Speech

mistylavon

I think all children develop at different times and ages whether they have CF or not. My 4 yr. old (no CF) had a little bit of delay in speech, mainly with sounds and her phonics. She was screened through the school district right after she turned 3 at no charge and got free speech therapy for a full year. She just graduated out of it and is doing well with all of her age appropriate sounds. My almost 2 1/2 yr. old (w/ CF) is a whole other story. Her speech and talking is very advanced. She pretty much speaks in complete sentences and she could sing the full song "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" right after she turned 2, which was so amazing to us because our older daughter was much slower at starting to talk.

If you are concerned I would check and see what state program is available to have your child screened, i.e. some states have a program called Child Find.

Good Luck,
Misty

damiensmom

Thanks so much. I will talk to Dr Radford at clinic. He has done 1 round of tobi and we have had 3 clean cultures so far, but more concerning to me is the iv gentamicin he has had. I will always be watchfull of his hearing with the amnio glucyidies. I know that is not the correct spelling. I bet he will be talking more soon. He is getting by just fine, he makes sure he gets his point across. Im sure he will catch up. It surely wont hurt to push for a hearing check, does speech go with a hearing test? Thank you Amber. They are so beautifull when they sleep.

damiensmom

Thanks so much. I will talk to Dr Radford at clinic. He has done 1 round of tobi and we have had 3 clean cultures so far, but more concerning to me is the iv gentamicin he has had. I will always be watchfull of his hearing with the amnio glucyidies. I know that is not the correct spelling. I bet he will be talking more soon. He is getting by just fine, he makes sure he gets his point across. Im sure he will catch up. It surely wont hurt to push for a hearing check, does speech go with a hearing test? Thank you Amber. They are so beautifull when they sleep.

damiensmom

M

Mommafirst

Hi Damien's Mom!!

My daughter is 15 months and isn't say much either. I brought it up to the pedi and she decided we should go for a speech and hearing eval to rule out hearing issues. I think she hears just fine, but I'm willing to go -- all those antibiotics scared the pedi about her hearing I guess.

I'm pretty sure its normal. Speech development is not a stead curve, it comes it big blasts and spikes. All of a sudden they litterally explode, but when that happens is different for each kiddo.

M

Mommafirst

Hi Damien's Mom!!

My daughter is 15 months and isn't say much either. I brought it up to the pedi and she decided we should go for a speech and hearing eval to rule out hearing issues. I think she hears just fine, but I'm willing to go -- all those antibiotics scared the pedi about her hearing I guess.

I'm pretty sure its normal. Speech development is not a stead curve, it comes it big blasts and spikes. All of a sudden they litterally explode, but when that happens is different for each kiddo.

M

Mommafirst

Hi Damien's Mom!!

PACmommy

I agree with most kids learn on a different curve, my first child was talking full sentences by a year and my third is almost 2 and only says a handful of words, they're all different.
I would also suggest you be aware of how much you do for your son for the sake of time (we are all busy and sometimes it's just easier). Hold back the temptation to interpret for him and do or get what he wants , instead make him attempt to articulate his needs. After time he might start to try more words.

PACmommy

I agree with most kids learn on a different curve, my first child was talking full sentences by a year and my third is almost 2 and only says a handful of words, they're all different.
I would also suggest you be aware of how much you do for your son for the sake of time (we are all busy and sometimes it's just easier). Hold back the temptation to interpret for him and do or get what he wants , instead make him attempt to articulate his needs. After time he might start to try more words.

PACmommy

erinjenkins

My son has been placed in speech therepy through our public schools. We started this when he was about 2 1/2 because of the came issues. The speech therepist told us that in children who have lung problems sometimes their little bodies need to concentrate on other things, like growing and breathing, that other things are not a priority, like speech.

We've been doing speech for about 6 months and he's shown great improvement. I would ask your Dr, but also see if he would qualify for any early childhood programs through your schools. They are a great help and great support system.

erinjenkins

My son has been placed in speech therepy through our public schools. We started this when he was about 2 1/2 because of the came issues. The speech therepist told us that in children who have lung problems sometimes their little bodies need to concentrate on other things, like growing and breathing, that other things are not a priority, like speech.

We've been doing speech for about 6 months and he's shown great improvement. I would ask your Dr, but also see if he would qualify for any early childhood programs through your schools. They are a great help and great support system.

erinjenkins

katyf13

Hello! I happen to be a speech-language pathologist in early intervention in Rhode Island. What state do you live in? Early Intervention varies by state, but in RI is is absolutley free for everyone. We come to your home, do an evaluation and provide therapy. I see most kids make big improvements. The "norm" is that at 24 months, kids should be saying about 50 words and starting to combine them into 2 word phrases. It is better NOT to "wait and see". Feel free to pm me with any questions!

katyf13

Hello! I happen to be a speech-language pathologist in early intervention in Rhode Island. What state do you live in? Early Intervention varies by state, but in RI is is absolutley free for everyone. We come to your home, do an evaluation and provide therapy. I see most kids make big improvements. The "norm" is that at 24 months, kids should be saying about 50 words and starting to combine them into 2 word phrases. It is better NOT to "wait and see". Feel free to pm me with any questions!

katyf13