SOOOO Mad! Cough is coming back

M

MCGrad2006

Is this normal? I do not have much experience with prednisone and I am starting to get PISSED. I started it last Tuesday (2 doses twice a day for three days and then 1 dose per day for 2 days) and as I started to taper off, my cough started coming back. I am not coughing during the day, but I was up until 3:30 this morning hacking. I used Albuterol, water, tea, cough meds (had NO other choice) and I think I was finally so exhausted I just fell asleep. I feel as if my breathing is very good though...no more tightness, I can usually take deep breaths...I just do not know.

I am also on Zyvox and Casyton at the moment, so I really should not be getting a lung infection. By my calculations, these antibiotics should at least be helping to prevent the stuff from moving to my lungs.

Please help! I was supposed to be feeling better after the sinus surgery, not worse...and I do NOT HAVE TIME to go on IV's.

Is there something else I can suggest (maybe I am getting resistant to the Zyvox??)? I have PA, MRSA and when in the hospital cultured a bit of aspergillus...suggestions please?? Looks like I will be on the phone with Dr. again tomorrow.

M

MCGrad2006

Is this normal? I do not have much experience with prednisone and I am starting to get PISSED. I started it last Tuesday (2 doses twice a day for three days and then 1 dose per day for 2 days) and as I started to taper off, my cough started coming back. I am not coughing during the day, but I was up until 3:30 this morning hacking. I used Albuterol, water, tea, cough meds (had NO other choice) and I think I was finally so exhausted I just fell asleep. I feel as if my breathing is very good though...no more tightness, I can usually take deep breaths...I just do not know.

I am also on Zyvox and Casyton at the moment, so I really should not be getting a lung infection. By my calculations, these antibiotics should at least be helping to prevent the stuff from moving to my lungs.

Please help! I was supposed to be feeling better after the sinus surgery, not worse...and I do NOT HAVE TIME to go on IV's.

Is there something else I can suggest (maybe I am getting resistant to the Zyvox??)? I have PA, MRSA and when in the hospital cultured a bit of aspergillus...suggestions please?? Looks like I will be on the phone with Dr. again tomorrow.

M

MCGrad2006

<br />
<br />I am also on Zyvox and Casyton at the moment, so I really should not be getting a lung infection. By my calculations, these antibiotics should at least be helping to prevent the stuff from moving to my lungs.
<br />
<br />Please help! I was supposed to be feeling better after the sinus surgery, not worse...and I do NOT HAVE TIME to go on IV's.
<br />
<br />Is there something else I can suggest (maybe I am getting resistant to the Zyvox??)? I have PA, MRSA and when in the hospital cultured a bit of aspergillus...suggestions please?? Looks like I will be on the phone with Dr. again tomorrow.

tesorotiffa

Girl I've been dealing with this for over a year now! I was really sick and iv meds wouldn't really even help. I started Prednisone and I haven't been in the hospital in over a year. I take 10mg/day with the intention of eventually tapering to 5mg per day and then hopefully completely off of it. It seems like every time I try to taper down, something causes me to go back to 10mg. Right now I'm on 5mg (for the past few days) and I've already seen an increase in cough. So I'm probably gonna bump back up to 7.5mg. I'm not sure what all is available for you to try, but I hope you are able to find something! For me, Prednisone seems to be the only drug I need (as I'm currently off of all antibiotics). I know it's frustrating!

tesorotiffa

Girl I've been dealing with this for over a year now! I was really sick and iv meds wouldn't really even help. I started Prednisone and I haven't been in the hospital in over a year. I take 10mg/day with the intention of eventually tapering to 5mg per day and then hopefully completely off of it. It seems like every time I try to taper down, something causes me to go back to 10mg. Right now I'm on 5mg (for the past few days) and I've already seen an increase in cough. So I'm probably gonna bump back up to 7.5mg. I'm not sure what all is available for you to try, but I hope you are able to find something! For me, Prednisone seems to be the only drug I need (as I'm currently off of all antibiotics). I know it's frustrating!

tesorotiffa