Sores on bum

samb

<br>My 14 month old daughter has been getting bumps/sores on her bum after a poo. Is it caused from her enzymes? I remember when she was first diagnosed they kept asking if she was gettin any sores and she never had until up to about a week ago. Now with it being christmas holidays I can't get ahold of anyone at clinic to ask. If they are caused by her enzymes what should i be doing?? Thanks

samb

<br>My 14 month old daughter has been getting bumps/sores on her bum after a poo. Is it caused from her enzymes? I remember when she was first diagnosed they kept asking if she was gettin any sores and she never had until up to about a week ago. Now with it being christmas holidays I can't get ahold of anyone at clinic to ask. If they are caused by her enzymes what should i be doing?? Thanks

samb

i should add that it is not normal diaper rash and that she doesnt get anything like this ever

samb

i should add that it is not normal diaper rash and that she doesnt get anything like this ever

rubyroselee

<P>Are they red, raised bumps? In my past experience, we found out my son was allergic to cultured milk products (yogurt, cottage cheese, etc) after he started getting red, raised bumps on his bottom. Could be a food allergy perhaps. Another cause for butt rash is a yeast infection. If it's candida (yeast), you will also see white patches in her mouth as well. </P>
<P></P>
<P>I am not familiar if enzymes would cause that.Good luck and Merry Xmas!</P>

rubyroselee

<P>Are they red, raised bumps? In my past experience, we found out my son was allergic to cultured milk products (yogurt, cottage cheese, etc) after he started getting red, raised bumps on his bottom. Could be a food allergy perhaps. Another cause for butt rash is a yeast infection. If it's candida (yeast), you will also see white patches in her mouth as well. </P>
<P></P>
<P>I am not familiar if enzymes would cause that.Good luck and Merry Xmas!</P>

samb

I am familiar with yeast infections as my other daughter commonly gets them. her whole cheek will look red and the bumps actually are raised and white? some look like sores more than bumps and actually look like they could be almost bleeding? my older daughter was also allergic to her diapers as a child but it doesnt even look the same as that. i have been letting her air out after a bum change and they seem to go down but as soon as she poops again they are back. it has been like this the last week or so.

samb

I am familiar with yeast infections as my other daughter commonly gets them. her whole cheek will look red and the bumps actually are raised and white? some look like sores more than bumps and actually look like they could be almost bleeding? my older daughter was also allergic to her diapers as a child but it doesnt even look the same as that. i have been letting her air out after a bum change and they seem to go down but as soon as she poops again they are back. it has been like this the last week or so.

LouLou

MRSA. hate to say it but it's likely what it is. Has she ever cultured MRSA by throat swab? After each bm wash her with soap and warm water and wash cloth. Fresh cloth each time. Wash clothes in hot water with bleach too if you can. Make sure everyone who diaper changes her washes hands thoroughly. Oh and change pjs nightly and bed weekly. Towels use once. If it gets worse she may need to go on bactroban or bleach baths to resolve.

LouLou

MRSA. hate to say it but it's likely what it is. Has she ever cultured MRSA by throat swab? After each bm wash her with soap and warm water and wash cloth. Fresh cloth each time. Wash clothes in hot water with bleach too if you can. Make sure everyone who diaper changes her washes hands thoroughly. Oh and change pjs nightly and bed weekly. Towels use once. If it gets worse she may need to go on bactroban or bleach baths to resolve.

samb

what is mrsa? she has never cultured anything before. if you would rather email me you could sambruder @ hotmail.com

samb

what is mrsa? she has never cultured anything before. if you would rather email me you could sambruder @ hotmail.com

LouLou

nearly all people have staph on our skin. it is estimated that 1/3 of the medical community in the US are colonized with MRSA (methicillin resistant Staph Aureus). Many people in the community, even healthy people, have this community spread super bug. It is opportunistic so while a healthy person may not show signs even though they could be carrying it in their sinuses, one that is a bit under the weather or stricken with a disease like cf may fall pray. When a person with cf gets a cold (a virus) the MRSA (a bacteria) may step up and make the person more sick with cough etc. It also manifests it self in sores. I find when my son is sick with a cold he is more likely to have sores on his rear. He still wears a diaper at night. I know it's MRSA because one time I made the doctor lance one off and send it in to the lab. It was postivie for MRSA.

LouLou

nearly all people have staph on our skin. it is estimated that 1/3 of the medical community in the US are colonized with MRSA (methicillin resistant Staph Aureus). Many people in the community, even healthy people, have this community spread super bug. It is opportunistic so while a healthy person may not show signs even though they could be carrying it in their sinuses, one that is a bit under the weather or stricken with a disease like cf may fall pray. When a person with cf gets a cold (a virus) the MRSA (a bacteria) may step up and make the person more sick with cough etc. It also manifests it self in sores. I find when my son is sick with a cold he is more likely to have sores on his rear. He still wears a diaper at night. I know it's MRSA because one time I made the doctor lance one off and send it in to the lab. It was postivie for MRSA.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
You can get sores on the bottom from enzymes. DS would get a bright red bottom from poo if it was in contact with his skin for even a brief amount of time, so we used a triple paste -- the one I used was specificially for incontinent adults and would only come off with bathing, so it formed a barrier on the skin to protect it.

When he was in the hospital a few years ago and had to wear an overnight due to all the IV fluids, he developed a sandpaper like rash, which I believe was more heat or yeast-like. Went away with bathing.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
You can get sores on the bottom from enzymes. DS would get a bright red bottom from poo if it was in contact with his skin for even a brief amount of time, so we used a triple paste -- the one I used was specificially for incontinent adults and would only come off with bathing, so it formed a barrier on the skin to protect it.

When he was in the hospital a few years ago and had to wear an overnight due to all the IV fluids, he developed a sandpaper like rash, which I believe was more heat or yeast-like. Went away with bathing.

samb

yes lisa that sounds more like her sores. it is bright red and seems to go away once the poo is off her skin. i am going to contact the clinic as soon as they are back fropm holidays tho to make sure.

samb

yes lisa that sounds more like her sores. it is bright red and seems to go away once the poo is off her skin. i am going to contact the clinic as soon as they are back fropm holidays tho to make sure.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We used a lot of triple paste on DS, every time we changed him, we'd apply it. I'd gotten the original tube from the NICU nurses and it was called critic-aid paste. So I found it online and bought a case of it when he was a baby. He pooped a LOT during his first couple years and his stools were never well formed, so he got easily irritated. Bathing helped, too.

I've seen other brands at the drugstore. There's some called Boudreaux's Butt Paste, but it's not as thick.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We used a lot of triple paste on DS, every time we changed him, we'd apply it. I'd gotten the original tube from the NICU nurses and it was called critic-aid paste. So I found it online and bought a case of it when he was a baby. He pooped a LOT during his first couple years and his stools were never well formed, so he got easily irritated. Bathing helped, too.

I've seen other brands at the drugstore. There's some called Boudreaux's Butt Paste, but it's not as thick.