Speak Out for Sarah Murnaghan

Printer

VAmom

Four patients die every week while waiting for a donor lung. That is 208 people each year. I have to believe that someone trusted with the selection process chose wisely in determining that Sarah should get her donor lung. Let us not forget that as she now has a chance to live, someone else will die.

As to Obama Care, this has been the greatest gift possible to those of us with CF. No longer can we be refused insurance coverage because of our pre-existing condition. No longer can insurance companies cap the amount of allowable coverage annually. When the last six months rolls around, they can no longer say "sorry, you have used your annual benefits". Children are no longer dropped from parents insurance, because they had a 18th birthday.

When you blamed Obama Care for the Lung Donor selection process, you expressed your knowledge of Obama Care. It bothers me, that someone out here would read your post and believe you. The House of Representatives has successfully passed a bill, 34 times, to overturn Obama Care. Thank the CF Gods that none of these 34 could pass the Senate.

Like I said earlier. You are entitled to your own OPINION but you are not entitled to your own FACTS.

Bill

NathanL

Sarah Murnaghan's mother reports on Facebook that Sarah is not doing well. Still on the vent and appears to still be sedated. This is not good news. From experience, my wife and I know that trimmed lungs create much higher risks both short and long term. Praying she improves and does well, but I can't help but wonder if the rules hadn't been broken for her, how much better off she might have been had she received lungs that fit her little body and could grow with her.

triples15

Super Moderator
Sarah Murnaghan's mother reports on Facebook that Sarah is not doing well. Still on the vent and appears to still be sedated. This is not good news. From experience, my wife and I know that trimmed lungs create much higher risks both short and long term. Praying she improves and does well, but I can't help but wonder if the rules hadn't been broken for her, how much better off she might have been had she received lungs that fit her little body and could grow with her.

I just read last night that Sarah's first transplant failed within 24 hours and she was immediately back on the transplant list. She received a second double lung transplant 3 days later. I can't help but wonder why this was not reported until now, when everything else about her case was so highly publicized. She has a partially paralyzed diaphragm and was going to have surgery today to try to repair it. From what I understand she still is not breathing on her own.

I can't say for sure how I feel about the politics of it all. What i can say with absolute certainty is that if this were my daughter, you better believe I'd be doing the exact same thing these parents did. Any parent who tells you any different is either lying to you, or to themselves. I hope and pray she recovers and has many good years ahead.

Autumn 32 w/CF

R

RytheStunner

I just read last night that Sarah's first transplant failed within 24 hours and she was immediately back on the transplant list. She received a second double lung transplant 3 days later. I can't help but wonder why this was not reported until now, when everything else about her case was so highly publicized. She has a partially paralyzed diaphragm and was going to have surgery today to try to repair it. From what I understand she still is not breathing on her own.

I can't say for sure how I feel about the politics of it all. What i can say with absolute certainty is that if this were my daughter, you better believe I'd be doing the exact same thing these parents did. Any parent who tells you any different is either lying to you, or to themselves. I hope and pray she recovers and has many good years ahead.

Autumn 32 w/CF

It was never publicized because the family, the critics of the original law, and the media realized that the law was in place for the right reasons, and that publicizing the second transplant would force them to admit they were wrong.

triples15

Super Moderator
@ Ry,

I would have to agree with you, and was thinking the same thing.

They are saying, however, that it was "primary graft failure" and had nothing to do with adult lungs being transplanted into a pediatric patient.........

Overall, I still think breathinsteven summed up this issue so well.

S

SarahProcter

It was never publicized because the family, the critics of the original law, and the media realized that the law was in place for the right reasons, and that publicizing the second transplant would force them to admit they were wrong.

Blaming them for taking the lungs because they failed due to primary graft failure means you blame 10-15% of all lung transplant recipients, who also have their new lungs fail due to primary graft failure. It happens. It sucks. There has been nothing reported indicating that primary graft failure is linked to the size of the lungs or the treatment of the lungs during transplant, so I don't see how you can connect the two.