also told us the backlog is partially due to some insurance companies are making people apply for S.S. before they will pay out benefits for disability . I think somewhere deep in the bowels of the S.S. website there is an area that has the criteria required for people with CF to collect . Don't let this stop you if you apply and are denied , get a S.S. lawyer and be prepared to wait .

Wingnatic

My son now 26 after graduating H.S. lost a couple of jobs due to getting sick , hospitalized to put a deep vein PICC line in his arm and sent home for weeks of I.V. therapy . He applied for S.S. and was denied . Lost a couple of other jobs , same thing , applied again and was denied . He got a S.S. lawyer , waited 2 years to have his case heard , denied again , appealed and haven't heard anything yeat and that was 16 months ago . They have a backlog of cases because of the economy and a mass of people that are applying . The lawyer also told us the backlog is partially due to some insurance companies are making people apply for S.S. before they will pay out benefits for disability . I think somewhere deep in the bowels of the S.S. website there is an area that has the criteria required for people with CF to collect . Don't let this stop you if you apply and are denied , get a S.S. lawyer and be prepared to wait .

Wingnatic

Giggles

Two words for getting SSDi or SSI and any questions about all that: Beth Sufian<br><br>She is a lawyer who has CF and gets CF people their SSi or SSDI. She is wonderful!!!! I do not think she ever lost a case.....<br>

Giggles

Two words for getting SSDi or SSI and any questions about all that: Beth Sufian<br><br>She is a lawyer who has CF and gets CF people their SSi or SSDI. She is wonderful!!!! I do not think she ever lost a case.....<br>

Giggles

ltlhook

There is SSI (Supplemental Security Income).  SSI is a "needs-based" benefit. In addition to providing benefits to persons who are disabled of any age including children, it also pays monthly benefits to people over age 65 whether or not they are disabled. The key to SSI benefits is "financial need." The "Financial Eligibility" is based on the person's lack of personal resources and income to meet necessities of life. SSDI is also called SSD. Social Security calls it just "Disability" and refers to the DIB, or the Disability Insurance Benefit.  The program was created so workers who become disabled and unable to work to their normal retirement age will be able to access their Social Security retirement benefit early. Private pension plans would call this a "disability retirement" benefit." Financial eligibility" is solely based on the length of time and amount paid in F.I.C.A. payroll taxes. I copied these from a site to give you a sample of the difference between the 2.  Many people get them confused or think there is only 1.I applied and received SSI when I was 18 and got married.  My ex-husbands income came into play.  Whatever he made changed the amount of money I received each month.  I had to send in check stubs to show his income.  If you don't do that and they over pay you they WILL take "their" money back.  I started working to have more income and get health insurance and then of course I made too much money.  I then stopped getting SSI.  I then quit working about 5 years later and applied for disability (SSDI).  I was denied and went straight to a disability lawyer to let them know I was not messing around and to hopefully shorten the wait time.  I can't remember the time line but it was somewhere around 18 months but I got approved.  Then the 2 year time limit went by and Medicare kicked in.  I soon after got divorced.  I have since remarried.  SSDI, disability, is not affected by others income in the household.That is what I know about it all.  I do know apply as soon as you can because if you are denied you don't want to waste any time.<br>

ltlhook

There is SSI (Supplemental Security Income). SSI is a "needs-based" benefit. In addition to providing benefits to persons who are disabled of any age including children, it also pays monthly benefits to people over age 65 whether or not they are disabled. The key to SSI benefits is "financial need." The "Financial Eligibility" is based on the person's lack of personal resources and income to meet necessities of life. SSDI is also called SSD. Social Security calls it just "Disability" and refers to the DIB, or the Disability Insurance Benefit. The program was created so workers who become disabled and unable to work to their normal retirement age will be able to access their Social Security retirement benefit early. Private pension plans would call this a "disability retirement" benefit." Financial eligibility" is solely based on the length of time and amount paid in F.I.C.A. payroll taxes. I copied these from a site to give you a sample of the difference between the 2. Many people get them confused or think there is only 1.I applied and received SSI when I was 18 and got married. My ex-husbands income came into play. Whatever he made changed the amount of money I received each month. I had to send in check stubs to show his income. If you don't do that and they over pay you they WILL take "their" money back. I started working to have more income and get health insurance and then of course I made too much money. I then stopped getting SSI. I then quit working about 5 years later and applied for disability (SSDI). I was denied and went straight to a disability lawyer to let them know I was not messing around and to hopefully shorten the wait time. I can't remember the time line but it was somewhere around 18 months but I got approved. Then the 2 year time limit went by and Medicare kicked in. I soon after got divorced. I have since remarried. SSDI, disability, is not affected by others income in the household.That is what I know about it all. I do know apply as soon as you can because if you are denied you don't want to waste any time.<br>

ltlhook

<p>There is SSI (Supplemental Security Income). SSI is a "needs-based" benefit. In addition to providing benefits to persons who are disabled of any age including children, it also pays monthly benefits to people over age 65 whether or not they are disabled. The key to SSI benefits is "financial need." The "Financial Eligibility" is based on the person's lack of personal resources and income to meet necessities of life. <p>SSDI is also called SSD. Social Security calls it just "Disability" and refers to the DIB, or the Disability Insurance Benefit. The program was created so workers who become disabled and unable to work to their normal retirement age will be able to access their Social Security retirement benefit early. Private pension plans would call this a "disability retirement" benefit." Financial eligibility" is solely based on the length of time and amount paid in F.I.C.A. payroll taxes. <p>I copied these from a site to give you a sample of the difference between the 2. Many people get them confused or think there is only 1.<p>I applied and received SSI when I was 18 and got married. My ex-husbands income came into play. Whatever he made changed the amount of money I received each month. I had to send in check stubs to show his income. If you don't do that and they over pay you they WILL take "their" money back. I started working to have more income and get health insurance and then of course I made too much money. I then stopped getting SSI. I then quit working about 5 years later and applied for disability (SSDI). I was denied and went straight to a disability lawyer to let them know I was not messing around and to hopefully shorten the wait time. I can't remember the time line but it was somewhere around 18 months but I got approved. Then the 2 year time limit went by and Medicare kicked in. I soon after got divorced. I have since remarried. SSDI, disability, is not affected by others income in the household.<p>That is what I know about it all. I do know apply as soon as you can because if you are denied you don't want to waste any time.<br>

crystalina0814

I applied in March of 2010 and got my approval letter in August 2010. I did not use a lawyer, but I did however keep a 3 day log of my very crammed medication schedule to prove just how time demanding CF is and I used that to argue my case against holding any type of "Real" job. Best of luck to you.

crystalina0814

I applied in March of 2010 and got my approval letter in August 2010. I did not use a lawyer, but I did however keep a 3 day log of my very crammed medication schedule to prove just how time demanding CF is and I used that to argue my case against holding any type of "Real" job. Best of luck to you.