Sponges?

MargaritaChic

Do you use sponges to clean your dishes?
If no, what do you use instead?

I have heard that sponges can harbor alot of bacteria and I worry about them because of the fact that they stay wet for so long.

If you do use sponges...
How often do you throw them out?
Do you microwave them to kill bacteria?
How do you limit the bacteria?

MargaritaChic

I have heard that sponges can harbor alot of bacteria and I worry about them because of the fact that they stay wet for so long.

If you do use sponges...

MargaritaChic

If you do use sponges...

MargaritaChic

If you do use sponges...

MargaritaChic

<br />If no, what do you use instead?
<br />
<br />I have heard that sponges can harbor alot of bacteria and I worry about them because of the fact that they stay wet for so long.
<br />
<br />If you do use sponges...
<br />How often do you throw them out?
<br />Do you microwave them to kill bacteria?
<br />How do you limit the bacteria?

moosemom

In another life I was a real "germ-a-phobe" (I couldn't spell then either) ... Yes, I use sponges, don't know what to use instead ... "THEY" say if you put the sponge in the dishwasher that helps kill whatever might be growing, I do it every time I remember...
Changing i.e. throwing out or using the old ones to clean the bathroom instead of the kitchen is good a good trick too.
Finally, I regularly put them (kitchen sponges only)in the microwave and and cook the "crap" out of it. Only wet sponges in the microwave, kinda like boiling the nebs -- I have found expensive "natural sponges" from trader joes or whole foods hold up best. be careful they are HOTTTT when they first come out.
Can't wait to see what everyone else does...

Marci

moosemom

In another life I was a real "germ-a-phobe" (I couldn't spell then either) ... Yes, I use sponges, don't know what to use instead ... "THEY" say if you put the sponge in the dishwasher that helps kill whatever might be growing, I do it every time I remember...
Changing i.e. throwing out or using the old ones to clean the bathroom instead of the kitchen is good a good trick too.
Finally, I regularly put them (kitchen sponges only)in the microwave and and cook the "crap" out of it. Only wet sponges in the microwave, kinda like boiling the nebs -- I have found expensive "natural sponges" from trader joes or whole foods hold up best. be careful they are HOTTTT when they first come out.

Marci

moosemom

Marci

moosemom

Marci

moosemom

<br />Changing i.e. throwing out or using the old ones to clean the bathroom instead of the kitchen is good a good trick too.
<br />Finally, I regularly put them (kitchen sponges only)in the microwave and and cook the "crap" out of it. Only wet sponges in the microwave, kinda like boiling the nebs -- I have found expensive "natural sponges" from trader joes or whole foods hold up best. be careful they are HOTTTT when they first come out.
<br />Can't wait to see what everyone else does...
<br />
<br />Marci

blindhearted

I use dish rags (they are about the size of wash cloths). After I use them, I let them dry and before I wash dishes again, I get a new one. I wash the dirty ones in hot water with the rest of my towels, and add color safe bleach. We received a ton of dish rags when we got married, so I have plenty to go through.

blindhearted

I use dish rags (they are about the size of wash cloths). After I use them, I let them dry and before I wash dishes again, I get a new one. I wash the dirty ones in hot water with the rest of my towels, and add color safe bleach. We received a ton of dish rags when we got married, so I have plenty to go through.

blindhearted

blindhearted

blindhearted

dyza

We use cleaning utensils with replaceable heads, steel wool and cloths....they are all kept in a tub of bleach and water solution, which gets changed weekly.

Craig

dyza

We use cleaning utensils with replaceable heads, steel wool and cloths....they are all kept in a tub of bleach and water solution, which gets changed weekly.

Craig

dyza

Craig

dyza

Craig

dyza

<br />
<br />Craig