sodium dietary intake

madencanada

why nope ? " the gold standard sweat test " was developed 40 yrs or so ago , basically designed for children who have a completley different diet than an adult .. if a person really starts paying close attention to sodium content in foods , there sure is alot of it that a person does't even realize.

madencanada

why nope ? " the gold standard sweat test " was developed 40 yrs or so ago , basically designed for children who have a completley different diet than an adult .. if a person really starts paying close attention to sodium content in foods , there sure is alot of it that a person does't even realize.

madencanada

madencanada

madencanada

AnD

I found this on sweat testing, from <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.aleph0.com/~chjones/medicine/medschool/core/ppp/02-cf-obj5-clinical.html">link</a> :

<i>Clinical diagnosis
Diagnosis is most often made on the basis of a sweat chloride concentration test. Chloride is normally present in perspiration, and the CFTR typically reclaims chloride back into the body. Note that this is the opposite of the typical problems of CF above. In CF, of course, the CFTR does not work properly, causing an abnormally high level of chloride (and, due to the electrochemical gradient, sodium) in the sweat. In the sweat test, a small area of skin, usually the forearm, has a chemical and a small electrical stimulation supplied to force sweat for 30-40 minutes onto a piece of gauze or filter paper wrapped in plastic. The result is analyzed for salt concentration; above 60 mmol/L is considered consistent with CF (below 40 is normal). <b>The sweat salt concentration does not change with age or with temporary illnesses such as cold, and is positive in the vast majority of CF patients.</b>
In some symptomatic CF patients with normal sweat tests, and in young infants who do not produce enough sweat to measure, an immunoreactive trypsinogen test can test for pancreatic insufficiency. This test, however, gives a large number of false positives and even a real positive may have causes unrelated to CF.

The only failsafe diagnostic testing is, of course, gene mutation testing.</i>

I hope that helps a little.

AnD

I found this on sweat testing, from <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.aleph0.com/~chjones/medicine/medschool/core/ppp/02-cf-obj5-clinical.html">link</a> :

<i>Clinical diagnosis
Diagnosis is most often made on the basis of a sweat chloride concentration test. Chloride is normally present in perspiration, and the CFTR typically reclaims chloride back into the body. Note that this is the opposite of the typical problems of CF above. In CF, of course, the CFTR does not work properly, causing an abnormally high level of chloride (and, due to the electrochemical gradient, sodium) in the sweat. In the sweat test, a small area of skin, usually the forearm, has a chemical and a small electrical stimulation supplied to force sweat for 30-40 minutes onto a piece of gauze or filter paper wrapped in plastic. The result is analyzed for salt concentration; above 60 mmol/L is considered consistent with CF (below 40 is normal). <b>The sweat salt concentration does not change with age or with temporary illnesses such as cold, and is positive in the vast majority of CF patients.</b>
In some symptomatic CF patients with normal sweat tests, and in young infants who do not produce enough sweat to measure, an immunoreactive trypsinogen test can test for pancreatic insufficiency. This test, however, gives a large number of false positives and even a real positive may have causes unrelated to CF.

AnD

<i>Clinical diagnosis

AnD

<i>Clinical diagnosis

AnD

<i>Clinical diagnosis