son losing pancreatic sufficiency?

hmw

Emily was not dx'ed until she was 7, so anything about her health when she was little we cannot be completely certain of. But I think she went through a big change when she was about 3. Her weight and height were about 65/80% on the charts, she'd always maintained that consistent curve from infancy till age 3; she was even chunky as a baby! ...and then she just flatlined on the charts and she was in the 5th% for wt/ht by the time she was dx'ed. During that time, she never stopped eating- as a matter of fact, as time went on, the hungrier she got. Now, if she was dx'ed earlier, I don't think she would have dropped off so much on the charts (we would have had the chance to start enzymes), but that was when things changed for her.

hmw

Emily was not dx'ed until she was 7, so anything about her health when she was little we cannot be completely certain of. But I think she went through a big change when she was about 3. Her weight and height were about 65/80% on the charts, she'd always maintained that consistent curve from infancy till age 3; she was even chunky as a baby! ...and then she just flatlined on the charts and she was in the 5th% for wt/ht by the time she was dx'ed. During that time, she never stopped eating- as a matter of fact, as time went on, the hungrier she got. Now, if she was dx'ed earlier, I don't think she would have dropped off so much on the charts (we would have had the chance to start enzymes), but that was when things changed for her.

hmw

hmw

hmw

mommy2diego

thanks for all the input. I've been kind of wrestling with the idea that this might be happening. I was asking the nutritionist if he could avoid losing weight if he was eating an insane amount of calories.... (which he does. this kid eats like a horse. The school actually asked me if we were having money problems at home... they thought he wasn't eating at home because he was eating double snacks, 2 lunch trays etc...) I, on the other hand thought he was not eating at school because he would get off the bus and be begging for lunch... little did I know that this would be his 3rd lunch. He eats 2 full dinners as well. So, for what he is eating, I would think he would be overweight. So now it's kinda thrown up a red flag that he's had no growth at all. I'm curious to see if he starts going the other way, and losing it. I'm in the process of trying to collect all these stool samples... as they are trying to rule out parasites or anything else that could cause a problem. the GI says it sounds like malabsorbtion to her... so i guess the numbers will show something, and I suppose if he continues to not gain or starts to lose he might be started on enzymes anyway. we'll see.

mommy2diego

thanks for all the input. I've been kind of wrestling with the idea that this might be happening. I was asking the nutritionist if he could avoid losing weight if he was eating an insane amount of calories.... (which he does. this kid eats like a horse. The school actually asked me if we were having money problems at home... they thought he wasn't eating at home because he was eating double snacks, 2 lunch trays etc...) I, on the other hand thought he was not eating at school because he would get off the bus and be begging for lunch... little did I know that this would be his 3rd lunch. He eats 2 full dinners as well. So, for what he is eating, I would think he would be overweight. So now it's kinda thrown up a red flag that he's had no growth at all. I'm curious to see if he starts going the other way, and losing it. I'm in the process of trying to collect all these stool samples... as they are trying to rule out parasites or anything else that could cause a problem. the GI says it sounds like malabsorbtion to her... so i guess the numbers will show something, and I suppose if he continues to not gain or starts to lose he might be started on enzymes anyway. we'll see.

mommy2diego

mommy2diego

mommy2diego

RebekahsMom

Before my daughter was diagnosed at 21 1/2 months old, she was constantly eating any food she would see. She was also drinking a lot of milk. Because her father has a high metabolism rate, we thought that was why she would eat so much but not gain any weight. At 13 months old, she weighed 19 pounds. At diagnosis she weighed 20 pounds. Once she started her enzymes after diagnosis, she started gaining weight and her appetite leveled out.

RebekahsMom

Before my daughter was diagnosed at 21 1/2 months old, she was constantly eating any food she would see. She was also drinking a lot of milk. Because her father has a high metabolism rate, we thought that was why she would eat so much but not gain any weight. At 13 months old, she weighed 19 pounds. At diagnosis she weighed 20 pounds. Once she started her enzymes after diagnosis, she started gaining weight and her appetite leveled out.

RebekahsMom

RebekahsMom

RebekahsMom